PDA

View Full Version : MountainUnicycling.us

teachndad
August 16th 04, 02:09 PM
I wanted to post about my new website: 'MountainUnicycling.us'
(http://www.mountainunicycling.us)

I live in the Los Angeles area and I wanted to do something to support
MUni in the area. So, my website highlights some trails. I put together
a list of some of the trails that I have ridden and posted them on a
page on the website. Each trail has a brief description, getting there
section, and a simple “at a glance” rating. The trails page can be
reached 'HERE' (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn) Some trails only have
descriptions and no photos, yet.

Most of the trails are linked to a gallery 'Greater Los Angeles Trails'
(http://tinyurl.com/4otql), so the rider can view parts of the trail to
get a better “idea” as to what the trail might be like. Each album has
a link back to the favorite trails webpage for easy reference. The
gallery includes images from various rides around greater Los Angeles
and Ventura County. It includes:
The West Valley - 3 trails,
Angeles Forest - 1 trail,
West LA - 1 trials area,
Ventura County - 1 trail.

My hope is that other riders in the LA area will contribute to both the
gallery and the website with descriptions, so there will be a resource
for any level rider to view when looking for a new trail. I will have
the website address and favorite trails page as part of my sigline,
also. If you want to help, contact me at teachndad(at)aol(dot)com.

I will have MountainUnicycling.us on the back window of my car in large
letters to advertise the site to the general public. I drive across the
San Fernando Valley floor 3 to 4 times a week. I hope that will give
it some coverage and maybe pull in some interested people into the
sport.

Thanks to Michael Grant for helping out with the links and Josh
Schoolcraft for giving me the idea to explore Angeles Forest and
contribute a trail description for Josephine/Strawberry Peak. Also,
thanks to Kevin Gilby for making it all possible.

Comments, Questions?

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicycling.us' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Krashin'Kenny
August 16th 04, 05:23 PM
Rod, that's an excellent idea. I like the website, concise yet
informative. The color on your Wilder looks so much darker in the
picture. In case your wondering, I got a peek at it while Scott had it
down here :D

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

[...]

johnfoss
August 16th 04, 06:45 PM
That's great, a site for MUni people in the LA area! With such a huge
population down there, it's sure to be a resource not only for
unicyclists, but can be for bicyclists as well. Surely if people find
it, it will help bring more trail riders to you. Be sure to mention in
obvious places that you want feedback and more trail info from
readers.

Web notes:
The picture on the homepage by Eyal is 404 KB in size. That's ten times
as big as the one above it. Photos you display on the web should be
shown at actual size (the actual size is larger than what you put on the
page), and not such large file sizes. A photo that size, depending on
how complex the image, should be around 35 KB or so.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

[...]

andrew_carter
August 16th 04, 11:39 PM
That's a fantastic site, great work! It might be worth noting that
'album123' in the gallery is just the storage space for all the content
at www.unicycle.2ya.com . www.unicycle.2ya.com (a joint project between
Peter van Boekhout and I) is finally starting to fill out in the
non-trials sections.

Thanks a lot for the link, do you mind if we link to your site on
unicycle.2ya.com?

And one very minor correction - you misspelled 'cpntact' at the bottom
of each page.

A very impressive and helpful site!

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

[...]

vivalargo
August 17th 04, 01:36 AM
Hey,

I've been keeping notes on all the local single tracks we've been
bashing over the last 6 months here in the Santa Monica (LA)mountains,
and will try and round them into a submission in the next month or so.

What's interesting about these trails is that unless there's some
phantom Munier we've never seen, all of these are first descents (on a
MUni), which is something worth keeping track of, much as they do in the
rock climbing and kayaking world.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

[...]

S_Wallis
August 17th 04, 02:17 AM
Rod, it's good to see you did something constructive on your summer
vacation. That should be a useful site and hopefully you will get many
contributions to it.

Give Rod a break on the mispelling, he is only a school teacher, after
all. ;)

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"Don't neglect your knees! They're really useful." Words of wisdom from
Cyberbellum

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

[...]

unibiker
August 17th 04, 07:45 AM
Great site Rod! I bet it drums up a lot of riding buddies. Looks kinda
tempting. I'll have to add it to my wish list of places to visit.
Haven't ridden out there in almost 20 years.

--
unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

Jeff Baker

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!! > > > > 'Unibiker's Photo Gallery'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

[...]

August 17th 04, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the comments, gentlemen. It’s appreciated. I want to
write a full response, but I am leaving for a two day trip to San Diego
and Legoland today with my family. I will respond more fully on
Thursday.

But, I have to respond quickly to Andrews comment:

-"And one very minor correction - you misspelled 'cpntact' at the bottom
of each page." -

My response:

…Andrew gets a point for table 4!

Good job Andrew, I was really just checking to see if anyone would
notice.;)

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

[...]

merrill
August 17th 04, 05:52 PM
Rod, Great site. I like your trail descriptions. I'd really like to
come out there around Jan Feb when the weather is at it's worst on the
east coast. Maybe we can do a big group ride then.

Joe

--
merrill - Gabba Gabba Hey

The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for
entrepreneur. Dubya - July 10, 2003.

merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

[...]

August 19th 04, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the support, gentlemen. It helps me feel like all the work
was worthwhile.

I’m glad John mentioned the second image. I thought that it might be
too large and slow down the loading of the webpage. I’ll either take it
our, or resize it, if I can figure out how to do that. The images were
taken with two different camaras.

Andrew,
By all means, add the link. Thanks.

> I've been keeping notes on all the local single tracks we've been
> bashing over the last 6 months here in the Santa Monica (LA)mountains,
> and will try and round them into a submission in the next month or so.

JL,
It wold be great if you could submit descriptions. I’ll gladly put them
up and reference you as author, as I would do with all submissions.

First descents could be listed with the trail descriptions. I can do
that with the submissions. Only thing is, there might just be some
phantom Muniers out there. I know there is or used to be a rider in
Simi Valley and in one of my searches, made reference to riding up in
China Flat, which means there is someone out there we don’t know
anything about. Also, the guy who bought the trials obstacles from the
producers of the TV show that did the balance experiments with Kris Holm
is out there too. He is here in the Valley. Unfortunately, I emailed and
PM’d both of them at the beginning of the summer and got no response.
It blows my mind that in a city with over 2 million people, only John
(screen name - vivalargo) and I are the only MUni riders that I know
of.

A friend of mine who lives in Topanga Canyon says he saw someone with a
MUni last year pulling a MUni out of a white pickup truck near the
entrance to Topanga Canyon State Park and also saw "some kid” riding a
Muni in the Topanga Canyon Memorial Day Parade. There’s gotta be more
of us but we don’t know about each other. Arrrgh!

On a side note, Josh Schoolcraft(screen name - entropy), was here from
Maine working at Cal Tech for the summer and I loaned him my old MUni.
He’s lovin it, and once back in Maine, in two days, will purchase a
MUni.

> I'd really like to come out there around Jan Feb when the weather is
> at it's worst on the east coast. Maybe we can do a big group ride
> then.

Joe,
Hey, great to hear from you. Joe, “Come on Down!” If you want a large
group, then I can set you up with the Santa Barbara MUni Crew. They are
about 90 minutes north of where I live. There is some great riding up
there. Keep in mind, contrary to the song, it does rain in California.
January can be rainy, but it can also be quite pleasant, too.
__________________

After I finished this project, I figured out I could set up a different
web page for each geographic area just like I did in the gallery. So, I
may do that and include links to the other geographic area webpages on
the main favorite trails page. Freewebs.com allocates 7 pages for free,
which would be enough to do that. For convenience, I may put in a
printing link, so that it would be more user friendly to print out
descriptions of specific trails.

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

> [...]

January can be rainy, but it can also be quite pleasant, too.
__________________

After I finished this project, I figured out I could set up a different
web page for each geographic area just like I did in the gallery. So, I
may do that and include links to the other geographic area webpages on
the main favorite trails page. Freewebs.com allocates 7 pages for free,
which would be enough to do that. For convenience, I may put in a
printing link, so that it would be more user friendly to print out
descriptions of specific trails.

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicycling.us' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'

BoojiBoy
August 19th 04, 03:15 PM
teachndad wrote:
> *
> On a side note, Josh Schoolcraft(screen name - entropy), was here
> from Maine working at Cal Tech for the summer and I loaned him my old
> MUni. He’s lovin it, and once back in Maine, in two days, will
> purchase a MUni.
> *

Awesome. I know Schooler. So THAT's where he's been. I've had no one to
ride with here in Maine all summer.

In regards to your website and images: Everything online is displayed at
72dpi, so if you take the resolution down to 72, it makes it a lot
smaller and you wont notice a difference in quality on your page.

If it's a photo, save it as a jpeg, if it's a text banner or something
with solid flat colours, save it as a gif.

--
BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider

www.skawabunga.tk
www.purevolume.com/skawabunga
www.epluribusfunk.tk
gallery.unicyclist.com/epluribusfunk
BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

BoojiBoy
August 19th 04, 03:15 PM

teachndad wrote:
> *
> On a side note, Josh Schoolcraft(screen name - entropy), was here
> from Maine working at Cal Tech for the summer and I loaned him my old
> MUni. He’s lovin it, and once back in Maine, in two days, will
> purchase a MUni.
> *

Awesome. I know Schooler. So THAT's where he's been. I've had no one to
ride with here in Maine all summer.

In regards to your website and images: Everything online is displayed at
72dpi, so if you take the resolution down to 72, it makes it a lot
smaller and you wont notice a difference in quality on your page.

If it's a photo, save it as a jpeg, if it's a text banner or something
with solid flat colours, save it as a gif.

--
BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider

www.skawabunga.tk
www.purevolume.com/skawabunga
www.epluribusfunk.tk
gallery.unicyclist.com/epluribusfunk
BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

entropy
August 29th 04, 02:47 AM
I gotta give Rod a huge thanks for letting me use the MUni. It was an
all-around excellent experience, definately got me completely hooked on
MUni.

I'm back at school now, gearing up for one last year of undergrad.

I met someone at the Jet Propulsion Lab who rode MUni (a Pashley). He
said that he had ridden the trails behind JPL about a year ago, but had
since hung up his wheel. Of course, I totally forgot his name.

--
entropy - life in balance
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

gerblefranklin
August 29th 04, 04:00 AM
entropy wrote:
> *I gotta give Rod a huge thanks for letting me use the MUni. It was
> an all-around excellent experience, definately got me completely
> hooked on MUni.
>
> I'm back at school now, gearing up for one last year of undergrad.
>
> I met someone at the Jet Propulsion Lab who rode MUni (a Pashley). He
> said that he had ridden the trails behind JPL about a year ago, but
> had since hung up his wheel. Of course, I totally forgot his name. *

While on UCSC I met 2 muni riders plus about 15 other people who could
ride. And I was only there for a month.

Rod: Your site rocks! I really liked the chart for trail descriptions,
although it'd be nice if you'd quantify what beginner, intermediate,
advanced, and expert mean. Also, a few small notes, you had a typo on
the links page. Your finger must've slipped and you put an "n" into "my
own page" so it reads "mynown page". Also, the first picture on the
homepage doesn't load for me and fianlly, on the links page, you may
want to add an apostraphe to "Sofas reviews page," so that it reads
"Sofa's reviews page." Or not, I'm just being nit-picky.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
out?

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home