PDA

View Full Version : switch fakie what?

streetrider
August 20th 04, 04:42 AM
I know riding backwards is fakie and i think when you jump with the foot
opposite of what you normally jump with foward should be switch but
when for example you normally grind on the right side what would it be
called to grind on the left side

--
streetrider - Barron

fazooles
garbonzos
&
General Dibbles
streetrider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7166

Robbie
August 20th 04, 09:09 AM
chocolate side grind
and
poorly made chocolate with excess cocoa side grind

to be honest I have no idea.

--
Robbie - Street Unicyclist

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/greeny23-900/dr_z.gif]
Greeny23
Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

[...]

one wheeled stallion
August 20th 04, 10:14 AM
Please call riding backwards riding backwards! Not fakie! I hate fakie!
I think having our own terminolgy would be so much better than using
terms from other sports.

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...I explain briefly to him that such conduct leaves him vulnerable to
accusations of being an idiot. We part as enemies" - Mikefule

one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

[...]

James_Potter
August 20th 04, 01:57 PM
Backwards = backwards

Grinding on your other side = switch

--
James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

James_Potter
August 20th 04, 01:57 PM
Backwards = backwards

Grinding on your other side = switch

--
James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

James_Potter
August 20th 04, 01:57 PM
Backwards = backwards

Grinding on your other side = switch

--
James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

James_Potter
August 20th 04, 01:57 PM
Backwards = backwards

Grinding on your other side = switch

--
James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

unifreak7
August 20th 04, 02:07 PM
Hey. I call oppisite foot hoping, goofy, and backwards, backwards. But
some new ones out there they we made up are the foward rolling hop
(hornet) because of the way your body bends to the wheel as if having a
stinger on your tailbone region. And the seat out side hop (cheetah),
being when you compress to the wheel you look like a running cheetah.
Kinda. Others are in a glide. We rate it as if it were meat. If your
foot is on the tire hard, it's well, in the middle, midium, and nearly
coasting, rare. Your comfortable speed is a tenderloin. sp? 180 unispin
from seat in to seat out (spinout), 180 unispin seat out to in
(Spinin).
Crank grab to rubber, Crank up, Pedal grab to rubber, Pedal up. go
figure, ha. um, i think that's it. Laters
-Shaun

--
unifreak7 - Freestyle Freak

!!Hazard!!
unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

[...]

August 20th 04, 06:23 PM
> Grinding on your other side = switch

If what onetrack said was set in stone this would lead to confusion as
to whether the foot orientation was switch or not. It is quite difficult
as the dominant foot isn't always forward. I think goofy and regular
could replace switch in the sense of foot orientation, switch as to
which side your grinding on etc etc.

I have to say I'm not keen on the animal names... Someone did refer to a
rolling hop as a pike, which I think is quite apt. Although I suppose
that only really applies to the last part of the hop.

--
> [...]

one wheeled stallion
August 20th 04, 06:23 PM
> Grinding on your other side = switch

If what onetrack said was set in stone this would lead to confusion as
to whether the foot orientation was switch or not. It is quite difficult
as the dominant foot isn't always forward. I think goofy and regular
could replace switch in the sense of foot orientation, switch as to
which side your grinding on etc etc.

I have to say I'm not keen on the animal names... Someone did refer to a
rolling hop as a pike, which I think is quite apt. Although I suppose
that only really applies to the last part of the hop.

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...I explain briefly to him that such conduct leaves him vulnerable to
accusations of being an idiot. We part as enemies" - Mikefule

Sofa
August 20th 04, 06:55 PM
i like not having to name every single alteration to the same damn
trick, who cares what foot it's with

I almost hurt my ankle during a switch fakie upd the other day

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

Happy Life Day

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
Ontario, Canada)

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

[...]

tugboat
August 20th 04, 10:52 PM
you cant call grinding on your oposite foot switch, it wont follow the
set terminology for most (if not all) extreme sports of this type.
switch is when your foot orientation is reversed (ie, i am usually right
foot forward, but when switch, i am left foot forward). simply call a
grind a grind, and if its with your opposite foot, call it a back fot
grind, or a front foot grind. as for fakie, call it what you want.
everyone knows what fakie is in extreme sports, but everyone would know
what backwards is too. now what are you going to do when youre hopping
while riding backwards and with your feet in a switch position? bet you
didnt think of that...

im not all for the animal names either lol. oh well. we havent been
around long enough to have names for tricks really, except like
shifties, unispins etc.

see ya, Kevin

--
tugboat - street unicyclist

"You won't get hurt if you land it!"
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

[...]

onetrack
August 21st 04, 01:36 AM

--
onetrack - street terrorist
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

onetrack
August 21st 04, 01:36 AM

--

--

--
onetrack - street terrorist
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Mark Fowler
August 21st 04, 05:36 PM
"Sofa" > wrote in message
ist.com...

> i like not having to name every single alteration to the same damn
> trick, who cares what foot it's with
>
> I almost hurt my ankle during a switch fakie upd the other day

Surely the fact whether you have the left or right foot forward doesnt
constitute the same difference that doing a trick opposite or switch would.
If you are switch on a board then the whole orientation of your body has
changed, hence how impressive someone like Bob Burnquist is. Opposite
requires you to be going in the (wait for it..) opposite way you normally
would ie 360 or air to the left, opposite would be to the right.
A grind surely is just a grind, irrelevant of which side you do it on.
Im a newbie to uni so I might be wrong on all this, but thats my 2p on it.
Mark

Mark Fowler
August 21st 04, 05:36 PM
"Sofa" > wrote in message
ist.com...

> i like not having to name every single alteration to the same damn
> trick, who cares what foot it's with
>
> I almost hurt my ankle during a switch fakie upd the other day

Surely the fact whether you have the left or right foot forward doesnt
constitute the same difference that doing a trick opposite or switch would.
If you are switch on a board then the whole orientation of your body has
changed, hence how impressive someone like Bob Burnquist is. Opposite
requires you to be going in the (wait for it..) opposite way you normally
would ie 360 or air to the left, opposite would be to the right.
A grind surely is just a grind, irrelevant of which side you do it on.
Im a newbie to uni so I might be wrong on all this, but thats my 2p on it.
Mark

Mark Fowler
August 21st 04, 05:36 PM
"Sofa" > wrote in message
ist.com...

> i like not having to name every single alteration to the same damn
> trick, who cares what foot it's with
>
> I almost hurt my ankle during a switch fakie upd the other day

Surely the fact whether you have the left or right foot forward doesnt
constitute the same difference that doing a trick opposite or switch would.
If you are switch on a board then the whole orientation of your body has
changed, hence how impressive someone like Bob Burnquist is. Opposite
requires you to be going in the (wait for it..) opposite way you normally
would ie 360 or air to the left, opposite would be to the right.
A grind surely is just a grind, irrelevant of which side you do it on.
Im a newbie to uni so I might be wrong on all this, but thats my 2p on it.
Mark

Mark Fowler
August 21st 04, 05:36 PM
"Sofa" > wrote in message
ist.com...

> i like not having to name every single alteration to the same damn
> trick, who cares what foot it's with
>
> I almost hurt my ankle during a switch fakie upd the other day

Surely the fact whether you have the left or right foot forward doesnt
constitute the same difference that doing a trick opposite or switch would.
If you are switch on a board then the whole orientation of your body has
changed, hence how impressive someone like Bob Burnquist is. Opposite
requires you to be going in the (wait for it..) opposite way you normally
would ie 360 or air to the left, opposite would be to the right.
A grind surely is just a grind, irrelevant of which side you do it on.
Im a newbie to uni so I might be wrong on all this, but thats my 2p on it.
Mark

one wheeled stallion
August 21st 04, 05:45 PM
If you have a specific foot orientation and the reverse of this is
called switch (what I believe you said on the original post), then
refering to a grind on the opposite side of which you normally grind as
'switch' as well would lead to confusion.

I think Sofa has the right idea, who really cares? When I watch
Tugboat's vids, I really don't care which foot he's doing what with,
it's just great to watch.

--
[...]

August 21st 04, 07:05 PM
> When I watch Tugboat's vids, I really don't care which foot he's doing
> what with, it's just great to watch

well thank you for the compliment haha. but if youve ever watched a
skateboarding video with someone who doesnt understand skateboarding,
every trick looks the same to them. thats the beauty of it. its the
unicyclists who understand it. no one in the world would care if my
other foot was forward, but i can guarentee that unicyclists understand
how muhc harder it is. lets say you watch me grind a 10 set handrail
with my right foot forward and i grind on my right foot. and right
after, i grind a 5 set handrail with my left foot forward and on my left
foot (switch front foot grind). you would understand that grinding a 5
set rail with your other foot forward is a lot harder. but any non
unicyclist would be like "why did they put that huge rail before the
small one?" You see, right now, its fun to just watch the stuff like a
non unicyclist. but once we start getting more technical with backwards
and switch riding, then it will be even more fun to realize the
complexity of a trick that you dont originally notice. i dont know if
you understand really, but it makes sense to me. anyways, whether or not
people think switch is cool, im gonna keep working on it.

peace, Kevin

--
> [...]

how muhc harder it is. lets say you watch me grind a 10 set handrail
with my right foot forward and i grind on my right foot. and right
after, i grind a 5 set handrail with my left foot forward and on my left
foot (switch front foot grind). you would understand that grinding a 5
set rail with your other foot forward is a lot harder. but any non
unicyclist would be like "why did they put that huge rail before the
small one?" You see, right now, its fun to just watch the stuff like a
non unicyclist. but once we start getting more technical with backwards
and switch riding, then it will be even more fun to realize the
complexity of a trick that you dont originally notice. i dont know if
you understand really, but it makes sense to me. anyways, whether or not
people think switch is cool, im gonna keep working on it.

uniextreme
August 21st 04, 07:20 PM
You can hit 5 stair handrails switch?:eek:

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuw09 ( A few street clips were just
added)

Scars are tatoos with better stories

"Unicycling looks hard then when you try to ride it its harder than it
looks" canadian after trying to ride my uni.
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

[...]

August 21st 04, 07:23 PM
haha deifnitely not. i was just using an example. soon though... soon

--
[...]

August 21st 04, 08:55 PM
I get the whole switch thing, but I think it is more important to the
rider himself to know he can pull off switch moves. As a viewer I'm
impressed, but it's still the 10 set that catches my eye if you know
what I mean?!

--

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home