PDA

View Full Version : Re: Multi-sport, all-around jacket/shell?

Donovan Rebbechi
September 20th 04, 10:27 PM
On 2004-09-20, PCB > wrote:
> Is there a good, uninsulated, waterproof/breathable jacket, patterned
> for cycling, but with a removable hood? I would like to have one shell
> jacket that I can wear for many different sports as well as for general
> usage. I use to wear a parka, but it was so long that I had to unzip
> the bottom upwards part of the way in order to ride a bike (and then
> the tail would catch on my bike¹s seat). So I want something with
> either a drop-tail or high-cut side (drop front/tail). A removable
> hood is important to me too, as are pit-zips.
>
> I bought the $40 ³seam sealed rain jacket² from PerformanceBike. It
> has a very functional design. The fabric it is made out of is supposed
> to be breathable, but it¹s not even close to that.
>
> So, who can tell me what options I have to choose from?

(*) A good jacket will probably cost you more than $40-
(*) There's a tradeoff between waterproof and breathable
(*) Most brands that sell running clothes market to cyclists, so most
of the jackets have a drop-tail. Clothes made by Pearl Izumi and Sugoi
are usually cyclist-friendly.
(*) A removable hood (or for that matter any hood) will narrow the field
considerably, very few jackets have this (runners generally wear a removable
hat when it's cold). Pit zips are fairly common.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Stewy
September 21st 04, 12:18 PM
PCB wrote:

> I bought the $40 ³seam sealed rain jacket² from PerformanceBike. It
> has a very functional design. The fabric it is made out of is supposed
> to be breathable, but it¹s not even close to that.
>
> So, who can tell me what options I have to choose from?

get a lightweight shell made form E-Vent material.
this stuff DOES breath when wet, goretx wont.

PCB
September 22nd 04, 04:56 AM
In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> wrote:

> (*) A good jacket will probably cost you more than $40-

I'm willing to pay more. I just couldn't remember the official name
for the jacket I have.

Here it is, the PerformanceBike Nanaimo jacket. A design that is
nearly good enough for me, unfortunately built from of a heavy duty
plastic bag:
http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/400/10_2755.jpg

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14598&subcategory_ID
=1130

I'm mentioning it for an example of a structural design that I prefer.
If I could make my own uninsulated jacket, it would have the same
structural features as the Nanaimo.

> (*) There's a tradeoff between waterproof and breathable

Let me then state what I need as a *windproof*, breathable,
water-resistant jacket with drop-tail, pit-zips, and removable hood.

> (*) Most brands that sell running clothes market to cyclists, so most
> of the jackets have a drop-tail. Clothes made by Pearl Izumi and Sugoi
> are usually cyclist-friendly.

Unfortunately most of the ones I can find have either no hood, or a
permanently attached hood.

> (*) A removable hood (or for that matter any hood) will narrow the field
> considerably, very few jackets have this (runners generally wear a removable
> hat when it's cold).

Yes, but I figure that if something were available, it would be popular
enough that more than a few people would have one and someone could
tell me what it was. Hence my asking about it. I figure that if a
runner or cyclist did want a jacket with a hood, they would want it
even more if the hood was removable since it would offer options.

--
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ O ALERT: Please help a friend find
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ / / his abducted son by visiting:

Donovan Rebbechi
September 22nd 04, 05:46 AM
On 2004-09-22, PCB > wrote:

>> (*) There's a tradeoff between waterproof and breathable
>
> Let me then state what I need as a *windproof*, breathable,
> water-resistant jacket with drop-tail, pit-zips, and removable hood.

Plenty with all those features except the hood.

> Unfortunately most of the ones I can find have either no hood, or a
> permanently attached hood.

Right.

> Yes, but I figure that if something were available, it would be popular
> enough that more than a few people would have one and someone could
> tell me what it was. Hence my asking about it. I figure that if a
> runner or cyclist did want a jacket with a hood, they would want it
> even more if the hood was removable since it would offer options.

Most don't want one with a hood. Most runners wear hats, which are removable.

If you're looking for jackets with hoods, brands like Marmot, Mountain
Hardwear, etc -- hiking/ski/outdoor brands, are more likely to have hoods.
The better ones should have some way to keep the hood out the way when it's not
needed (for example, the precip jacket hood rolls up and is held in place with
a velcro attachment)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Donovan Rebbechi
September 22nd 04, 05:54 AM
On 2004-09-22, PCB > wrote:
> Hey, I just found the Voyager shell by Hind, on closeout for $50 USD.
>
> Anyone have/had this and can give me an opinion of it? Google groups
> search of the product turns up empty. Is this thing windproof,
> breathable, and water-resistant? Any issues with it that make it a bad
> deal?

Looks pretty good, has all the features you'd want (plus a few extra) for
something in that category. breathability should be no worse than any other
hacket (in fact slightly better if you take advantage of the removable
sleeves).

If you're very concerned about breathability, you could consider getting a
vest with a mesh back, or a top made of windproof material (like sporthill
makes) but these obviously aren't as water resistant (and don't have hoods)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Neil Gendzwill
September 22nd 04, 06:40 PM
Mountain Equipment Coop sells what you need. Go to www.mec.ca and
search for the "Zik" cycling jacket. Gore-Tex XCR, zip-off hood.
Doesn't say pit zips in the description but I think I see them in the
picture. If that jacket doesn't suit, MEC has a ton of other
well-designed, reasonably priced products. Unless you catch a closeout
sale of high end gear like Marmot, you'll never get better value for
money than MEC equipment.

Here's a direct link, it's awful long so watch that you get it all:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=668663&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=782085&bmUID=1095874434918

Neil

Jack Fortune
September 23rd 04, 04:39 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:38:36 -0500, PCB >
wrote:

>Is there a good, uninsulated, waterproof/breathable jacket, patterned
>for cycling, but with a removable hood? I would like to have one shell
>jacket that I can wear for many different sports as well as for general
>usage. I use to wear a parka, but it was so long that I had to unzip
>the bottom upwards part of the way in order to ride a bike (and then
>the tail would catch on my bike¹s seat). So I want something with
>either a drop-tail or high-cut side (drop front/tail). A removable
>hood is important to me too, as are pit-zips.
>
>I bought the $40 ³seam sealed rain jacket² from PerformanceBike. It
>has a very functional design. The fabric it is made out of is supposed
>to be breathable, but it¹s not even close to that.
>
>So, who can tell me what options I have to choose from?

You might want to consider the Elite Century Jacket:

http://showerspass.com/products.html

It seems to meet all of your stated requirements - eVent, pit-zips,
drop-tail, removable hood.

regards,

Jack Fortune
Eugene, Oregon

Bill
September 24th 04, 04:02 PM
"PCB" > wrote in message
> Is there a good, uninsulated, waterproof/breathable jacket, patterned
> for cycling, but with a removable hood? I would like to have one shell
> jacket that I can wear for many different sports as well as for general
> usage. I use to wear a parka, but it was so long that I had to unzip
> the bottom upwards part of the way in order to ride a bike (and then
> the tail would catch on my bike¹s seat). So I want something with
> either a drop-tail or high-cut side (drop front/tail). A removable
> hood is important to me too, as are pit-zips.
>
> I bought the $40 ³seam sealed rain jacket² from PerformanceBike. It
> has a very functional design. The fabric it is made out of is supposed
> to be breathable, but it¹s not even close to that.
>
> So, who can tell me what options I have to choose from?
>
> --
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ O ALERT: Please help a friend find
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ / / his abducted son by visiting:
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ // http://www.haveyouseenskye.com
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯ ©"""""""""""© Thanks.

Having looked for the magic perfect shell several times I have yet to find
one as functional as a Performance Entrant jacket I bought more than 10
years ago. As for features, the Performance Commuter jacket look as close as
it gets right now. I don't know if the "coating" is supposed to be
breathable, has lots of ventilation though.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19310&subcategory_ID=1130

My experience suggests that NO jacket that will stop rain as opposed to a
little mist and drizzle will breathe sufficiently if you ride at an aerobic
level. Your primary concern needs to be adjustable ventilation. Pit zips,
rear vent, cuffs that have Velcro as well as elastic so they can be open to
air flow and also be pushed up your arm. Front zipper must be two way so you
can open up bottom and top. I've never found a hood useful on the bike but a
helmet cover can be a winner. Gyro used to make one with a Gortex panel that
was perfect. The only I can find anymore is a Louis Garneau which is only
available in black. Why would you want to wear black in the rain? Good for
the cold though. Good luck in your search.
Bill Brannon

GaryD
October 27th 04, 02:13 AM
A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
California.
The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
Gortex
even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
feel.

Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :

http://www.showerspass.com/products.html

--
GaryD

[...]

Badger South
October 27th 04, 02:38 AM
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:13:25 +1000, GaryD
> wrote:

>A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
>California.
>The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
>Gortex
>even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
>conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
>feel.
>
>Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :
>
>http://www.showerspass.com/products.html

Nice. How is it with the 'drogue chute' aspect? Is sizing smaller than
most, IOW, I'm taking a large, but that will definitely be tight in the
arms (18" bicep/tricep).

I got out on the roads wearing my trail riding jacket and what is nice at
12-15mph, totally Suck on the road, sleeves and underarms catching the
wind. I was thinking..'-now- Iknow why cyclists get form fitting _cycling_
jackets and not a wind breaker jacket at Dick's. LOL.

-B

Badger South
October 27th 04, 02:38 AM
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:13:25 +1000, GaryD
> wrote:

>A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
>California.
>The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
>Gortex
>even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
>conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
>feel.
>
>Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :
>
>http://www.showerspass.com/products.html

Nice. How is it with the 'drogue chute' aspect? Is sizing smaller than
most, IOW, I'm taking a large, but that will definitely be tight in the
arms (18" bicep/tricep).

I got out on the roads wearing my trail riding jacket and what is nice at
12-15mph, totally Suck on the road, sleeves and underarms catching the
wind. I was thinking..'-now- Iknow why cyclists get form fitting _cycling_
jackets and not a wind breaker jacket at Dick's. LOL.

-B

Badger South
October 27th 04, 02:38 AM
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:13:25 +1000, GaryD
> wrote:

>A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
>California.
>The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
>Gortex
>even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
>conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
>feel.
>
>Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :
>
>http://www.showerspass.com/products.html

Nice. How is it with the 'drogue chute' aspect? Is sizing smaller than
most, IOW, I'm taking a large, but that will definitely be tight in the
arms (18" bicep/tricep).

I got out on the roads wearing my trail riding jacket and what is nice at
12-15mph, totally Suck on the road, sleeves and underarms catching the
wind. I was thinking..'-now- Iknow why cyclists get form fitting _cycling_
jackets and not a wind breaker jacket at Dick's. LOL.

-B

GaryD
October 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Badger South Wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:13:25 +1000, GaryD
> > wrote:
>

> >A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
> >California.
> >The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
> >Gortex
> >even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
> >conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
> >feel.
> >
> >Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :
> >
> >http://www.showerspass.com/products.html
>
> Nice. How is it with the 'drogue chute' aspect? Is sizing smaller than
> most, IOW, I'm taking a large, but that will definitely be tight in the
> arms (18" bicep/tricep).
>
> I got out on the roads wearing my trail riding jacket and what is nice
> at
> 12-15mph, totally Suck on the road, sleeves and underarms catching the
> wind. I was thinking..'-now- Iknow why cyclists get form fitting
> _cycling_
> jackets and not a wind breaker jacket at Dick's. LOL.
>
> -B
I would email them about size I take a large 5 9 200 lbs 42 size
jacket there large fits me
great . Snug is right this kit is very nice. I would find a retailer
that carries this kit and try it on to be sure.

Cheers

--
GaryD

GaryD
October 27th 04, 04:53 AM

Badger South Wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:13:25 +1000, GaryD
> > wrote:
>

> >A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
> >California.
> >The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
> >Gortex
> >even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
> >conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
> >feel.
> >
> >Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :
> >
> >http://www.showerspass.com/products.html
>
> Nice. How is it with the 'drogue chute' aspect? Is sizing smaller than
> most, IOW, I'm taking a large, but that will definitely be tight in the
> arms (18" bicep/tricep).
>
> I got out on the roads wearing my trail riding jacket and what is nice
> at
> 12-15mph, totally Suck on the road, sleeves and underarms catching the
> wind. I was thinking..'-now- Iknow why cyclists get form fitting
> _cycling_
> jackets and not a wind breaker jacket at Dick's. LOL.
>
> -B
I would email them about size I take a large 5 9 200 lbs 42 size
jacket there large fits me
great . Snug is right this kit is very nice. I would find a retailer
that carries this kit and try it on to be sure.

Cheers

--
GaryD

Badger South
October 27th 04, 05:25 AM
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:53:43 +1000, GaryD
> wrote:

>Badger South Wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:13:25 +1000, GaryD
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >A really nice Kit for cycling is made by Showers Pass in Northern
>> >California.
>> >The workmanship is great and the eVENT fabric is much better than
>> >Gortex
>> >even in it's newest incarnation XCR, ect.Have used it the worst
>> >conditions with superb results .Keeps you dry without that clamminess
>> >feel.
>> >
>> >Check out the the Elite Century eVent jacket here :
>> >
>> >http://www.showerspass.com/products.html
>>
>> Nice. How is it with the 'drogue chute' aspect? Is sizing smaller than
>> most, IOW, I'm taking a large, but that will definitely be tight in the
>> arms (18" bicep/tricep).
>>
>> I got out on the roads wearing my trail riding jacket and what is nice
>> at
>> 12-15mph, totally Suck on the road, sleeves and underarms catching the
>> wind. I was thinking..'-now- Iknow why cyclists get form fitting
>> _cycling_
>> jackets and not a wind breaker jacket at Dick's. LOL.
>>
>> -B
>I would email them about size I take a large 5 9 200 lbs 42 size
>jacket there large fits me
>great . Snug is right this kit is very nice. I would find a retailer
>that carries this kit and try it on to be sure.
>
>Cheers

I am almost exactly your size, 5'9 but 48" chest, 20lbs heavier. I'm
thinking I'd need an XL, then...I'll try to find a local. My LBS tends not
to have much clothing. The Performance shop, unlikely to carry that, ism.

thx

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home