PDA

View Full Version : spoke nipple size mystery

onewheeldave
August 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Recent wheel truing issues with my 29-er Nimbus have been excarbated by
two things: -

1. my own inexperience with wheel truing
2. what I thought was either an ill-fitting spoke key or worn spoke
nipples

1 is improving all the time as I've now spent a fair bit of time messing
around with tightening and loosening spokes in an effort to ensure the
tyre (2.1 notos) doesn't rub against the 28" round Nimbus frame- it's
quite a tight fit.

I've been hampered by the keys inability to tighten certain spokes. It's
a round key with various size holes, '14' is the one that fits the
nipples, but it's a loose fit that I'm sure has worn them to some
extent, and with some there's no possibility of tightening.

In a recent session I have tried removing the tyre and accessing the
screw tips with a screwdriver, but, for some reason they seem fragile
and, again on the tight ones, the slot tends to give way.

I got round it by purchasing some replacement nipples, which turn out to
be '15's, but which are a good fit to the '15' on the spoke key.

The plot thickened two days ago when I found the '15' hole on the key
seemed to fit all the spoke nipples on my Nimbus. A mystery as
previously it hadn't, but a happy one as it looked like I could now do a
proper truing.

However, trying it again later the '15' would no longer fit!?

It was then that I took a good close look at my key and found that,
opposite the '15' hole, was another '15' hole; furthermore, the other
'15' was not the exact same size- one hole fits the nipples of my
Nimbus, the other doesn't.

(Also, it has two '14' holes).

Today I went to the LBS the buy some more spoke nipples, it turns out
that the shops key says my Nimbus is size '14', however, with my round
spoke key the best fit is the second of the '15's.

Happily, I seem to be sorted now, as I know the source of the problem
and I now have 36 new spoke nipples so, if necessary I can replace all
the worn and ill fitting ones on my wheel.

But I'm just wondering if anyone can explain why my key has two
different size '15's, and also as a warning to anyone else with one of
these multi-size keys to have a good look at it before embarking on a
wheel truing session.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

mgrant
August 14th 04, 08:33 PM
The round spoke key you describe is a cheap and inaccurate tool. It's
convenient because it has various sizes but typically this type of spoke
wrench is not as precise as something like a Park Tools spoke wrench.

You should invest in a good spoke wrench if you plan on tinkering much
with wheel building/truing.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

mgrant
August 14th 04, 08:33 PM
The round spoke key you describe is a cheap and inaccurate tool. It's
convenient because it has various sizes but typically this type of spoke
wrench is not as precise as something like a Park Tools spoke wrench.

You should invest in a good spoke wrench if you plan on tinkering much
with wheel building/truing.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440