PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike for Women

Jee Doy
October 16th 04, 05:56 PM
My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus transportation,
but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
women?

Jim S
October 16th 04, 08:01 PM
trek - WSD (womens specific design)

"Jee Doy" > wrote in message
> My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus
transportation,
> but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
> women?

MikeYankee
October 16th 04, 09:55 PM
If she is short, a women-specific design may be very important. If she is on
the tall side, roughly 5'6" or taller, it may not be necessary.

Trek and Terry are two names that come to mind. Cannondale also makes bikes
with smaller 650 wheels for kids and small adults.

Generally women have narrower shoulders and smaller hands than men. There may
be other significant skeletal differences, and you could Google something like
"road bicycle frame sizing male female" to learn more.

Handlebar selection (width and drop), choice of saddle, crankarm length, etc.
can be matched by a knowledgeable LBS ("local bike shop") to your daughter's
needs.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

[...]

Claire Petersky
October 17th 04, 03:57 PM
"MikeYankee" > wrote in message
> If she is short, a women-specific design may be very important. If she is
on
> the tall side, roughly 5'6" or taller, it may not be necessary.

WSD also is very helpful if you are short-waisted. I am short-waisted for a
female -- most dresses with a defined waist outside of petites don't fit.
This means that I am extremely short-waisted for most bike frames, which are
designed for men's longer-waisted bodies. At 5' 9", my legs are the same
length as my 6' husband. The difference in our heights is all in the torso
length.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Claire Petersky
October 17th 04, 03:57 PM
"MikeYankee" > wrote in message
> If she is short, a women-specific design may be very important. If she is
on
> the tall side, roughly 5'6" or taller, it may not be necessary.

WSD also is very helpful if you are short-waisted. I am short-waisted for a
female -- most dresses with a defined waist outside of petites don't fit.
This means that I am extremely short-waisted for most bike frames, which are
designed for men's longer-waisted bodies. At 5' 9", my legs are the same
length as my 6' husband. The difference in our heights is all in the torso
length.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Claire Petersky
October 17th 04, 03:57 PM
"MikeYankee" > wrote in message
> If she is short, a women-specific design may be very important. If she is
on
> the tall side, roughly 5'6" or taller, it may not be necessary.

WSD also is very helpful if you are short-waisted. I am short-waisted for a
female -- most dresses with a defined waist outside of petites don't fit.
This means that I am extremely short-waisted for most bike frames, which are
designed for men's longer-waisted bodies. At 5' 9", my legs are the same
length as my 6' husband. The difference in our heights is all in the torso
length.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Ken
October 17th 04, 06:51 PM
"Jim S" > wrote in news:B_KdnfFrYqK07ezcRVn-
:

> trek - WSD (womens specific design)

I think all of the major brands (Trek, Giant, Specialized, Bianchi, etc.)
have women's bikes, especially in the smaller sizes. These usually have a
shorter top tube than a men's bike with the same standover height. Road
bikes are popualr with women these days, so most shops are pretty good about
selection and fitting.

Ken
October 17th 04, 06:51 PM
"Jim S" > wrote in news:B_KdnfFrYqK07ezcRVn-
:

> trek - WSD (womens specific design)

I think all of the major brands (Trek, Giant, Specialized, Bianchi, etc.)
have women's bikes, especially in the smaller sizes. These usually have a
shorter top tube than a men's bike with the same standover height. Road
bikes are popualr with women these days, so most shops are pretty good about
selection and fitting.

Ken
October 17th 04, 06:51 PM
"Jim S" > wrote in news:B_KdnfFrYqK07ezcRVn-
:

> trek - WSD (womens specific design)

I think all of the major brands (Trek, Giant, Specialized, Bianchi, etc.)
have women's bikes, especially in the smaller sizes. These usually have a
shorter top tube than a men's bike with the same standover height. Road
bikes are popualr with women these days, so most shops are pretty good about
selection and fitting.

Comcast News
October 18th 04, 03:38 AM
I love my Gary Fisher. It's a Hybrid (Utopia), granted...but I enjoy being able to do both duties (with a nubbier tire) and not have to have two bike$. It's the first bike that ever really "fit" me. 5'6" long arms, short waist, med legs...normal. www.fisherbikes.com

"Ken" > wrote in message ...
"Jim S" > wrote in news:B_KdnfFrYqK07ezcRVn-
:

> trek - WSD (womens specific design)

I think all of the major brands (Trek, Giant, Specialized, Bianchi, etc.)
have women's bikes, especially in the smaller sizes. These usually have a
shorter top tube than a men's bike with the same standover height. Road
bikes are popualr with women these days, so most shops are pretty good about
selection and fitting.

peter
October 18th 04, 08:06 PM
On 16 Oct 2004 16:56:04 GMT, (Jee Doy) wrote:

>My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus transportation,
>but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
>women?

Terry Bicycles are designed specifically for women. Find a
shop that carries this brand and talk with people there to see what
else they might recommend. They should have experience fitting bikes
for women.

It would be good to find a shop that has a Fit Kit, which is a
device to determine the right size of bike for each person. Not just
frame size but crank length, handlebar width, top tube length, etc.
It's not perfect, but it usually gives useful information.

One of the measurements that women often find wrong on bikes
is the distance from saddle to handlebars. It is often too long for
women because women tend to have proportionally longer legs and
shorter torsos than men. Make sure you daughter does not feel
stretched out when in riding position.

Good luck.

Peter

peter
October 18th 04, 08:06 PM
On 16 Oct 2004 16:56:04 GMT, (Jee Doy) wrote:

>My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus transportation,
>but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
>women?

Terry Bicycles are designed specifically for women. Find a
shop that carries this brand and talk with people there to see what
else they might recommend. They should have experience fitting bikes
for women.

It would be good to find a shop that has a Fit Kit, which is a
device to determine the right size of bike for each person. Not just
frame size but crank length, handlebar width, top tube length, etc.
It's not perfect, but it usually gives useful information.

One of the measurements that women often find wrong on bikes
is the distance from saddle to handlebars. It is often too long for
women because women tend to have proportionally longer legs and
shorter torsos than men. Make sure you daughter does not feel
stretched out when in riding position.

Good luck.

Peter

peter
October 18th 04, 08:06 PM
On 16 Oct 2004 16:56:04 GMT, (Jee Doy) wrote:

>My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus transportation,
>but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
>women?

Terry Bicycles are designed specifically for women. Find a
shop that carries this brand and talk with people there to see what
else they might recommend. They should have experience fitting bikes
for women.

It would be good to find a shop that has a Fit Kit, which is a
device to determine the right size of bike for each person. Not just
frame size but crank length, handlebar width, top tube length, etc.
It's not perfect, but it usually gives useful information.

One of the measurements that women often find wrong on bikes
is the distance from saddle to handlebars. It is often too long for
women because women tend to have proportionally longer legs and
shorter torsos than men. Make sure you daughter does not feel
stretched out when in riding position.

Good luck.

Peter

The Pretzel
October 25th 04, 07:07 PM
"Jee Doy" > wrote in message
> My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus
transportation,
> but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
> women?

Many road bikes come in what they call a "Compact frame". Classic road frames
need to have smaller increments for sizing. Bike manufacturers wanted to cut
manufacturing costs to match the sizing of mountain bikes.

A size "small" in a compact frame design would be ideal. Most bikes now come
with stems that clamp on to the steerer. Like mountain bikes. (thanks to
A-head.) The compacts (in small) should have a short top tube. Change out the
stem and get her fitted. If she's using this for sport (GOOD THING) I would
recommend aluminum frame-carbon fork. (cost-perfomance-ride) Most come that way
now. Some bikes come with 650 wheels. Not a good idea. Try to stick with a 700c
if you can. Less headaches.

Get Clipless pedals.

Specialized
*Giant
Cannondale uses 650c in smaller sizes and are a bit pricey.
Fuji has some great deals price wise.

*I worked in "Quality assurance" sometime back....

The Pretzel
October 25th 04, 07:07 PM

"Jee Doy" > wrote in message
> My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for campus
transportation,
> but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed for
> women?

Many road bikes come in what they call a "Compact frame". Classic road frames
need to have smaller increments for sizing. Bike manufacturers wanted to cut
manufacturing costs to match the sizing of mountain bikes.

A size "small" in a compact frame design would be ideal. Most bikes now come
with stems that clamp on to the steerer. Like mountain bikes. (thanks to
A-head.) The compacts (in small) should have a short top tube. Change out the
stem and get her fitted. If she's using this for sport (GOOD THING) I would
recommend aluminum frame-carbon fork. (cost-perfomance-ride) Most come that way
now. Some bikes come with 650 wheels. Not a good idea. Try to stick with a 700c
if you can. Less headaches.

Get Clipless pedals.

Specialized
*Giant
Cannondale uses 650c in smaller sizes and are a bit pricey.
Fuji has some great deals price wise.

*I worked in "Quality assurance" sometime back....

Pat
October 25th 04, 09:46 PM
:
: "Jee Doy" <: > My daughter is in college and wants a road bike, not for
campus
: transportation,
: > but for sport. Are there any better manufacturers of frames designed
for
: > women?

What size is your daughter? Does she plan to ride the bike wearing a skirt?
If not, she could use any bike frame at all, practically--that fits,
naturally.

Pat in TX

Pat
October 25th 04, 09:46 PM
:
[...]

October 27th 04, 04:18 AM
>What size is your daughter? Does she plan to ride the bike wearing a skirt?
>If not, she could use any bike frame at all, practically--that fits,
>naturally.
>
>Pat in TX

Daughter is 5'-4" and I don't know the bike inseam measurement. But she does
not plan on using this for campus transporation. There is a triathlete club
and she wants to try it. So the bike is going to be for triathlons.

Jee Doy
October 27th 04, 04:18 AM
>What size is your daughter? Does she plan to ride the bike wearing a skirt?
>If not, she could use any bike frame at all, practically--that fits,
>naturally.
>
>Pat in TX

Daughter is 5'-4" and I don't know the bike inseam measurement. But she does
not plan on using this for campus transporation. There is a triathlete club
and she wants to try it. So the bike is going to be for triathlons.

Jee Doy
October 27th 04, 04:18 AM
>What size is your daughter? Does she plan to ride the bike wearing a skirt?
>If not, she could use any bike frame at all, practically--that fits,
>naturally.
>
>Pat in TX

Daughter is 5'-4" and I don't know the bike inseam measurement. But she does
not plan on using this for campus transporation. There is a triathlete club
and she wants to try it. So the bike is going to be for triathlons.

Pat
October 27th 04, 02:45 PM
"Jee Doy" > wrote in message
: >What size is your daughter? Does she plan to ride the bike wearing a
skirt?
: >If not, she could use any bike frame at all, practically--that fits,
: >naturally.
: >
: >Pat in TX
:
: Daughter is 5'-4" and I don't know the bike inseam measurement. But she
does
: not plan on using this for campus transporation. There is a triathlete
club
: and she wants to try it. So the bike is going to be for triathlons.

Then zero in on triathlon bikes. They are made slightly differently from
ordinary road bikes. They will have the diamond frame shape because it makes
the frame stiffer and that imparts more of her energy to its purpose instead
of wasting energy with sideways motion. She doesn't need a 'woman's bike'
but a bike that fits her and is for the use she intends it for. Go to a
local bicycle shop and talk to them about her needs. Oh, go to more than
one. You need to develop a relationship with a good local bicycle shop
because they will keep you from buying the wrong bike and being unhappy---if
you choose the right bicycle shop.

good luck!

Pat in TX
:

[...]