PDA

View Full Version : Bike for 500lb Rider?

October 25th 04, 01:50 AM
Hi,

What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.

Also, what guidelines could you recommend for him to look for?
Obviously something that can bear up with his weight, but what types
of components/materials are better than others?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alan Acock
October 25th 04, 05:18 PM
wrote in
om:

> Hi,
>

> What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
> height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
> bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
> the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
> prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.
>
> Also, what guidelines could you recommend for him to look for?
> Obviously something that can bear up with his weight, but what types
> of components/materials are better than others?
>
> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks!

I'm not an expert on this but I would think a heavy duty mountain bike
without suspension, but with heavy duty wheels would work fine. This
assumes the person has the flexibility to get his/her leg over the top
tube. The wheels designed for down hill bikes are intended to take jumps
by a 200 pound rider and this surely puts several times that pressure on
the wheels.Also, getting the extra wide tires used on down hill bikes
would probably help. Sooooo, down hill bike heavy duty wheels and tires
together with a heavy duty, but unsuspended mountain bike frame should
work fine. Somebody else surely has more knowledge about suspension
rather than nonsuspension.

Alan Acock

Robert Haston
October 26th 04, 03:01 AM
From the Worksman bike site

"Worksman Industrial Bicycles are simply the most heavy duty bikes made"

http://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html

"Alan Acock" > wrote in message
6...
> wrote in
> om:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
>> height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
>> bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
>> the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
>> prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.
>>
>> Also, what guidelines could you recommend for him to look for?
>> Obviously something that can bear up with his weight, but what types
>> of components/materials are better than others?
>>
>> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks!
>
> I'm not an expert on this but I would think a heavy duty mountain bike
> without suspension, but with heavy duty wheels would work fine. This
> assumes the person has the flexibility to get his/her leg over the top
> tube. The wheels designed for down hill bikes are intended to take jumps
> by a 200 pound rider and this surely puts several times that pressure on
> the wheels.Also, getting the extra wide tires used on down hill bikes
> would probably help. Sooooo, down hill bike heavy duty wheels and tires
> together with a heavy duty, but unsuspended mountain bike frame should
> work fine. Somebody else surely has more knowledge about suspension
> rather than nonsuspension.
>
> Alan Acock

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home