PDA

View Full Version : 250 Critical Mass bikers arrested in NYC

Andrew Szafran
August 28th 04, 02:01 PM
According to the news this morning, about 250 bikers were arrested during
the Critical Mass ride in NYC yesterday. (Hopefully not for obstruction
of traffic, since the city is closing the West Side Highway on Sunday
rather than allowing a protest in Central Park. :)

Sounds like more overreaction on the part of the NYPD. Looking on the
bright side, Bloomberg's overprotection of the Republican National
Convention will likely count as a strike against him come the next mayoral
election.

-Andrew

Jym Dyer
August 28th 04, 04:59 PM
> At least no one got KILLED.

=v= "At least?" You make it sound like a likelihood. Critical
Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years and 11 months
without anyone getting KILLED.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer
August 28th 04, 04:59 PM
> At least no one got KILLED.

=v= "At least?" You make it sound like a likelihood. Critical
Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years and 11 months
without anyone getting KILLED.
<_Jym_>

Bill Davidson
August 28th 04, 07:21 PM
Andrew Szafran wrote:
> According to the news this morning, about 250 bikers were arrested during
> the Critical Mass ride in NYC yesterday. (Hopefully not for obstruction
> of traffic, since the city is closing the West Side Highway on Sunday
> rather than allowing a protest in Central Park. :)

I'm reading reports that the arrest count was up to 264. They estimate
that there were around 5000 riders. Apparently it turned into more of
an anti-Bush/RNC protest than a typical critical mass which is normally
only around a few hundred in NYC.

I think this is more about current election politics than about CM.

Bill Davidson
August 28th 04, 07:21 PM
Andrew Szafran wrote:
> According to the news this morning, about 250 bikers were arrested during
> the Critical Mass ride in NYC yesterday. (Hopefully not for obstruction
> of traffic, since the city is closing the West Side Highway on Sunday
> rather than allowing a protest in Central Park. :)

I'm reading reports that the arrest count was up to 264. They estimate
that there were around 5000 riders. Apparently it turned into more of
an anti-Bush/RNC protest than a typical critical mass which is normally
only around a few hundred in NYC.

I think this is more about current election politics than about CM.

Hank Lucea
August 28th 04, 09:40 PM
"Jym Dyer" > wrote in message
> > At least no one got KILLED.
>
> =v= "At least?" You make it sound like a likelihood. Critical
> Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years and 11 months
> without anyone getting KILLED.
> <_Jym_>

That is a lie, 1997 San Francisco.

Hank Lucea
August 28th 04, 09:40 PM
"Jym Dyer" > wrote in message
> > At least no one got KILLED.
>
> =v= "At least?" You make it sound like a likelihood. Critical
> Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years and 11 months
> without anyone getting KILLED.
> <_Jym_>

That is a lie, 1997 San Francisco.

-
August 29th 04, 01:29 AM
IMHO such activities help Bush more than Kerry, since the Republicans can
point to them as evidence that the anti-Bush people are irresponsible,
anarchists, not law-abiding, left-wing extremists, etc., etc. Is Critical
Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the Republican party?

Just wondering... Sheesh, hasn't anyone heard the expression "agents
provocateurs?"

-
August 29th 04, 01:29 AM
IMHO such activities help Bush more than Kerry, since the Republicans can
point to them as evidence that the anti-Bush people are irresponsible,
anarchists, not law-abiding, left-wing extremists, etc., etc. Is Critical
Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the Republican party?

Just wondering... Sheesh, hasn't anyone heard the expression "agents
provocateurs?"

Tom Betz
August 29th 04, 02:37 AM
Quoth - > in
:

> Is Critical Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the
> Republican party?

Critical Mass has been having these monthly bike rides (designed
to raise consciousness for bicycle-friendly streets) for 11
months without incident. This one time, there was a larger
crowd than there had been previously, and the police arrested
many of them for heinous crime of stopping at a traffic light --
the police claimed that the stopped bicyclists were blocking
access to a hospital. It was a lie, part of an ongoing
Bloomberg attempt at intimidating protestors.

Look for more of the same all week.

--
Where was AWOL George W. Bush?
<http://www.glcq.com/bush_at_arpc1.htm>

Tom Betz
August 29th 04, 02:37 AM
Quoth - > in
:

> Is Critical Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the
> Republican party?

Critical Mass has been having these monthly bike rides (designed
to raise consciousness for bicycle-friendly streets) for 11
months without incident. This one time, there was a larger
crowd than there had been previously, and the police arrested
many of them for heinous crime of stopping at a traffic light --
the police claimed that the stopped bicyclists were blocking
access to a hospital. It was a lie, part of an ongoing
Bloomberg attempt at intimidating protestors.

Look for more of the same all week.

--
Where was AWOL George W. Bush?
<http://www.glcq.com/bush_at_arpc1.htm>
Any government will waste money.
Only the worst waste lives.

Hotshot
August 29th 04, 05:00 AM
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Hotshot
August 29th 04, 05:00 AM
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Jym Dyer
August 31st 04, 03:02 PM
>> Critical Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years
>> and 11 months without anyone getting KILLED.
> That is a lie, 1997 San Francisco.

=v= Nobody was killed in any Critical Mass in San Francisco.
Nor in any of the monthly mini-masses there. Not in 1997,
not in any year.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer
August 31st 04, 03:02 PM
>> Critical Mass has been going on monthly for for 11 years
>> and 11 months without anyone getting KILLED.
> That is a lie, 1997 San Francisco.

=v= Nobody was killed in any Critical Mass in San Francisco.
Nor in any of the monthly mini-masses there. Not in 1997,
not in any year.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer
August 31st 04, 03:30 PM
> Apparently it turned into more of an anti-Bush/RNC protest
> than a typical critical mass which is normally only around
> a few hundred in NYC.

=v= Actually, since Bike Summer last year, the summer rides
have been much bigger.

> I think this is more about current election politics than
> about CM.

=v= No doubt. On a ride right before the RNC in a city where
most of the citizenry doesn't want the RNC, you're bound to
get some of that.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer
August 31st 04, 03:30 PM
> Apparently it turned into more of an anti-Bush/RNC protest
> than a typical critical mass which is normally only around
> a few hundred in NYC.

=v= Actually, since Bike Summer last year, the summer rides
have been much bigger.

> I think this is more about current election politics than
> about CM.

=v= No doubt. On a ride right before the RNC in a city where
most of the citizenry doesn't want the RNC, you're bound to
get some of that.
<_Jym_>

Dick Durbin
September 2nd 04, 01:02 AM
Tom Betz > wrote in message >...
> Quoth - > in
> :
>
> > Is Critical Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the
> > Republican party?
>
> Critical Mass has been having these monthly bike rides (designed
> to raise consciousness for bicycle-friendly streets) for 11
> months without incident.

That may be the "design" but the result is exactly the opposite.
I am amazed at how politically ignorant CMers are.

Dick Durbin

Dick Durbin
September 2nd 04, 01:02 AM
Tom Betz > wrote in message >...
> Quoth - > in
> :
>
> > Is Critical Mass supported (like Ralph Nader) by the
> > Republican party?
>
> Critical Mass has been having these monthly bike rides (designed
> to raise consciousness for bicycle-friendly streets) for 11
> months without incident.

That may be the "design" but the result is exactly the opposite.
I am amazed at how politically ignorant CMers are.

Dick Durbin

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home