PDA

View Full Version : Re: I'm a hopeless one.

zambonijones
August 20th 04, 08:14 PM
I've recently been very interested in unicycling, but I don't even know
how to ride a bike yet. (I'm 16 years old.)

I never learned because of the geography of our street. I live on a
hill, and at the bottom of the hill is a sharp curve. The curve goes
directly over a bridge, for which there are no railings or walls. The
bridge goes over a drop, which ends in a shallow, rocky river.

This is not a good place to learn how to ride a bike.

Of course, no one knows how to help a person learn how to ride a bike
this late in life. I would go directly into learning unicycling if I
didn't think it would be the cause of my imminent doom. I've never been
a fan of bikes, but I know that they are the necissary middle step
between standing on two feet and balancing on one wheel. =)

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd really love to start unicycling
ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

~Chedd

--
zambonijones
zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580

[...]

daino149
August 20th 04, 08:18 PM
Although I do think that riding a bike is a helpful step, I would like
to see if you can skip that step and start unicycling. I think it's one
of those things that "you never know until you try".

My advice for you is to get a unicycle (something cheap) and spend a few
hours learning to ride it.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
Kaena
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

[...]

johnfoss
August 20th 04, 08:18 PM
If John Drummond (of Unicycle.com) had thought the same about his house,
his three boys would also never have learned to ride bikes. They have a
real steep driveway that comes out onto a busy road which I think has no
sidewalk. In any case, you have to go to a different area to ride
around.

Though it would be real fun to learn to unicycle without ever doing a
bike, it will probably be harder. If you want to cheat then, borrow a
bike from someone, go to an empty parking lot and play around with it.
You should be riding it around within a half hour or so. Then pretend
you've been riding it for 10 years, and advance to the unicycle. There
isn't that much to learn in basic bike riding on flat ground.

Good luck!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

[...]

August 20th 04, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'd love to try to just start on an
unicycle, but I figure I'd need some assistance, and I don't know anyone
who'd think it was a good idea, let alone help me out.

I'm sure my mom would blow a gasket. ((She has bought be maybe 4, 5
bikes in my life, and I haven't ever touched one of them. She'd
probably be livid if I told her that I want to unicycle.)) I might have
to keep it like some crazy conspiracy from her.

I need an Underground Railroad for newbie uni-riders.

~Chedd

--
[...]

bugman
August 20th 04, 08:50 PM
zambonijones wrote:
> *Thanks for the advice, guys. I'd love to try to just start on an
> unicycle, but I figure I'd need some assistance, and I don't know
> anyone who'd think it was a good idea, let alone help me out.
>
> I'm sure my mom would blow a gasket. ((She has bought be maybe 4, 5
> bikes in my life, and I haven't ever touched one of them. She'd
> probably be livid if I told her that I want to unicycle.)) I might
> have to keep it like some crazy conspiracy from her.
>
> I need an Underground Railroad for newbie uni-riders.
>
> ~Chedd *

Sell the 4-5 bikes and buy 1 uni. I am certain that you can learn to
ride w/o ever having ridden a bike. As a matter of fact, I know that
Keith (Chirokid) taught his youngest to ride a uni before a bike. I
learned to ride a Uni before I found this forum. This forum did help me
learn to freemount and just about everything else.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
Ayn Rand

bugman
August 20th 04, 08:50 PM

zambonijones wrote:
> *Thanks for the advice, guys. I'd love to try to just start on an
> unicycle, but I figure I'd need some assistance, and I don't know
> anyone who'd think it was a good idea, let alone help me out.
>
> I'm sure my mom would blow a gasket. ((She has bought be maybe 4, 5
> bikes in my life, and I haven't ever touched one of them. She'd
> probably be livid if I told her that I want to unicycle.)) I might
> have to keep it like some crazy conspiracy from her.
>
> I need an Underground Railroad for newbie uni-riders.
>
> ~Chedd *

Sell the 4-5 bikes and buy 1 uni. I am certain that you can learn to
ride w/o ever having ridden a bike. As a matter of fact, I know that
Keith (Chirokid) taught his youngest to ride a uni before a bike. I
learned to ride a Uni before I found this forum. This forum did help me
learn to freemount and just about everything else.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
Ayn Rand

andrew_carter
August 20th 04, 09:58 PM
I think it's definately worth trying to learn to ride a unicycle before
a bike. It would be great to be able to say you did that.

When you do get onto unicycling, you might like to check out
www.unicycle.2ya.com for some written tips, photos, and video tutorials
on riding. There's a Word document in that site that Klaas Bil and I
wrote that goes into quite some depth on the basics on unicycling.
Maybe that would help.

Good luck!

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

[...]

PopeSamXVI
August 20th 04, 10:07 PM
daino149 wrote:
> *
> My advice for you is to get a unicycle (something cheap)
> Daniel *

But not too cheap, then you're just asking to pay a bunch more money in
maintenace.

Daddy, I got cider in my ear.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

PopeSamXVI
August 20th 04, 10:07 PM

daino149 wrote:
> *
> My advice for you is to get a unicycle (something cheap)
> Daniel *

But not too cheap, then you're just asking to pay a bunch more money in
maintenace.

Daddy, I got cider in my ear.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

jsm
August 20th 04, 11:42 PM
Don't worry about never having ridden a bicycle. It might make
unicycling a little harder, but with a little practice, it is possible
to learn almost anything. In "The Unicycle Book" the author, Jack Wiley,
tells of a man in his mid sixties who learned to unicycle even though he
had never ridden a bike.

--
jsm - unicyclist, violinist, and juggler

"You did that hill easier than I could on a bicycle"- Some lady while
passing me after an insignificant slope which I hardly noticed.
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

[...]

Mikefule
August 21st 04, 12:06 AM
If you have been bought all those bicycles and can't ride them it's
because you don't want to. All that stuff about geography is nonsense.
Get off your backside and learn to ride.

There is a clear and definite methid for an adult to learnt o eride a
bicycle. I've used it to teach people.

You will need a 15 mm open ended spanner.

You will also need to right size spanner to undo the seat clamp so that
you can lower the seat to its lowest setting.

Right.

Lower the seat to its lowest setting.

Use the 15 mm spanner to remove the pedals. the left hand pedal has a
(conventional) left hand thread. The right hand pedal has a right hand
thread.

Now, hold the handlebars, and, placing yourself on the left hand side of
the bike, walk, pushing the bike. Learn to steer, and get familiar with
the action of the brakes. Just push the bike for a few minutes.

Now, sit astride the bike. You have lowered the saddle so you should be
able to put your feet falt on the ground.

Practise moving the bike forward by pushing against the ground with your
feet. Don't try to go fast. Just get the bicyle to move. Steer it.
Stop it gently with the brakes. As you gain in confidence, you will
experiment with "gliding" for shor distances between pushes. You will
develop a feel for how the bicycle remains stable wen moving.

Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws on
the "wrong" way.

Put the left pedal at the bottom of its travel. Stand on the left of
the bike and put your left foot on the left pedal. This means stepping
across yourself. Now, scoot the bike by pushing on the ground with your
right foot, supporting your weight with your left foot on the left
pedal.

Now, raise the seat slightly.

Sit astride the bike. Go back to the exercise where you pushed the bike
with your feet, and glided for a bit. During the glides, lift your feet
and place them on the pedals. When you feel confident, start pedalling.
(Keep the bicycle in a fairly low gear.)

Now just practise.

This system sounds long winded, but it works. A friend of mine was
forbidden to have a bicycle when he was a kid because a cousing died in
a road accident. He is not big on coordingation adn athleticism. He
learned to ride a bicycle in about an hour.

Kids learn more intuitively. Adults have to do it in logical stages and
feel in control. The very basic nature of these exercises will
frustrate you into moving onto the next one, and therefore learning.

Good luck, and no more excuses.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

[...]

toddw9
August 21st 04, 04:17 AM
Mikefule wrote:
> * the left hand pedal has a (conventional) left hand thread. The
> right hand pedal has a right hand thread.
> Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws
> on the "wrong" way.
> *

It's the other way around in North America. The right hand thread on
the right hand pedal is "conventional". The left hand thread on the
left hand pedal is the "wrong" way.

--
toddw9 - Doh!!!

Fat people are hard to kidnap.
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

toddw9
August 21st 04, 04:17 AM

Mikefule wrote:
> * the left hand pedal has a (conventional) left hand thread. The
> right hand pedal has a right hand thread.
> Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws
> on the "wrong" way.
> *

It's the other way around in North America. The right hand thread on
the right hand pedal is "conventional". The left hand thread on the
left hand pedal is the "wrong" way.

--
toddw9 - Doh!!!

Fat people are hard to kidnap.
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

gasmaster
August 21st 04, 06:24 AM
zambonijones wrote:
> * I might have to keep it like some crazy conspiracy from her.
> ~Chedd *

:p lol! wouldn't that be hilarious to not let your mom know about it
until you've learned how to ride?

--
gasmaster - level 4 unicyclist

Real men only need 1 wheel.
gasmaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6713

gasmaster
August 21st 04, 06:24 AM

zambonijones wrote:
> * I might have to keep it like some crazy conspiracy from her.
> ~Chedd *

:p lol! wouldn't that be hilarious to not let your mom know about it
until you've learned how to ride?

--
gasmaster - level 4 unicyclist

Real men only need 1 wheel.
gasmaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6713

Klaas Bil
August 21st 04, 07:06 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:17:23 -0500, "toddw9" wrote:

>Mikefule wrote:
>> * the left hand pedal has a (conventional) left hand thread. The
>> right hand pedal has a right hand thread.
>> Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws
>> on the "wrong" way.

>It's the other way around in North America. The right hand thread on
>the right hand pedal is "conventional". The left hand thread on the
>left hand pedal is the "wrong" way.

It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
from (with? by? in?) Mikefule. Otherwise his advice on how to learn
riding a bike sounded very workable.

(Not sure if this was posted already, my system had a hickup.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 21st 04, 07:06 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:17:23 -0500, "toddw9" wrote:

>Mikefule wrote:
>> * the left hand pedal has a (conventional) left hand thread. The
>> right hand pedal has a right hand thread.
>> Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws
>> on the "wrong" way.

>It's the other way around in North America. The right hand thread on
>the right hand pedal is "conventional". The left hand thread on the
>left hand pedal is the "wrong" way.

It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
from (with? by? in?) Mikefule. Otherwise his advice on how to learn
riding a bike sounded very workable.

(Not sure if this was posted already, my system had a hickup.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 21st 04, 07:06 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:17:23 -0500, "toddw9" wrote:

>Mikefule wrote:
>> * the left hand pedal has a (conventional) left hand thread. The
>> right hand pedal has a right hand thread.
>> Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws
>> on the "wrong" way.

>It's the other way around in North America. The right hand thread on
>the right hand pedal is "conventional". The left hand thread on the
>left hand pedal is the "wrong" way.

It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
from (with? by? in?) Mikefule. Otherwise his advice on how to learn
riding a bike sounded very workable.

(Not sure if this was posted already, my system had a hickup.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 21st 04, 07:06 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:17:23 -0500, "toddw9" wrote:

>Mikefule wrote:
>> * the left hand pedal has a (conventional) left hand thread. The
>> right hand pedal has a right hand thread.
>> Now, get off. replace the pedals. (Rememebr, the right pedal screws
>> on the "wrong" way.

>It's the other way around in North America. The right hand thread on
>the right hand pedal is "conventional". The left hand thread on the
>left hand pedal is the "wrong" way.

It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
from (with? by? in?) Mikefule. Otherwise his advice on how to learn
riding a bike sounded very workable.

(Not sure if this was posted already, my system had a hickup.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Mikefule
August 21st 04, 09:12 AM
Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
> from (with? by? in?) Mikefule.
> *

Oops. Brain storm.:o :o

--

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
> from (with? by? in?) Mikefule.
> *

Oops. Brain storm.:o :o

--

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
> from (with? by? in?) Mikefule.
> *

Oops. Brain storm.:o :o

--

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> It's also the other way around in the UK, must have been a blackout
> from (with? by? in?) Mikefule.
> *

Oops. Brain storm.:o :o

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

Naomi
August 21st 04, 09:36 AM
"zambonijones" . com> wrote
in message
.Unicyclist.com...

> I've recently been very interested in unicycling, but I don't even know
> how to ride a bike yet. (I'm 16 years old.)
>
> I never learned because of the geography of our street. I live on a
> hill, and at the bottom of the hill is a sharp curve. The curve goes
> directly over a bridge, for which there are no railings or walls. The
> bridge goes over a drop, which ends in a shallow, rocky river.
>
> This is not a good place to learn how to ride a bike.

For a 16 year old you seem very timid, and maybe even unimaginative. You
appear to have given up before even starting, and God only knows why your
mum keeps feeding you bikes that you won't use. If your geography is all
wrong, push the bike to a place where the ground is more level. Then learn.
Its easy, no need for any complex lessons just get on and give it a go. I
rode one, in a straight line, the first time I tried it. The only thing
to remember is that the bike does have brakes: so use them, and that you
will have to lean sideways in order to turn.
The 16 year olds that live round here would be pulling wheelies on their
bikes down the hill ( probably dodging the traffic as they did so).

If you, as a teenager, cannot find a way to deal with your geography and
ride a bike , then I have no idea how you are going to get the drive and
determination required to learn ride a unicycle. It is worth spending 20
or 30 minutes mastering a conventional cycle first before climbing on a
looneycycle. You need that iota of confidence, to give you some idea of the
mechanics of motion.

Hopeless...yup, but you needn't be.

Naomi ( in stroppy mode 'cos I just don't believe all this)

Naomi
August 21st 04, 09:36 AM
"zambonijones" . com> wrote
in message
.Unicyclist.com...

> [...]

rode one, in a straight line, the first time I tried it. The only thing
to remember is that the bike does have brakes: so use them, and that you
will have to lean sideways in order to turn.
The 16 year olds that live round here would be pulling wheelies on their
bikes down the hill ( probably dodging the traffic as they did so).

If you, as a teenager, cannot find a way to deal with your geography and
ride a bike , then I have no idea how you are going to get the drive and
determination required to learn ride a unicycle. It is worth spending 20
or 30 minutes mastering a conventional cycle first before climbing on a
looneycycle. You need that iota of confidence, to give you some idea of the
mechanics of motion.

Hopeless...yup, but you needn't be.

Naomi ( in stroppy mode 'cos I just don't believe all this)

August 21st 04, 08:20 PM
Allow me to clarify a little: the reason that I was unable to ride a
bike before was not only geography, but also transportation. Being that
young, the only person around to drive me to a flat surface to ride was
my dad, who was most unhelpful.

I still don't have my permit yet, but I've given up looking for the
'easy' spots.

I've called up one of my friends to help aid me in using a bicycle.
She'll come over Monday, and we'll spend the day watching me fall and
skin my knees. I'm sure I won't be able to do it on the first
day--everyone here seems to have had easy learning experiences but, yes,
in physical activities, I am as timid as they come. I'll probably
sabotage myself by going too slowly, anyway. But I am going to try,
which is more than I have ever been able to say for myself before.

[I am afraid of most things with wheels, especially cars. My mother
finally forced me into driving around a parking lot a few weeks ago. It
turns out that I wasn't that bad, but I still had a panic attack.]

However, there is something different with unicycles. I should probably
be petrified of them, but I am not at all. It's just that my balance
was always terrible (I am not sure if that is because I never learned
how to ride a bike, or, the reason that I never learned how to ride a
bike).

Anyway, the above suggested method for learnging to bicycle would be
great, if I had someone with me who knew how to dismantle and repair a
bike! Unfortunately, all I have to work with is my mother's (fairly
nice) bike, in the grass behind my house. She's already warned me that
I will fail at this. I'm afraid to even mention unicycling to her!

Oh well. Thank you so much for all of your advice. I wish I had the
opportunity to try to master the unicycle before getting the hang of a
bike, but it seems like that will end badly. Be damned, the
straightforward path.

I'll keep you all updated...

PS--Does anyone have any tips for improving balance without large bulky
machines (balance beams, tightropes, bikes...)? Something appropriate
for inside the house that I could work at in my spare time? A friend
suggested laying a plank over a cylendar and balancing on that, but I
don't know if that uses any of the same necissary muscles for riding.

Thanks again,

~Chedd

--
[...]

darchibald
August 21st 04, 11:12 PM
I taught my fourteen year old cousin how to ride a bike in 5 minutes
last week and she is as stubborn as a bag of hammers. Just go for it.
Try kicking off the ground first before you start to pedal. It's easier
to balance with more speed.

David

--
darchibald - Unofficial level 4.6

"Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
suicide mount.
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

[...]

August 21st 04, 11:52 PM
If you want to try to improve your general balancing ability, try
learning to balance objects on your hand or face. It is really not that
hard to learn, especially if you start with something long and heavy,
such as a broom or cue stick. Just set the object on your hand, upright,
let go of it with your other hand, and move your hand back and forth and
from side to side as necessary to keep the object balanced. Keep your
eyes focused on the top. You could also try balancing the object on your
chin, nose, or forehead. Although it is harder at first, it is easier in
the long run. I think the balancing abilities you would learn this way
would probably transfer to unicycling at least a little bit. Its fun in
any case.

Jonathan

By the way, I can understand your fear of cars. Anything with that many
wheels is way to complicated.

--

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home