PDA

View Full Version : When Close to Home is Close to Home

Blair P. Houghton
November 18th 04, 12:47 AM
This happened about 200 yards from my front door:

http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/crime/articles/041112b.html

You can see the spot in my homepage photo:

http://blair.houghton.net/

Pecos is the four-lane road with the wide median at the
very bottom of the picture. The shrine is about midway
between the two power-pole shadows that fall across it.

I remember seeing the shrine (it's a hispanic thing;
usually a cross and some plastic flowers, but it can be
more elaborate) the day after it happened. I thought it
was just another traffic accident. Then I read the story.

It's now one of two shrines to cyclists killed within
the confines of that photograph. The other is on the
south side of the intersection of Liberty (the darker
road with the center-turn lane) and 17th Street (the
short north-south street on the left). It's for a 9-
or 10-year-old boy, also riding in a bike lane, hit by a
car 4 years ago. His family still maintains it.

I ride past each of them four times when I'm doing my
normal loop-ride, east on Liberty then west on Pecos.

Anselmo's shrine is growing. Clearly a grandfather with a
loving family. I was wondering if the local riders would
add to it as well. Then on my third lap this morning I
noticed someone had left him a water bottle.

--Blair
"Two wheels good."

Mitch Haley
November 18th 04, 03:01 AM
"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> It's now one of two shrines to cyclists killed within
> the confines of that photograph.

> It's for a 9-or 10-year-old boy, also riding in a
> bike lane, hit by a car 4 years ago. His family still maintains it.

I wonder what the odds are on two separate cyclist fatalities (out
of 7,000-8,000 per decade in the USA) happening within sight of
each other. I also wonder if it was in spite of or partly caused
by the bike lane.

Mitch.

Mike Beauchamp
November 18th 04, 06:25 AM
Wow.. ****..

We recently got bike lanes in a major street, and the papers were FILLED
with ****ed off people that were against the lanes. Mainly because the rode
went from 4 lanes to 2 because of the bike lane additions.. so the car
people werent' happy. Whenever I ride on these bike lanes, I'm afraid
someone in a car is going to get ****ed off and take it out on me because
they're stuck at a red light at 5:15PM.

Mike

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> This happened about 200 yards from my front door:
>
> http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/crime/articles/041112b.html
>
> You can see the spot in my homepage photo:
>
> http://blair.houghton.net/
>
> Pecos is the four-lane road with the wide median at the
> very bottom of the picture. The shrine is about midway
> between the two power-pole shadows that fall across it.
>
> I remember seeing the shrine (it's a hispanic thing;
> usually a cross and some plastic flowers, but it can be
> more elaborate) the day after it happened. I thought it
> was just another traffic accident. Then I read the story.
>
> It's now one of two shrines to cyclists killed within
> the confines of that photograph. The other is on the
> south side of the intersection of Liberty (the darker
> road with the center-turn lane) and 17th Street (the
> short north-south street on the left). It's for a 9-
> or 10-year-old boy, also riding in a bike lane, hit by a
> car 4 years ago. His family still maintains it.
>
> I ride past each of them four times when I'm doing my
> normal loop-ride, east on Liberty then west on Pecos.
>
> Anselmo's shrine is growing. Clearly a grandfather with a
> loving family. I was wondering if the local riders would
> add to it as well. Then on my third lap this morning I
> noticed someone had left him a water bottle.
>
> --Blair
> "Two wheels good."

December 2nd 04, 09:45 PM
I am Don Anselmo's daughter. A lot of people heard about my dad being
killed riding his bicycle on Pecos Road but most do not know how tragic
the accident really was. I hope the bicyclists in this community are
concerned. My dad was killed on a clear day at high noon on the
straightest, flattest road in Phoenix. The first tire mark on the scene
is the back wheel of my dad's bike in the middle of the bike lane where
he was struck square from behind and then sent straight through the
windshield. The driver tried to blame my dad for the accident but the
police have already proven this impossible. The driver also admitted to
smoking pot regularly but not that morning (just imagine what he could
do under the influence). But it still doesn't matter to the police - as
long as his blood is clean on that day, he will bare no responsibility.
We still don't even have the truck's insurance information and the
police don't seem to care and I'm sure that is against the law. The
driver's mother also claims he has the mentality of a 14 year old - why
would you let him drive? Anyway he'll be out there again.

I'm asking the bicyclists in the area to put some pressure on the
police to make sure this driver bares some responsibility. I know the
case is still being reviewed and some attention and concern from other
riders could help.

Police report#042102018

[...]

Mike Kruger
December 4th 04, 04:27 AM
wrote:
> I am Don Anselmo's daughter.

I know of your father only through the posts and links here
on this newsgroup, but he sounds like a man I would have
liked to have known. I am sorry for your loss.

--
Mike Kruger
Too many people spend money they haven't earned

Mike Kruger
December 4th 04, 04:27 AM
wrote:
> I am Don Anselmo's daughter.

I know of your father only through the posts and links here
on this newsgroup, but he sounds like a man I would have
liked to have known. I am sorry for your loss.

--
Mike Kruger
Too many people spend money they haven't earned
to buy things they don't want
to impress people they don't like. -Will Rogers

Mike
December 5th 04, 05:45 AM
wrote:
>I am Don Anselmo's daughter. A lot of people heard about my dad being
>killed riding his bicycle on Pecos Road but most do not know how
>tragic the accident really was. I hope the bicyclists in this
> community are concerned.

We are concerned as is the newspaper writer, Lindsey Collom of
Ahwatuke Republic, whom did a beautiful eulogy of your father Don. She
also did an article called "Slow down, for Sarah" which emits a
parallel concern for this "free for all Mad-Max driving philosophy"
that most of society now considers an accepted norm and are tolerating
with our other ills. We should email her (as I will) to encourage
people in the media and politics to fight for safe streets, biking and
health.

>police have already proven this impossible. The driver also admitted
>to smoking pot regularly but not that morning (just imagine what he
>could do >under the influence). But it still doesn't matter to the
> police – as long as his blood is clean on that day, he will bare
> no responsibility.

They are being killed in this madness like we are, we must convince
the populous to craft new laws and transportation methods. I will
think of your great dad, which served his family and nation so well,
along with the many others untimely deceased, but not forgotten, as I
ride these very hills Lance has in Texas. However we don't even have
bike lanes here in Texas that I know of? However I would like to visit
a state like AZ to see them, but apparently they are not effective.
Even Rhonda Hoyt, who is co-owner of Richardson Bike Mart, the store
that sold Lance his first road bike, with all her experience had a
near fatal accident.
http://www.interbike.com/interbike/reports_analysis/article_display_new.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000709036
God bless you and your father, that we witnessed his life on the
Internet, for all the Holy Spirit. Mike

Mike
December 5th 04, 05:45 AM
wrote:
>I am Don Anselmo's daughter. A lot of people heard about my dad being
>killed riding his bicycle on Pecos Road but most do not know how
>tragic the accident really was. I hope the bicyclists in this
> community are concerned.

We are concerned as is the newspaper writer, Lindsey Collom of
Ahwatuke Republic, whom did a beautiful eulogy of your father Don. She
also did an article called "Slow down, for Sarah" which emits a
parallel concern for this "free for all Mad-Max driving philosophy"
that most of society now considers an accepted norm and are tolerating
with our other ills. We should email her (as I will) to encourage
people in the media and politics to fight for safe streets, biking and
health.

>police have already proven this impossible. The driver also admitted
>to smoking pot regularly but not that morning (just imagine what he
>could do >under the influence). But it still doesn't matter to the
> police – as long as his blood is clean on that day, he will bare
> no responsibility.

They are being killed in this madness like we are, we must convince
the populous to craft new laws and transportation methods. I will
think of your great dad, which served his family and nation so well,
along with the many others untimely deceased, but not forgotten, as I
ride these very hills Lance has in Texas. However we don't even have
bike lanes here in Texas that I know of? However I would like to visit
a state like AZ to see them, but apparently they are not effective.
Even Rhonda Hoyt, who is co-owner of Richardson Bike Mart, the store
that sold Lance his first road bike, with all her experience had a
near fatal accident.
http://www.interbike.com/interbike/reports_analysis/article_display_new.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000709036
God bless you and your father, that we witnessed his life on the
Internet, for all the Holy Spirit. Mike

December 7th 04, 05:30 PM
My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it is
not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone as
long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO penalty
what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver for
the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
complain. Thanks

December 7th 04, 05:30 PM
My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it is
not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone as
long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO penalty
what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver for
the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
complain. Thanks

dgk
December 7th 04, 07:27 PM
On 7 Dec 2004 09:30:56 -0800, wrote:

>My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
>according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it is
>not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone as
>long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO penalty
>what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
>lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
>bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver for
>the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
>complain. Thanks

I don't think I can add much to this, except for my own expression of
sorrow, but it isn't illegal to drive on the shoulder? I thought the
shoulder was for emergency stopping. If someone is driving there just
to pass other cars, isn't that reckless driving? The article said
nothing about traffic conditions at the time. Frankly, anything that
would cause someone to drive on the shoulder is reckless driving. He
was distracted by something, unless, as the article points out, he
frequented the group opposing bicycles on the street. Then it could be
murder.

dgk
December 7th 04, 07:27 PM
On 7 Dec 2004 09:30:56 -0800, wrote:

>My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
>according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it is
>not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone as
>long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO penalty
>what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
>lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
>bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver for
>the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
>complain. Thanks

I don't think I can add much to this, except for my own expression of
sorrow, but it isn't illegal to drive on the shoulder? I thought the
shoulder was for emergency stopping. If someone is driving there just
to pass other cars, isn't that reckless driving? The article said
nothing about traffic conditions at the time. Frankly, anything that
would cause someone to drive on the shoulder is reckless driving. He
was distracted by something, unless, as the article points out, he
frequented the group opposing bicycles on the street. Then it could be
murder.

chris
December 11th 04, 04:54 PM
dgk wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2004 09:30:56 -0800, wrote:
>
> >My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
> >according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it
is
> >not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone
as
> >long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO
penalty
> >what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
> >lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
> >bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver
for
> >the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
> >complain. Thanks
>
> I don't think I can add much to this, except for my own expression of
> sorrow, but it isn't illegal to drive on the shoulder? I thought the
> shoulder was for emergency stopping. If someone is driving there just
> to pass other cars, isn't that reckless driving? The article said
> nothing about traffic conditions at the time. Frankly, anything that
> would cause someone to drive on the shoulder is reckless driving. He
> was distracted by something, unless, as the article points out, he
> frequented the group opposing bicycles on the street. Then it could
be
> murder.

chris
December 11th 04, 04:56 PM
Subject: Ride of Silence - December 18th

As most of you know, a fellow cyclist, Don Anselmo, was recently killed
on Pecos Road. In memory of Don we are going to hold a 'Ride of
Silence' on Saturday, December 18th at 8:00am. The intent of this ride
is to honor Don and other fallen cyclists and to promote the awareness
of
cycling safety. Mountain Park Community Church has allowed us to use
their
parking lot as a meeting place (24th St. and Pecos). We'll leave from
Mountain
Park Community Church at 8:00am and ride 1 loop of Pecos.
The Ride of Silence is not a training ride and asks that
cyclists ride no faster than 12mph and ride silent. To learn more about
the
national ride:
<http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php>
While the national ride is held during May, we are holding our ride in
December due to the recent tragedy.

Please pass this message onto other cyclists as all are welcome.
Sincerely,

>Jane Meneely
>(602) 431-6598

Google