PDA

View Full Version : Transamerica light touring

Pat Clancy
October 20th 04, 01:19 PM
I'm hoping to do a transamerica ride in the next couple of years. I'm
currently leaning towards the Adventure Cycling northern tier route.
However, I'm not big on camping and would prefer to travel light and
stay in motels. An Adventure Cycling FAQ claims that with careful
planning and some adjustments to daily mileage, it can be done.
Anyone out there tried it? If not the northern tier route
specifically, how about other long tours where there was no commerical
organization pre-arranging the accomodations?

Mike Schwab
October 20th 04, 09:01 PM
Search on http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

Pat Clancy wrote:

> I'm hoping to do a transamerica ride in the next couple of years. I'm
> currently leaning towards the Adventure Cycling northern tier route.
> However, I'm not big on camping and would prefer to travel light and
> stay in motels. An Adventure Cycling FAQ claims that with careful
> planning and some adjustments to daily mileage, it can be done.
> Anyone out there tried it? If not the northern tier route
> specifically, how about other long tours where there was no commerical
> organization pre-arranging the accomodations?

Cliff Allo
November 11th 04, 07:59 PM
My cross country trip in 2003 from Tacoma WA to Washington DC was
motels all but one night. See
http://www.cliffallo.us/Cycling/JuneJuly2003/ for a partial report.

I have another tour from Seattle to Portland, Maine, sticking closer
to the Northern Tier, planned out, again using motels.

DeLorme's Street Atlas and Yahoo's Yellow Pages have provided enough
information for planning for both tours. ACA's maps, of course, also
provide useful comparions and occasionally better choices.

On 20 Oct 2004 05:19:56 -0700, (Pat Clancy) wrote:

>I'm hoping to do a transamerica ride in the next couple of years. I'm
>currently leaning towards the Adventure Cycling northern tier route.
>However, I'm not big on camping and would prefer to travel light and
>stay in motels. An Adventure Cycling FAQ claims that with careful
>planning and some adjustments to daily mileage, it can be done.
>Anyone out there tried it? If not the northern tier route
>specifically, how about other long tours where there was no commerical
>organization pre-arranging the accomodations?

Cliff Allo
November 11th 04, 07:59 PM
My cross country trip in 2003 from Tacoma WA to Washington DC was
motels all but one night. See
http://www.cliffallo.us/Cycling/JuneJuly2003/ for a partial report.

I have another tour from Seattle to Portland, Maine, sticking closer
to the Northern Tier, planned out, again using motels.

DeLorme's Street Atlas and Yahoo's Yellow Pages have provided enough
information for planning for both tours. ACA's maps, of course, also
provide useful comparions and occasionally better choices.

On 20 Oct 2004 05:19:56 -0700, (Pat Clancy) wrote:

>I'm hoping to do a transamerica ride in the next couple of years. I'm
>currently leaning towards the Adventure Cycling northern tier route.
>However, I'm not big on camping and would prefer to travel light and
>stay in motels. An Adventure Cycling FAQ claims that with careful
>planning and some adjustments to daily mileage, it can be done.
>Anyone out there tried it? If not the northern tier route
>specifically, how about other long tours where there was no commerical
>organization pre-arranging the accomodations?

Denver C. Fox
November 11th 04, 08:45 PM
Clicking your trip segments yielded the following:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page
seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the
error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
www.cliffallo.us
Thu Nov 11 12:44:46 2004
Apache/2.0.50 (Unix)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Denver C. Fox
November 11th 04, 08:45 PM
Clicking your trip segments yielded the following:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page
seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the
error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
www.cliffallo.us
Thu Nov 11 12:44:46 2004
Apache/2.0.50 (Unix)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Matt O'Toole
November 14th 04, 11:17 PM
Denver C. Fox wrote:

> Clicking your trip segments yielded the following:
>
> Object not found!
> The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the
> referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the
> author of that page about the error.
>
> If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

It's working fine for me!

Fascinating idea -- I'm looking forward to reading it through.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole
November 14th 04, 11:17 PM
Denver C. Fox wrote:

> Clicking your trip segments yielded the following:
>
> Object not found!
> The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the
> referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the
> author of that page about the error.
>
> If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

It's working fine for me!

Fascinating idea -- I'm looking forward to reading it through.

Matt O.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home