PDA

View Full Version : First mount learned helps\hinders development of other skills?

roberts
August 15th 04, 08:26 AM
When I learned to unicycle, I learned a reverse free mount first,
without using any support, and only ever tried riding forwards off a
successful free-mount.

My friend learned a forward mount without the half turn backwards (i.e.
mount and continue forwards), and concentrated a little more on riding
forwards from a supported mount before he could free mount
consistently.

Now that we have 7 months experience we are about an untested level 3.5,
but I tend to find things like idling and going backwards easier than my
mate. I put this down to the fact that right from the beginning I had
to develop my stationary balance and changing direction far more than my
mate, who's focus was on moving forwards.

So, I have two questions:

1) What was your first mount? Forwards and continue forwards, or
reverse \ forwards with half turn backwards, and do you feel this helped
or impeded your progress onto idling \ going backwards. I would be
interested to hear comparisons made with friends who learned different
mounts.

2) I can ride backwards in a figure of eight, which is a level 6 skill,
but my general level is 3.5ish. The skill levels seem to place riding
backwards at a far higher level than I would expect. At the moment I
could only dream of being able to ride one footed in a figure eight
(level 5). Anyone else agree, or do I just have ok backwards skill and
poor everything else ?

--
roberts
roberts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7071

onewheeljoe
August 16th 04, 02:34 AM
My experience was pretty similar to yours...I learned with a half rev
backward and consequently was able to idle and ride backwards much
quicker than a friend who mounted riding forward only. I've subsequently
had to learn forward-only mounting because the half revolution backwards
is pretty useless for muni.

--
onewheeljoe - Former Cyclist
onewheeljoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7357

ctunicyclestar
August 16th 04, 03:21 AM
i learned to mount like u did but i found and my coach told me that the
way i was mounting wasnt correct and i was told to mount with the pedals
even and when u get on they shouldnt move and that way u can go anyway u
want with out extra work and your unicycle doesnt move when u mount so u
cant fall off something if u are trying to mount on a box or something
like that. good luck learnign 1 foot, it comes if u work at it, it took
me 4 years to learn wheel walk but i just figured out how a few days
ago, stick with it and u will learn.

--
ctunicyclestar
ctunicyclestar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7514

Klaas Bil
August 16th 04, 07:41 AM
What you call the "reverse free mount", or "half rev backward", is
more generally known as "rollback mount". The other mount where the
wheel does NOT roll back, is called "static mount". Note, BTW, that
these two mounts are both regarded as variations of the "basic"
freemount, and hence don't count as different mounts in terms of the
IUF levels.

Yes, the rollback mount is certainly related to idling. My experience
was the other way round as roberts's. Initially I learned the static
freemount - and found it quite difficult. Once I could idle somewhat
consistently, I found that the rollback mount was far easier (than
before, and than the static mount). Now I can do them both, but tend
to reserve the rollback mount for smaller wheels, and the static mount
for larger wheels. In concert, perhaps, with my observation that
idling is easier on a smaller wheel.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

[...]

Ken Cline
August 17th 04, 04:20 AM
(Klaas Bil) writes:

> What you call the "reverse free mount", or "half rev backward"

AHA! I was wondering about learning a reverse mount (uni behind
rider) first.

As to whether rolling back in a standard mount helps, I kind of doubt
it. The side mount feels closer to idling than a standard rollback
mount, and even though I had a decent side mount at the time, learning
to idle was a major challenge for me.

Even so, I would recommend learning the side mount first. Unless you
have an entry level uni with a steel rim that might buckle under the
stress.

Ken

Ken Cline
August 17th 04, 04:20 AM

(Klaas Bil) writes:

> What you call the "reverse free mount", or "half rev backward"

AHA! I was wondering about learning a reverse mount (uni behind
rider) first.

As to whether rolling back in a standard mount helps, I kind of doubt
it. The side mount feels closer to idling than a standard rollback
mount, and even though I had a decent side mount at the time, learning
to idle was a major challenge for me.

Even so, I would recommend learning the side mount first. Unless you
have an entry level uni with a steel rim that might buckle under the
stress.

Ken

johnfoss
August 17th 04, 04:42 AM
roberts wrote:
> *The skill levels seem to place riding backwards at a far higher level
> than I would expect. At the moment I could only dream of being able
> to ride one footed in a figure eight (level 5). Anyone else agree, or
> do I just have ok backwards skill and poor everything else ? *
Sounds like you have a lot of practice time in on backwards and not much
on some of those other skills. Of course you're better at backwards.
It's hard to be objective on those things though, because even the way
you learned to ride can influence the way you learn tricks later on.

For example, the rollback mount is probably the most "educational"
version of the basic mount. Surely a mount that involves idling-type
skills is going to be "better" for you than the static mount, which is
generally harder to learn, or the "dead spot mount," which most people
seem unable to avoid when trying to learn either of the others. Learning
a solid rollback mount has made you better prepared for idling and
backward skills.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

johnfoss
August 17th 04, 04:42 AM

roberts wrote:
> *The skill levels seem to place riding backwards at a far higher level
> than I would expect. At the moment I could only dream of being able
> to ride one footed in a figure eight (level 5). Anyone else agree, or
> do I just have ok backwards skill and poor everything else ? *
Sounds like you have a lot of practice time in on backwards and not much
on some of those other skills. Of course you're better at backwards.
It's hard to be objective on those things though, because even the way
you learned to ride can influence the way you learn tricks later on.

For example, the rollback mount is probably the most "educational"
version of the basic mount. Surely a mount that involves idling-type
skills is going to be "better" for you than the static mount, which is
generally harder to learn, or the "dead spot mount," which most people
seem unable to avoid when trying to learn either of the others. Learning
a solid rollback mount has made you better prepared for idling and
backward skills.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

unicyclistjoe
August 17th 04, 04:12 PM
the same thing applies to my friend Pete and I. we both learnt to ride
around the same time, but i learnt reverse and he learnt the
straight-to-riding one. now i find that on the skinnies we do, he has
easier starts, because i have to idle up first. im learning to do it his
way but its hard. then again, i tend to do skinnies that he cant watch
me do, so is it really such a bad thing?

--
unicyclistjoe - Wellingtons 2nd Best

Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

[...]

pete66
August 17th 04, 05:11 PM
I'm not even sure if I've ever tried a rollback mount! But yeah, it's a
laugh to watch Joe mounting on skinnies with a rollback, it makes a fall
to his peril look that much more likely. :eek:

I think that ultimately you want to be able to (static) mount directly
into a good stillstand.

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

[...]

August 17th 04, 05:21 PM
Once you've learned how to ride, the static mount is generally the most
useful. Also the fastest. But if you started off with a rollback, it
means you've already got a foundation of backward and balancing that
other beginners don't get.

--
[...]

cheechee
August 17th 04, 05:27 PM
roberts Wrote:
> When I learned to unicycle, I learned a reverse free mount first
> without using any support, and only ever tried riding forwards off
> successful free-mount
>
> My friend learned a forward mount without the half turn backwards (i.e
> mount and continue forwards), and concentrated a little more on ridin
> forwards from a supported mount before he could free moun
> consistently
>
> Now that we have 7 months experience we are about an untested leve
> 3.5
> but I tend to find things like idling and going backwards easier tha
> mate. I put this down to the fact that right from the beginning I ha
> to develop my stationary balance and changing direction far more tha
> mate, who's focus was on moving forwards
>
> So, I have two questions
>
> 1) What was your first mount? Forwards and continue forwards, o
> reverse \ forwards with half turn backwards, and do you feel thi
> helpe
> or impeded your progress onto idling \ going backwards. I would b
> interested to hear comparisons made with friends who learned differen
> mounts
>
> 2) I can ride backwards in a figure of eight, which is a level
> skill
> but my general level is 3.5ish. The skill levels seem to place ridin
> backwards at a far higher level than I would expect. At the moment
> could only dream of being able to ride one footed in a figure eigh
> (level 5). Anyone else agree, or do I just have ok backwards skill an
> poor everything else
>

> -
> robert
> roberts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/707
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34555
If I stand behind the uni with peddles at 9+3 instead of my norma
dead spot 5+11freemount I would have to jump like a kangaroo to ge
up.I was told in another thread to not weight the peddle so much an
let the momentum carry me up.How does a 48yr. old jump so high withou
relying on the peddle to get me up

--
cheechee

cheechee
August 17th 04, 05:27 PM

roberts Wrote:
> When I learned to unicycle, I learned a reverse free mount first
> without using any support, and only ever tried riding forwards off
> successful free-mount
>
> My friend learned a forward mount without the half turn backwards (i.e
> mount and continue forwards), and concentrated a little more on ridin
> forwards from a supported mount before he could free moun
> consistently
>
> Now that we have 7 months experience we are about an untested leve
> 3.5
> but I tend to find things like idling and going backwards easier tha
> mate. I put this down to the fact that right from the beginning I ha
> to develop my stationary balance and changing direction far more tha
> mate, who's focus was on moving forwards
>
> So, I have two questions
>
> 1) What was your first mount? Forwards and continue forwards, o
> reverse \ forwards with half turn backwards, and do you feel thi
> helpe
> or impeded your progress onto idling \ going backwards. I would b
> interested to hear comparisons made with friends who learned differen
> mounts
>
> 2) I can ride backwards in a figure of eight, which is a level
> skill
> but my general level is 3.5ish. The skill levels seem to place ridin
> backwards at a far higher level than I would expect. At the moment
> could only dream of being able to ride one footed in a figure eigh
> (level 5). Anyone else agree, or do I just have ok backwards skill an
> poor everything else
>

> -
> robert
> roberts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/707
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34555
If I stand behind the uni with peddles at 9+3 instead of my norma
dead spot 5+11freemount I would have to jump like a kangaroo to ge
up.I was told in another thread to not weight the peddle so much an
let the momentum carry me up.How does a 48yr. old jump so high withou
relying on the peddle to get me up

--
cheechee

johnfoss
August 17th 04, 07:07 PM
cheechee wrote:
> *How does a 48yr. old jump so high without
> relying on the peddle to get me up? *
Sounds like you are pretty short, or your wheel is pretty big. It does
not take much effort to static-mount a 24" wheel, *once you figure out
the technique*.

What hasn't been mentioned above is that the static mount is hard to
learn because it's really hard for new riders to keep the wheel out of
the dead spot when they mount. I think this mount is easier to learn
after you've got the basic riding down. I encourage you to work on the
rollback mount. Start at the 9 - 3 position, push the pedal down, but
keep the wheel rolling back until you've got your foot on the top pedal
and pulled it back to around 3 - 9. If you master this, you'll find it
almost impossible not to ride away.

--

cheechee wrote:
> *How does a 48yr. old jump so high without
> relying on the peddle to get me up? *
Sounds like you are pretty short, or your wheel is pretty big. It does
not take much effort to static-mount a 24" wheel, *once you figure out
the technique*.

What hasn't been mentioned above is that the static mount is hard to
learn because it's really hard for new riders to keep the wheel out of
the dead spot when they mount. I think this mount is easier to learn
after you've got the basic riding down. I encourage you to work on the
rollback mount. Start at the 9 - 3 position, push the pedal down, but
keep the wheel rolling back until you've got your foot on the top pedal
and pulled it back to around 3 - 9. If you master this, you'll find it
almost impossible not to ride away.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

Ken Cline
August 17th 04, 07:33 PM
cheechee > writes:

> If I stand behind the uni with peddles at 9+3 instead of my normal
> dead spot 5+11freemount I would have to jump like a kangaroo to get
> up.I was told in another thread to not weight the peddle so much and
> let the momentum carry me up.How does a 48yr. old jump so high without
> relying on the peddle to get me up?

A little forward push of the unicycle before you weight the pedals can
help keep you from bottoming out. You still have to jump a little,
but the motion provides some momentum to work against as you step up.
I've also been putting weight on the handle of the saddle recently. I
find it help a sore knee, but I suyspect it may be harder to
coordinate while learning.

Ken

Ken Cline
August 17th 04, 07:33 PM

cheechee > writes:

> If I stand behind the uni with peddles at 9+3 instead of my normal
> dead spot 5+11freemount I would have to jump like a kangaroo to get
> up.I was told in another thread to not weight the peddle so much and
> let the momentum carry me up.How does a 48yr. old jump so high without
> relying on the peddle to get me up?

A little forward push of the unicycle before you weight the pedals can
help keep you from bottoming out. You still have to jump a little,
but the motion provides some momentum to work against as you step up.
I've also been putting weight on the handle of the saddle recently. I
find it help a sore knee, but I suyspect it may be harder to
coordinate while learning.

Ken

Major Clanger
August 18th 04, 12:16 AM
roberts wrote:
> *My friend learned a forward mount without the half turn backwards
> (i.e. mount and continue forwards), and concentrated a little more on
> riding forwards from a supported mount before he could free mount
> consistently. *

I went backwards as well, in fact I found the static mount ideal for
setting off backwards, if you remember I used it for most of the winter
as I treid to do a length of the underground car park. I also found it
ideal for setting of on steep slopes, however, you finally convinced me
that the rollback mount was superior and I now use it most of the
time.

roberts wrote:
> *Now that we have 7 months experience we are about an untested level
> 3.5, but I tend to find things like idling and going backwards easier
> than my mate. I put this down to the fact that right from the
> beginning I had to develop my stationary balance and changing
> direction far more than my mate, who's focus was on moving forwards.*

I am not sure this has anything to do with the respective ways we learnt
to mount, I think it has more to do with you being a flash git :p

Where does B***** T*********** fit on the unicycle skill levels, or
would you rather I didn't mention that. ;)

--
Major Clanger
Major Clanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7066

Major Clanger
August 18th 04, 12:16 AM

roberts wrote:
> *Now that we have 7 months experience we are about an untested level
> 3.5, but I tend to find things like idling and going backwards easier
> than my mate. I put this down to the fact that right from the
> beginning I had to develop my stationary balance and changing
> direction far more than my mate, who's focus was on moving forwards.*

I am not sure this has anything to do with the respective ways we learnt
to mount, I think it has more to do with you being a flash git :p

Where does B***** T*********** fit on the unicycle skill levels, or
would you rather I didn't mention that. ;)

--
Major Clanger
Major Clanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7066

roberts
August 18th 04, 06:56 AM
Major Clanger wrote:
> *
> I went backwards as well, in fact I found the static mount ideal for
> setting off backwards, if you remember I used it for most of the
> winter as I treid to do a length of the underground car park.*
This is my point, I DIDN'T spend a lot of time practicing going
backwards, once I had the rolling mount down, going backwards was more a
case of bottle than balance.

Major Clanger wrote:
> *
> I also found it ideal for setting of on steep slopes, however, you
> finally convinced me that the rollback mount was superior and I now
> use it most of the time.
> *
I now don't think it is superior altogether, but DO think it is a
superior mount to start with. Judging by the comments on this thread, I
would encourage anyone just starting to unicycle to spend the time
learning a rollback mount before they worry about actually achieving
distance. This will enable them to pick up the earlier skills like
idling and going backwards more easily. Once someone is at the stage of
muni on steeper slopes, or attempting trials, then the static mount
becomes necessary.

Major Clanger wrote:
> *
> Where does B***** T*********** fit on the unicycle skill levels, or
> would you rather I didn't mention that. ;) *
I'll save that till I get some footage ;)

--

Major Clanger wrote:
> *
> Where does B***** T*********** fit on the unicycle skill levels, or
> would you rather I didn't mention that. ;) *
I'll save that till I get some footage ;)

--
roberts
roberts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7071

rob.northcott
August 18th 04, 12:47 PM
I spent quite a time trying to master the "rollback" mount, as that is
the one suggested in the book I had (Charlie Dancey's "how to ride your
unicycle", or whatever it's called). I found it extremely hard, and
decided to give the static mount a go, which I can pull off reliably
after only an hour or so of practice (right-footed only at the moment -
if I try with the left I go straight on my face).

I can't idle yet, so perhaps the rollback mount will be easier once I've
got idling mastered.

BTW, I'm surprised they don't count as different mounts - certainly FEEL
very different to me.

Rob

--
rob.northcott

[...]

digigal1
August 18th 04, 06:22 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> * ...rollback mount. Start at the 9 - 3 position, push the pedal down,
> but keep the wheel rolling back until you've got your foot on the top
> pedal and pulled it back to around 3 - 9. If you master this, you'll
> find it almost impossible not to ride away. *

I guess this is what I get for learning on my own. A couple of weeks
ago I actually paid attention to what my wheel was doing when I
freemounted. My pedals are at about 9 - 3, and when I jump up, I let
off on the pressure a little on the pedal nearest me, so the wheel is
rolling forward a tiny bit. Once both feet are on the pedals, I pedal
backwards a quarter turn, then ride off. I wonder why.

--
digigal1 - You call this middle age??

Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

digigal1
August 18th 04, 06:22 PM

johnfoss wrote:
> * ...rollback mount. Start at the 9 - 3 position, push the pedal down,
> but keep the wheel rolling back until you've got your foot on the top
> pedal and pulled it back to around 3 - 9. If you master this, you'll
> find it almost impossible not to ride away. *

I guess this is what I get for learning on my own. A couple of weeks
ago I actually paid attention to what my wheel was doing when I
freemounted. My pedals are at about 9 - 3, and when I jump up, I let
off on the pressure a little on the pedal nearest me, so the wheel is
rolling forward a tiny bit. Once both feet are on the pedals, I pedal
backwards a quarter turn, then ride off. I wonder why.

--
digigal1 - You call this middle age??

Omni for Uni and Uni for Omni!
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848