PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on grade school/jr hi assembly

billham
August 18th 04, 05:04 PM
My 7 yr old daughter and I will be doing an assembly at her school for
grades 1 - 9. If all works out this will be the first step in getting
interest for a uni club at her school.

I am thinking of doing a few freestyle tricks (my trick list is
limited), some trials (some hopping, skinnies, a few drops and some
gaps) and showing some short videos of MUni, trials, freestyle, etc.
I'm also thinking of taking all my unis to show differences in
riding/uni needs. I have a coker, KH24, 24" semcycle XL, 20" freestyle
and 16". My daughter can do freemounts, skinnies, a teeter totter (sp?)
and low drops. Oh yeah, she can also hop 0.5" - 1" high. (It's a
start)

I also am thinking of doing a demonstration on the basics and covering
how a person learns to ride.

Objectives for the assembly are:
1. Develop interest and initiate recruitment for a uni club at this
school
2. Educate kids on the variety of uni styles
3. Entertain them!

Any thoughts or experiences on what works best for getting the kids
interested in uni?

Bill

--
billham

billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

johnfoss
August 18th 04, 05:18 PM
Show them what the uni can do. First in your hands, then on the video.
Universe 2 would be nice (not the whole thing). Keep the talking to a
minimum and the action going for that age group.

I think to motivate kids it's important to reinforce the message that
"you can do this." It seems impossible at first, but if you stick with
it you *will* learn. Show the basic steps of learning to ride, but don't
spend more than max. 5 minutes on it.

Finish by opening the floor to questions. For best results, get most of
your questions from the third graders and up. Most school unicycle
programs start around grade 4 or 5. As you go younger, more and more
time is needed to get success on the unicycles. The very youngest kids
don't usually have useful questions.

Have fun!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

[...]

August 18th 04, 11:38 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> *For best results, get most of your questions from the third graders
> and up. Most school unicycle programs start around grade 4 or 5. As
> you go younger, more and more time is needed to get success on the
> unicycles. The very youngest kids don't usually have useful
> questions.
>
> *

Now there's a dilema! My daughter will be in 2nd grade, I almost have
to allow 2nd graders in the club. How could I exclude my daughter? I
would assume that more adult supervision would be needed with the
younger ones (2nd and 3rd graders). I would think extra encouragement
might be needed at the younger age. Any one have experience with really
young kids in a club?

Thanks for some good input, John.

Bill

--

johnfoss wrote:
> *For best results, get most of your questions from the third graders
> and up. Most school unicycle programs start around grade 4 or 5. As
> you go younger, more and more time is needed to get success on the
> unicycles. The very youngest kids don't usually have useful
> questions.
>
> *

Now there's a dilema! My daughter will be in 2nd grade, I almost have
to allow 2nd graders in the club. How could I exclude my daughter? I
would assume that more adult supervision would be needed with the
younger ones (2nd and 3rd graders). I would think extra encouragement
might be needed at the younger age. Any one have experience with really
young kids in a club?

Thanks for some good input, John.

Bill

--
billham

billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

johnfoss
August 19th 04, 01:05 AM
I was just talking about taking questions in your assembly. Of course
you can have the younger kids in your club. If it's to be a school-based
club, your needs and requirements (and limitations) will be different
from if it's something you are in control of.

Younger kids generally take a little longer to learn, and will need more
supervision if they don't stay on task very long. If you need more adult
supervision you might have to require parents to hang out (if it's
outside school hours), or otherwise share the load with you, perhaps on
a rotating schedule, to be your assistants.

--
[...]

ctunicyclestar
August 19th 04, 01:39 AM
try getting a hold of Allen Tepper from panther pride demo team, he has
kids of all ages. he does school preformances and might be able to give
u some tips. good luck

--
ctunicyclestar
ctunicyclestar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7514

ctunicyclestar
August 19th 04, 01:39 AM
try getting a hold of Allen Tepper from panther pride demo team, he has
kids of all ages. he does school preformances and might be able to give
u some tips. good luck

--
ctunicyclestar
ctunicyclestar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7514

ctunicyclestar
August 19th 04, 01:39 AM
try getting a hold of Allen Tepper from panther pride demo team, he has
kids of all ages. he does school preformances and might be able to give
u some tips. good luck

--
ctunicyclestar
ctunicyclestar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7514

billham
August 19th 04, 03:00 AM
ctunicyclestar wrote:
> *try getting a hold of Allen Tepper from panther pride demo team, he
> has kids of all ages. he does school preformances and might be able to
> give u some tips. good luck *

Do you have any contact info that would help me contact him?

Bill

--

ctunicyclestar wrote:
> *try getting a hold of Allen Tepper from panther pride demo team, he
> has kids of all ages. he does school preformances and might be able to
> give u some tips. good luck *

Do you have any contact info that would help me contact him?

Bill

--
billham

billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

billham
August 19th 04, 04:49 PM
Cancel my request for contact info. I got his email address.

Bill

--
[...]

August 19th 04, 09:16 PM
you can see one of their preformances (or part of it) at the school
website http://tinyurl.com/5otq4 his school email address is also
there incase u cant get ahold of him with the one u have.

--
[...]

kokomojuggler
August 20th 04, 11:26 AM
Get as much audience interaction as you can. Place kids on stage and uni
around them. Ride past the first row and slap everyones hands.

If you can juggle on a uni, have 3 kids hold clubs, and hand them to you
one at a time and then juggle.

Tell them that THEY can do this. Maybe you thought it was impossible
once until you learned.

--
kokomojuggler - Coker Rider

Kokomo Juggler
-All Glory to God
kokomojuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4925

[...]

GILD
August 20th 04, 04:03 PM
some thoughts

look to MTV for presentation style
and i'm not being facetious
as john ponted out ref the 'learning to ride' segment, keep it short and
varied

suggestion
when u do the introduction of the different unicycles, dont do the whole
lot one after the other
rather take one, give them a brief description of what it is and what
it's used for
then show them some skills u can do on that uni and move to the video of
skills being done on that particular uni (if this is technologically
possible at the venue, if not, and u have to play your entire video
segment at the end, mention that there will be some footage of that kind
of unicycle in the video later)

go to a short 'bridging' section about the youngest and oldest
unicyclists in the world
and go to the second uni

for 'bridging' sections u can use info about the history of the
unicycle,
unicycle records, (distance, speed, height (ridden on ref sem or jumped
with)),
info about learning to ride (ask klaas for the use of some of the info
from his stats),
the situation with unicycling in japanese schools,
the different sports played on unicycles (unicycle quidditch is bound to
get some reaction)
and maybe some info about the big national and international uni-meets
these sections should be no longer than 45seconds

think MTV, there's a 3-4minute video on, when that's finished there's
some strangely eye-catching 'drop-in' before they move to the next
video
this is what i mean by MTV-style presentation

getting the kids to buy into your presentation right at the beginning
should be pretty easy cause u've got some very shiny, very kewl toys
there
the last assembly they had was about brushing their teeth
u'll be a hero before u even start

i normally work with adult groups (and then it's a corporate juggling
workshops) so please dont think of this as advice
think of this as a couple of thoughts i'm dropping in here for other
people with more of a backround in working with kids to comment on
i'd also like to hear people's thoughts on starting the presentation of
by asking the kids a bunch of questions to get them active and
responsive
'Who can ride a bicycle?'
'Who's ever seen someone ride a unicycle?'
'Who'd like to learn to ride a unicycle?'
(the last one only after a string of yesses)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

[...]

August 20th 04, 04:45 PM
kokomojuggler and GILD - good suggestions. keep them coming folks, very
helpful.

Gild - PM me some info on how you do corporate juggling workshops. It
sounds interesting.

Bill

--
[...]

Google