PDA

View Full Version : AccordNSX hit hard by Hurricane Charley

Frank A.
August 15th 04, 05:36 AM
I just spoke to Adam (AccordNSX) a few minutes ago. As alot of us know,
he lives in Port Charlotte, Fl. Port Charlotte and nearby Punta Gorda
were devastated when Hurricane Charley hit.

Adam has been living in Orlando the past few months with his brother
while attending college. He drove back to his parents home in Port
Charlotte before the storm hit. Most reports had projected the storm
hitting further north than it did. I spoke to him at about 3:00 p.m.
yesterday afternoon to see how he was making out. It wasn't long after
that that he lost power and then his house started to come apart. He and
his family had to all huddle together and hide in a closet as the house
was completely destroyed. He said it was a nightmare.

He also said the footage on TV does not come anywhere close to
portraying the actual conditions. They will be without electricity for
at least 2 weeks. There is no running water.

He called me from Sarasota which is about 40 minutes north of his
home. He had to go that far just so he could get a cell phone signal.
All of the towers are down.

I live on the east coast of Florida, near Fort Lauderdale and I lived
through Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I was lucky, it hit about 50 miles
south of me. We sustained damage but were spared this degree of
devastation.

Adam and everyone else in that part of the state are in for a rough
time. I don't know when I'll speak to him next but I was very glad to
hear he and his family were safe and I wanted to pass this information
along to the forum community.

- Frank

--
Frank A.

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

fluffinator007
August 15th 04, 08:46 AM
I think i speak for most all of us when i say we feel bad for him and
all others that were struck by the devastation. Nature is one powerful
mother (pun intended). I am fortunate enough to live in iowa where a
hurricane is the last thing id see, but we do get tornadoes. I do not
nor can i imagine the pain and inconvenience he and other citizens in
his area are enduring. I wish him and all others luck in the days to
come and thanks for their safety.

--
fluffinator007 - Expert UPD'ist

My image was voted out.
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

TheBadger587
August 15th 04, 11:23 AM
think on the bright side, leveled houses make neat trials courses.
seriously though, that's terrible and i hope everyone weathers this
storm OK. my only hurricane experience was a while ago when hurricane
Iniki(sp) pounded the neighbor islands and we on oahu suffered no more
than heavy winds and enormous surf.

--
TheBadger587 - HSG/DH MUni (Represent?)

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

S_Wallis
August 15th 04, 08:26 PM
Thanks for passing that along, Frank. I was wondering if you or Adam
were hit by the storm. That really is going to be tough. It is hard to
imagine how difficult it must be to get life back to normal when not
only the homes, but also much of the infrastructure is wiped out.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"Don't neglect your knees! They're really useful." Words of wisdom from
Cyberbellum

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

johnfoss
August 16th 04, 08:15 AM
We're glad you were all okay.

If people want to help out, one way you can is by making a donation to
the Red Cross. You can do this by calling 1-800-HELP-NOW.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

johnfoss
August 16th 04, 08:15 AM
We're glad you were all okay.

If people want to help out, one way you can is by making a donation to
the Red Cross. You can do this by calling 1-800-HELP-NOW.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

zod
August 16th 04, 12:25 PM
I went through Hugo and it was a horrible experience, we didn't have
power or water for 2 weeks..........it's one of the longest 2 weeks of
my life. I hope the rebuilding process gets along quickley down there
for you Floridians. Our family has a vacation condo in Venice which is
just north of Punta Gorda, we haven't been able to confirm the condition
of it yet but we figure it to be lost until we hear otherwise.

--
zod - Southern Fried mUni

Jun 20, 2003: "I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme
Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to
choose..." -- John Kerry

Jul 5, 2004: "I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I
believe life does begin at conception." -- John Kerry
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

[...]

UniBrier
August 16th 04, 10:27 PM
I'm heading out on the red-eye to Orlando tonight to work insurance
claims for a week.

Doubt I'll have time to ride but if you're in the area send me a PM and
I'll send you my cell phone number.

All work and no play...

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve De Cuckoo

"Only an idiot would try to ride a pointed stick with a wheel on the
bottom." - ‘tiped again’ on the early stages of mastering the uni.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

[...]

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home