PDA

View Full Version : We cannot all be perfect

zambonijones
August 22nd 04, 03:45 AM
In reading a lot of the posts on this messageboard, it would seem as
though unicycling came to you naturally--that your learning time was
extremely short. I have to wonder, do I get this impression because
most people really DO learn it easily, or because most people to whom it
is difficult and unmanageable give up, never to return?

In any case, if there are any here who had a rotten time of learning, or
who feel like their reasonable learning time is vastly longer than the
general consensus, post here. We can't all be perfect. ((In fact, I
tend to give more credit to the people who had an awful time learning,
and stuck to it.))

Fire away.

~Chedd

--
zambonijones
zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580

The_SkunkMan
August 22nd 04, 03:54 AM
I didn't beleive people could learn that fast either. When i found out i
thought I learned slowly. It took me about a month to learn completely
on my own when i was 6.

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

[...]

bugman
August 22nd 04, 04:10 AM
There is actually a thread somewhere with many submisions of learning
time. The range is pretty significant.

I know I took more than many here. I think it was over 10 hours. Of
course that was almost 1 1/2 ago, so it may have been more or less. I
have not put in the time it takes to learn new skill in a while, so
although my riding is better, my skill level isn't that much higher.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
Ayn Rand

[...]

Fuego
August 22nd 04, 04:17 AM
It took me about a month, although i was in my basement, and practicing
was kinda cramped.

It took my two converts about two weeks apeice to learn, at 1 or 2 hours
a day.

--
Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!

http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=8w6n8r7c
Click if you want to join in a web game as my officer.
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

[...]

August 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

--
[...]

leo
August 22nd 04, 04:31 AM
It took me about 20 hours before I could ride 10 meters.
I think the longer it takes someone to learn, the more happy s/he is
once the goal is archieved.
Of all the miraculous fast learners I have seen nobody learning any
further than just riding forward.

--
leo - errorist

Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
866-UNI-CYCL
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) (about me)
'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) (for all unicyclists and
alike)

Dutch radio reporter Jaques Chapel in Athens, checking an ISDN line
before an Olympic radio broadcast while getting used to security
measures: "and suddenly I have a soldier pointing a machine gun in my
back. So, I talk English, he shouts Greek. So what do you do? Just
ignore him and finish the job".
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

[...]

asupercoolguy
August 22nd 04, 04:34 AM
I know exactly
what you mean zambonijones (*ctrl-c -> ctrl-v*).
It took me a good while to learn to ride. A month (at least).
You don't have to be a quick learner to ride. You just have to be
completely determined and able to set your mind on doing things.

--
asupercoolguy - Oh, cool! You can change this thing

Unicycles are cool.
asupercoolguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4169

[...]

pete66
August 22nd 04, 04:55 AM
This is bound to make you feel better; I have witnesses who can confirm
that one of the Wellington bike trials guys "learned" on his first
try... ever. On his very first try, he pedalled away, riding parallel
with a row of posts and then after passing a couple of posts he made a
purposeful turn right, between a couple of posts and then UPDed a few
pedals later.

I think it was his 3rd attempt that he decided he wanted to try
backwards and went for about 5 full revs... next on the list was hopping
and he tried for a 40cm up onto a square log, made the height but
dismounted before regaining balance. He finished off his "night of
learning" with a 1 metre drop.

As for me, it took me a week and I was about 11yrs old and learning by
myself. I can't remember how many hours that would have been, I do
remember that I came back home knackered and sweating like a monkey
after each practice session.

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

[...]

gasmaster
August 22nd 04, 06:11 AM
yeah, it took me about 20-21 hours to learn, too.

--
gasmaster - level 4 unicyclist

Real men only need 1 wheel.
gasmaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6713

[...]

August 22nd 04, 06:35 AM
pete66 wrote:
> one of the Wellington bike trials... etc

Same here. I once helped a BMX flatlander. Once he sat in the seat I
supported him, but each step I made he start to stop using my support
more and more. After about 7 steps I just let him go. He rode over 10
meters all by himself. He never tried a unicycle before! But again, if
you learn this fast... than I am afraid unicycling is no fun anymore I
think.

I've mastered all of my 'skills'
(http://unicyclist.org/cont/standard.cfm) within 7 days except coasting
(8 days) and side-ride (10 days). But by then I used my brain more than
nowedays. All skills (except coasting) depend on controlling speed and
stearing. And no matter how you control speed or stearing...: if you
fall 3x to a certain side (L or R and/or F or B) think about how to
change speed/steering such that you will stay on the unicycle!

As I often say:
The more you think, the less you have to do.
Unless all you do is thinking, than you don't do anything anymore.

And... if progress goes slow you can return home happy more often!

--

pete66 wrote:
> one of the Wellington bike trials... etc

Same here. I once helped a BMX flatlander. Once he sat in the seat I
supported him, but each step I made he start to stop using my support
more and more. After about 7 steps I just let him go. He rode over 10
meters all by himself. He never tried a unicycle before! But again, if
you learn this fast... than I am afraid unicycling is no fun anymore I
think.

I've mastered all of my 'skills'
(http://unicyclist.org/cont/standard.cfm) within 7 days except coasting
(8 days) and side-ride (10 days). But by then I used my brain more than
nowedays. All skills (except coasting) depend on controlling speed and
stearing. And no matter how you control speed or stearing...: if you
fall 3x to a certain side (L or R and/or F or B) think about how to
change speed/steering such that you will stay on the unicycle!

As I often say:
The more you think, the less you have to do.
Unless all you do is thinking, than you don't do anything anymore.

And... if progress goes slow you can return home happy more often!

--
leo - errorist

Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
866-UNI-CYCL
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) (about me)
'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) (for all unicyclists and
alike)

Dutch radio reporter Jaques Chapel in Athens, checking an ISDN line
before an Olympic radio broadcast while getting used to security
measures: "and suddenly I have a soldier pointing a machine gun in my
back. So, I talk English, he shouts Greek. So what do you do? Just
ignore him and finish the job".
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

James_Potter
August 22nd 04, 06:43 AM
It's not the learning time of the person that matters, it's the person
that matters. Some people don't give up, ever, no matter what, and those
are the people who learn to ride a unicycle.

--
James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

[...]

Klaas Bil
August 22nd 04, 07:35 AM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:29:01 -0500, "bugman" wrote:

>I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
>(http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

That thread was started by me. The results have been posted on my
website <http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 22nd 04, 07:35 AM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:29:01 -0500, "bugman" wrote:

>I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
>(http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

That thread was started by me. The results have been posted on my
website <http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 22nd 04, 07:35 AM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:29:01 -0500, "bugman" wrote:

>I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
>(http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

That thread was started by me. The results have been posted on my
website <http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Klaas Bil
August 22nd 04, 07:35 AM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:29:01 -0500, "bugman" wrote:

>I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
>(http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

That thread was started by me. The results have been posted on my
website <http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

reject_monkey
August 22nd 04, 11:02 AM
it took me like 4 months, lol

--