PDA

View Full Version : Saddleback Mountain

Jee Doy
December 8th 04, 12:48 AM
I wanted to know about the ride up Saddleback Mountain in So Calif Cleveland
National Forest.

Bill Bushnell
December 8th 04, 10:55 PM
Jee Doy > wrote:
> I wanted to know about the ride up Saddleback Mountain in So Calif Cleveland
> National Forest.

I've been up via Silverado Canyon. Report at:

http://www.pobox.com/~bushnell/ride_stories/santiago.peak.1994.04.03

--
Bill Bushnell

Bill Bushnell
December 8th 04, 10:55 PM
Jee Doy > wrote:
> I wanted to know about the ride up Saddleback Mountain in So Calif Cleveland
> National Forest.

I've been up via Silverado Canyon. Report at:

http://www.pobox.com/~bushnell/ride_stories/santiago.peak.1994.04.03

--
Bill Bushnell

Matt O'Toole
December 9th 04, 04:30 AM
Jee Doy wrote:

> I wanted to know about the ride up Saddleback Mountain in So Calif
> Cleveland National Forest.

I used to do it at least once a week. From Silverado Cyn. it's a little over
4000' of climbing, mostly on bumpy fireroads. Nice riding, with great views.
This is the best time of year to do it too, when it's cool and clear. I always
enjoyed riding to the snow. Apparently it's been snowing up there already:

http://www.sharemtb.com/index.htm

Silverado Cyn. is shorter and allegedly steeper than Modjeska Cyn., but I think
the steepness is about the same. The steepest part of either is within the
first couple of miles. Silverado is shadier. Beware of trail washouts if
there's been a lot of rain. Call or ask about trail conditions before heading
out. Also remember there are several creek crossings at the start of the ride,
so be prepared, or freeze the rest of the way.

Pick up a "Franko's" map of the region at a local bike shop. They're terrific,
and waterproof. I also recommend Randy Vogel's "Mountain Biking Orange County."
It's *the* book on the subject.

Enjoy!

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole
December 9th 04, 04:30 AM
Jee Doy wrote:

> I wanted to know about the ride up Saddleback Mountain in So Calif
> Cleveland National Forest.

I used to do it at least once a week. From Silverado Cyn. it's a little over
4000' of climbing, mostly on bumpy fireroads. Nice riding, with great views.
This is the best time of year to do it too, when it's cool and clear. I always
enjoyed riding to the snow. Apparently it's been snowing up there already:

http://www.sharemtb.com/index.htm

Silverado Cyn. is shorter and allegedly steeper than Modjeska Cyn., but I think
the steepness is about the same. The steepest part of either is within the
first couple of miles. Silverado is shadier. Beware of trail washouts if
there's been a lot of rain. Call or ask about trail conditions before heading
out. Also remember there are several creek crossings at the start of the ride,
so be prepared, or freeze the rest of the way.

Pick up a "Franko's" map of the region at a local bike shop. They're terrific,
and waterproof. I also recommend Randy Vogel's "Mountain Biking Orange County."
It's *the* book on the subject.

Enjoy!

Matt O.

Google