PDA

View Full Version : Re: "Segway still a novelty "

M. Barbee
July 12th 03, 02:56 AM
I've seen them around DC three different times. They're still a novelty to
me. They still turn my head when I see them although I'll never buy one.

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> Segway still a novelty
> The Segway, the two-wheeled, auto-balancing scooter that makes use of
> five gyroscopes, has garnered unprecedented media attention. Yet the
> Segway — battery-powered and traveling at speeds up to 12 mph,
> touted as a transportation revolution — is still a rarity.
> http://www.washtimes.com/culture/20030710-102842-7522r.htm

heater
July 12th 03, 03:10 AM
Mike wrote:
> Segway still a novelty The Segway, the two-wheeled, auto-balancing
> scooter that makes use of five gyroscopes, has garnered unprecedented
> media attention. Yet the Segway — battery-powered and traveling at
> speeds up to 12 mph, touted as a transportation revolution — is
> still a rarity. http://www.washtimes.com/culture/20030710-102842-7522r.-
> htmhttp://www.washtimes.com/culture/20030710-102842-7522r.htm

Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Ken
July 12th 03, 03:42 AM
heater > wrote in news:3f0f72c5$1_4
@news.chariot.net.au:
> Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent motorcycle
for $5K.

Leonard Migliore
July 12th 03, 06:20 PM
In article nk.net>,
mark > wrote:

> "Ken" wrote
> > > Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?
> >
> > Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent
> motorcycle
> > for $5K.
>
> Better yet, you can get a really nice bicycle for $5k
> --
> mark

Or 2 or 3 very good bicycles.

GRL
July 13th 03, 06:59 PM
Or a very nice used motorcycle and a couple of very nice new bicycles.

That Segway thing might be useful for an old guy with bad legs working in a
big warehouse, but that's about it.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"Leonard Migliore" > wrote in message
> In article nk.net>,
> mark > wrote:
>
> > "Ken" wrote
> > >
> > > Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent
> > motorcycle
> > > for $5K.
> >
> > Better yet, you can get a really nice bicycle for $5k
> > --
> > mark
>
> Or 2 or 3 very good bicycles.

Marian Rosenberg
August 31st 03, 10:17 AM
Ken wrote:
> heater > wrote in news:3f0f72c5$1_4
> @news.chariot.net.au:
>
>>Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Probably not, the market they are aiming at are the people who aren't
quite ready to acquiesce to using an electric wheelchair. They are
faster than the hideous little electric scooters[1] and also have
something resembling balance, which the mobility carts don't. The big
problem for the mobility market is the need to stand.

I'll never get a Segway. My walking ability is tolerable. My bicycling
ability is surprisingly good. I can't stand worth a damn.

> Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent motorcycle
> for $5K.

But can you take your motorcycle into an office building?

The Segway is a mobility assistance device, not a travelling long
distances device.

-M

[1] 4.5 mph TOP speed. I regularly hit 12 mph in my manual wheelchair.
I was pretty ****ed when the insurance company took away my wheelchair
and replaced it with a mobility cart. Even if it did make me do more
crutching about and certainly helped with the walking in the long term
.... it was a nasty, hideous, slow, unwieldy ... etcetera.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home