PDA

View Full Version : Re: 15 minute stillstand... is this for real?

TheBadger587
August 20th 04, 02:28 AM
http://tinyurl.com/4zpoh

apparently a guy at unicon, Richam Almacera, won the forward slow with a
time of 51 minutes, 43 seconds. AND stillstood for a record 15 minutes.
AND took second in the DH, Uphill, and XC races. is this story truthful?

--
TheBadger587 - HSG/DH MUni (Represent?)

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

TheBadger587
August 20th 04, 02:28 AM
http://tinyurl.com/4zpoh

apparently a guy at unicon, Richam Almacera, won the forward slow with a
time of 51 minutes, 43 seconds. AND stillstood for a record 15 minutes.
AND took second in the DH, Uphill, and XC races. is this story truthful?

--
TheBadger587 - HSG/DH MUni (Represent?)

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

onetrack
August 20th 04, 02:52 AM
I thought that you had to have foreward movement at all times in the
foreward slow. Or did I read this wrong.

mike

--
onetrack - street terrorist
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

[...]

KJ-52
August 20th 04, 04:03 AM
you read it wrong, read it again till you read it right, then memorize
it in six different languages.

The slow race and still stand were seperate. : )

Andrew

--
KJ-52 - unicycler

Originally posted by Logan_A.
Note this e-mail is baKsed oJn -a sto5ry a2nd mIay bSe fictKional oEr
conWtain fictiLonal elements. This should also not have been read by any
younger riders.

Can you find the hidden message?

KJ-52's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5614

[...]

Jester2000
August 20th 04, 04:34 AM
I assure you, he did a 15 minute stillstand. I experienced it
firsthand. Not only that, he had a controlled dismount when 15 minutes
was annouced. I bet he could of gone longer if he wanted.

As for the slow race, and muni events, I'm not sure how "Jing" did.

You can check the official pdf results on the IUF website.

Later,

Jess

--
Jester2000 - Pink is the new Black

'[image:
http://jester2000.unicyclist.com/~jester2000/images/jester_trans_green.gif]'
(http://www.unicyclejester.com) '[image:
http://jester2000.unicyclist.com/~jester2000/images/sig_picture.jpg]'
(http://www.unicyclejester.com)
Unicon was super awesome!
Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

August 20th 04, 05:57 AM
thats absolutely mental

--
[...]

GILD
August 20th 04, 10:40 AM
TheBadger587 wrote:
> *[stillstood for a record 15 minutes. is this story truthful? *
must be
i saw a photo of it
impressive skill

;)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

GILD
August 20th 04, 10:40 AM

TheBadger587 wrote:
> *[stillstood for a record 15 minutes. is this story truthful? *
must be
i saw a photo of it
impressive skill

;)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

johnfoss
August 20th 04, 05:30 PM
Yup, those stillstand photos.

Tell you this, a stillstand photo is a lot less boring than a
*stillstand video!* :D

I have some of that, but not the whole thing. The 15 minutes was
absolutely for real, with a big crowd of witnesses. If the guys had been
parked on 3" diameter pieces of wood, they would have stayed on them
just fine.

But the article had some bad numbers in it:

- Unicon did not have 3000 participants (about 1400)

- Almacera did his slow race in 51.43, not 51:43 (a big difference). As
is often the case, the slow race judges were trained in the am, then
judged the world's best slow racers. In other words, wildly inconsistent
judging. But this is not uncommon, and it's clear Richam and Alrich were
both very good at this type of balancing!

- The description of the "Stillstand event" including supposed rules of
mounting, was fairly bogus. But there's no telling what the Almaceras
thought of things, as this was their first unicycle convention.

I liked this quote from the article: "Since their return from
international victory, Almacera and other members of the Philippine team
have yet to get any contratulatory note from anyone." -- Anyone else
have a similar experience? :(

In spite of some crooked facts, a nice article about the return of the
Fhilipino team from Unicon, and a little background about the Almacera
brothers! Some reporters are very careful with their details and
numbers, while others are, shall I say, very hurried. :)

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

[...]

pete66
August 20th 04, 06:00 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> *Tell you this, a stillstand photo is a lot less boring than a
> *stillstand video!*
>
> I have some of that, but not the whole thing. *
Hi John, is there any albums or any place that we can download
stillstand videoes from?

Just so I know exactly what I'm aiming for the next time I wobble past
my current 00:14.30 personal best, is 15:00.00 the Official World Record
for stillstands?

cheers
Pete

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

pete66
August 20th 04, 06:00 PM

johnfoss wrote:
> *Tell you this, a stillstand photo is a lot less boring than a
> *stillstand video!*
>
> I have some of that, but not the whole thing. *
Hi John, is there any albums or any place that we can download
stillstand videoes from?

Just so I know exactly what I'm aiming for the next time I wobble past
my current 00:14.30 personal best, is 15:00.00 the Official World Record
for stillstands?

cheers
Pete

--