PDA

View Full Version : Coker ride in Indiana

kokomojuggler
August 15th 04, 02:29 PM
I live west of Kokomo Indiana, where it is mostly flat cornfields. I'm
trying to get ready for the Hilly Hundred bicycle ride in southern
Indiana where it is very hilly. I emailed the director of the ride
asking if anyone has ridden on a uni and if I would be welcome. He said
he was not aware of any such attempt, but if I could ride in a group and
up and down hills, I should give it a try. I haven't gone more than 10
miles at a time before, and that was on flat gound. I don't have much
experience riding with others either.

Yesterday, I decided to ride 7 miles west to a hill I did a bicycle time
trial on almost 30 years ago, when I was in high school. The route is
rolling hills. I've avoided this route before due the percieved danger
of cars not seeing over the hills. I head west having no problems with
the rolling hills, but wondering if I would have enough when I got to
the "big one" at the end of the ride.

At a couple of miles I ride past Marcus's house. He's an avid member of
the local bicycle club. I think he has raced across Indiana before,
something like 150 miles. He's in his yard working a chiper/shredder and
I can't get his attention. Marcus is a mechanical engineer at the same
company I work for. Another mile west and I dismount to cross a busy
road. I hit my mount with no problems. The rolling hills continue.

I find that I sometimes get a good rythem going. When that happens the
coker seems to float under me. The traffic is a little worse near a
housing development. Most people slow down to watch me. After the
housing development, the road narrows and is lined with trees. Quite
beautiful. A woman is walking her golden retriever. She leaves the road
for me and smiles "Hello".

A few curves and I'm now going down to the creek. The big hill is on the
other side. A man is playing catch with his son. I hear them talk about
me and I wave. The downhill is steep, so I'm busy getting in the braking
position. I finally reach the bottom and cross the creek. They put a new
bridge here. It used to be called "Stonebreaker Bridge" I don't know
why. I was reminded of this when I visited my high school friend. The
local bike club phone directory had a picture of 3 of us who won as a
team climbing this very hill. I think it was called "Velocio day" after
a famous bicycle hill climb. Anyway, I came across this friend at a soap
box derby, and he offered to let me try his 6' giraffe. I didn't know he
unicycled. I stopped by his shop and managed to ride the giraffe, but
never got confidence to get far from the wall.

I had planned to rest before the hill, but I go on. Now I'm past the
bridge and thinking that the hill is not so bad. Then I round a corner
and see it continue for some distance. I'm not feeling too bad and I
pump up the hill. I see a girl up ahead check her mail box. I wonder if
she would get me a drink of water. As I get to the house, she is calling
for her brother to see this sight. I pass the house and the hill gets
steeper. A hundred yards or so and I'm at the top! I remember when I was
just learning, my legs were burning after only 100 yards on flat ground.
I was totally floored when a fellow engineer said he rode 2 miles in a
parade when he was younger.

I stopped at the top to rest for a minute. The girl and her brother
disapeared. It's good, because I had a terrible time mounting. Going
down the hill wasn't too bad, I reach the creek at the bottom and start
up the other side. I only make it about 1/4 of the way. I walk to the
bottom and try again. While I am walking, a couple on bikes crosses the
bridge. As they pass, I hear them shift to low gears and slow. I try the
hill again and don't make it any farther. Why didn't we use this hill
for a bike race? It's much steeper. I walked up the hill, and continued.
I can see the bikes over the hills for some distance, but they finally
disapear. What's this I hear about uni's being better than bikes on
hills? I guess I have more to learn.

I stopped at the busy road to rest a minute, and a young woman has car
trouble. Her car stalls when put in drive. After several stalls and a
cell phone call. I decide to give her some advice. "Give it a little
gas". She's soon on her way.

Its about a mile more to Marcus's house. There is markings on the road
"SAG". I remember this means "rest stop", but I can't remember what SAG
stands for. There were other marking on the road, along the route. It
looks like this route was used for a 100mi/62mi/35mi bike ride. I shout
to Marcus. "How far are you going?" I answer 14 miles. "Wow" he replies.

I reach home in not too bad a shape. A month ago I got back totally
exhausted from a 10 mile ride where I averaged about 10.5 mph. I find
the speed really makes a difference. I wasn't going for speed this
time.

Still wondering about the Hilly Hundred. I'm sure I will have to walk
some hills, but my boss went last year on a bike and walked 5 hills, so
I guess that's not too bad.

--
kokomojuggler - Coker Rider

Kokomo Juggler
-All Glory to God
kokomojuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4925

Mikefule
August 15th 04, 04:01 PM
Nice ride, nice write up.

You will find your stamina increases as your experience increases. It's
not just a physiological thing; it's to do with feeling completely at
home on the Coker, and having to put less effort into balancing it.

Also, when the freemounting gets more reliable, your apparent stamina
will improve, because you will be more confident to stop (knowing you
can easily get back on) and failed freemounts use up a lot of physical
and mental energy.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

Mikefule
August 15th 04, 04:01 PM
Nice ride, nice write up.

You will find your stamina increases as your experience increases. It's
not just a physiological thing; it's to do with feeling completely at
home on the Coker, and having to put less effort into balancing it.

Also, when the freemounting gets more reliable, your apparent stamina
will improve, because you will be more confident to stop (knowing you
can easily get back on) and failed freemounts use up a lot of physical
and mental energy.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

RangerForrest
August 16th 04, 03:58 AM
I am riding the Hilly this year but just on my bike. I have ridden it
three times and also look forward to riding it on a Coker. I just need
to be able to afford a Coker and then get out there and train. Are you
planning to Coker it this year? If so, I would like to meet you and
join you next year if you don't mind.

--
RangerForrest - Isolated Unicyclist

Dreaming of a KH Trials
RangerForrest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5539

Klaas Bil
August 16th 04, 07:42 AM
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:29:10 -0500, "kokomojuggler" wrote:

>I live west of Kokomo Indiana
Ah, that's where your handle is from!
>What's this I hear about uni's being better than bikes on
>hills? I guess I have more to learn.
Ah, but I don't think it applies very much to Cokers.

>Its about a mile more to Marcus's house. There is markings on the road
>"SAG". I remember this means "rest stop", but I can't remember what SAG
>stands for.
Just guessing: Stop And Go?

Nice story. How much time to decide (and practice) for your
participation in the Hilly Hundred?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 16th 04, 07:42 AM
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:29:10 -0500, "kokomojuggler" wrote:

>I live west of Kokomo Indiana
Ah, that's where your handle is from!
>What's this I hear about uni's being better than bikes on
>hills? I guess I have more to learn.
Ah, but I don't think it applies very much to Cokers.

>Its about a mile more to Marcus's house. There is markings on the road
>"SAG". I remember this means "rest stop", but I can't remember what SAG
>stands for.
Just guessing: Stop And Go?

Nice story. How much time to decide (and practice) for your
participation in the Hilly Hundred?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

kokomojuggler
August 16th 04, 02:01 PM
I rode the Hilly Hundred from 1971-1976 or something like that. Probably
started in 8th grade and continued through high school. I learned to uni
on my 20" a couple of years ago and last fall my boss came back from the
Hilly Hundred. I had forgotten about it. By that time I was reading this
newsgroup about someone who went on a long ride in Georgia that was
hilly. I figured if he could do it, then I could too. I think he only
learned to uni 8 months before the event.

I bought my Coker this January, for that purpose. I found it easier to
ride than my 20" but harder to mount. It wasn't that long before my
first mount, and most of the time I can mount the 1st or 2nd try, but
sometimes many more. I grab the wheel with my right hand, foot on right
pedal and jump up to put my left foot on. I think when I am tired, I
don't jump enough, you have to be over the center of gravity, so your
first push can get you going. Also, you need to be a little to the left,
because your first push is with the left foot.

I still struggle to know if I am ready. I have 2 months. I'll make a
greater effort to get on the Coker. I've been riding only 1-2 times a
week.

--
[...]

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home