PDA

View Full Version : Another fun Coker ride

nathan
August 23rd 04, 07:34 AM
Work has been really busy these days such that I only have Sundays for
riding this month. So Beau, Megumi and I met up with Mike Scalisi and
our normal riding buddies Scot and Dez for a fun ride along Skyline Blvd
near here. The ride was out-and-back, just under 15 miles each way with
just over 3000' of climbing total. That's lots of up. Since Beau had no
brake on his Coker and we both had 125mm cranks, I never touched my
brake (in sympathy). That made some of the steep downhills challenging.
Anyway, great day, great fun. Hope many of you got out this weekend and
had fun rides too.

A few photos up 'here.'
(http://community.webshots.com/album/178488949snqLFY)

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

aspenmike
August 23rd 04, 04:13 PM
How sweet it is that the whole family rides together! The ride looks
great, hills to test both up and down. You even had some four legged
creatures to check out. Thanks for the pics and report. I rode to and
from beach volleyball is all this weekend. Our beach volleyball season
is winding down, so playing allot these days.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

[...]

harper
August 23rd 04, 04:42 PM
Four of us did the short, 17 mile version of the Iron Horse Trail ride
yesterday. We may have taken a total of five photos the entire trip
because we have photographed that trail so much in the past. It
sprinkled briefly on us but we probably got wetter from falling
condensation in the tunnel than on the rest of the ride.

--
harper - Fountainhead

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

"Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

[...]

john_childs
August 24th 04, 09:04 AM
It's neat to see Megumi on the Coker. 30 miles and 3000 feet of
climbing makes for a healthy ride.

I also had a really fun Coker ride on Sunday. Well actually, I had a
really fun muni ride and then a really fun Coker ride.

Sunday morning I met up with Jagur and went for a muni ride in Falls
City, Oregon. The ride in Falls City is a fun one because the trails
all go downhill. I'm not sure how much climbing there is to get to the
top, but I think it's around 1000 feet give or take a few hundred. The
best part is that we finished the ride just as a healthy rain shower
started. Perfect timing!

Then I rushed over to Corvallis Oregon to climb Marys Peak. When I got
to Corvallis the rains were holding off so the climb was on. I did the
Marys Peak climb on the Coker with 170 mm cranks.

I tried the 170's just to see what it would be like to do a long climb
with long cranks. The long cranks worked well. At no point during the
climb did I feel like I was under-geared. At no point did I have to
stand on the pedals to keep going. With the 170's I could just sit and
pedal.

The crown of the road did present some problems. On the flats the road
crown doesn't bother me much. But on a climb the road crown was more
noticeable. It gets worse on right-hand turns where the road slopes
even more to the right. My left leg had to do a lot more work to keep
the uni going straight. I'd do a hard push with the left leg to
counteract the tendency of the uni to veer to the right due to the road
crown. It got to the point that I was very happy for every left-hand
turn where my right leg would do the work and my left leg could take a
rest.

I didn't take any pictures but I did keep some general stats:

Distance up: 9.4 miles
Distance up and down: 18.8 miles
Total elevation gain: 2800 feet
Ride time up: 1.5 hours 6.3 mph
Ride time down: 1 hour 9.4 mph

Average grade for the first 3.7 miles: 7.1% with a one mile stretch
with an 8.9% average grade

Average grade for the rest of the climb: 6.5% - 6.8%

I'm a little disappointed in the 1.5 hour time for the climb. I could
do the climb faster. I took it easy because my left leg was not very
happy and I wasn't sure how I'd be feeling at the end of the ride.

I did most of the descent without using the brake. I did break down and
use the brake for the last 1.5 miles because my knees were complaining
and the grade was getting steeper. The brake is a very nice thing.

Marys Peak is a fun climb. I'm going to have to do it again next time
I'm in Corvallis. Maybe I'll try it with shorter cranks next time just
to compare.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

[...]

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:04:23 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:

>The crown of the road did present some problems.

Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
laterally deform.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:04:23 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:

>The crown of the road did present some problems.

Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
laterally deform.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:04:23 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:

>The crown of the road did present some problems.

Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
laterally deform.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:04:23 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:

>The crown of the road did present some problems.

Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
laterally deform.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

john_childs
August 25th 04, 07:34 AM
Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
> try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
> is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
> laterally deform.
> *

I actually didn't bring a pump with me on that ride. The only tools I
brought with me were some allen keys. I only pack a bunch of tools for
long rides or for group rides. :)

I had the pressure in the low 40's (psi). I'll try a higher pressure
next time.

--

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
> try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
> is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
> laterally deform.
> *

I actually didn't bring a pump with me on that ride. The only tools I
brought with me were some allen keys. I only pack a bunch of tools for
long rides or for group rides. :)

I had the pressure in the low 40's (psi). I'll try a higher pressure
next time.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

jagur
August 25th 04, 08:28 AM
john_childs wrote:
> *
>

> I had the pressure in the low 40's (psi). I'll try a higher pressure
> next time. *
you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was
rock hard. i'd say 55 or 60 psi at least.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/tohopic.jpg]

jagur
August 25th 04, 08:28 AM

john_childs wrote:
> *
>

> I had the pressure in the low 40's (psi). I'll try a higher pressure
> next time. *
you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was
rock hard. i'd say 55 or 60 psi at least.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/tohopic.jpg]

tomblackwood
August 25th 04, 08:37 AM
I just took my tire pressure up from 40 to 50, and am definitely happier
at 50. Feels like I'm more in control, and less tendency for the coker
to "pull".

Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using? I
run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better for
flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more confident
spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more serious up and
down regimen.

Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated...

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

[...]

August 25th 04, 08:39 AM
jagur wrote:
> *...because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was rock hard. *

Unicycling's equivalent of Mr. Whipple? :p

Hah. Jagur, just kidding...not dissing. Even though I might still owe
you one for that comment about my creative dremel work on the Sun
doublewide.

--

jagur wrote:
> *...because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was rock hard. *

Unicycling's equivalent of Mr. Whipple? :p

Hah. Jagur, just kidding...not dissing. Even though I might still owe
you one for that comment about my creative dremel work on the Sun
doublewide.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

jagur
August 25th 04, 08:49 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *Even though I might still owe you one for that comment about my
> creative dremel work on the Sun doublewide. *
nope, that was justified. if you finished the job it would'nt have
caught so much attention.

taking the tyre off and using a wire wheel would be better i think
though.

--

tomblackwood wrote:
> *Even though I might still owe you one for that comment about my
> creative dremel work on the Sun doublewide. *
nope, that was justified. if you finished the job it would'nt have
caught so much attention.

taking the tyre off and using a wire wheel would be better i think
though.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/tohopic.jpg]

john_childs
August 25th 04, 09:37 AM
jagur wrote:
> *you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it
> was rock hard. i'd say 55 or 60 psi at least. *

Nope. I just measured the pressure and it was 42 psi. The Coker tire
is a thick heavy-duty tire. Squeezing it is deceptive.

--

jagur wrote:
> *you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it
> was rock hard. i'd say 55 or 60 psi at least. *

Nope. I just measured the pressure and it was 42 psi. The Coker tire
is a thick heavy-duty tire. Squeezing it is deceptive.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

john_childs
August 25th 04, 10:06 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using?
> I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better
> for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more
> confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more
> serious up and down regimen.
>
> Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated... *

My 170's are the Black Widow Euro's. They work fine for Coker use. I'm
not going to be bending a crank on a Coker road ride.

Mike has Kooka cranks. Very nice cranks, but not available any more.

Most any of the 170 mm cranks will work fine for road riding. The most
important factor is making sure that the cranks stay tight. Anything
other than the Lasco alloy cranks should work well.

Another option is to get tandem cranks. I used 170 mm Sugino tandem
cranks on my Pashley. You get a right crank from the captain's set (the
front rider) and then a matching left crank from a normal bike's set.
Any bike shop that can order from the QBP (Quality Bicycle Products)
catalog can get the Sugino tandem cranks and they'll sell them as a
broken set (one from the tandem set and one from the standard set).
Should be about $40 for a pair suitable for a unicycle.

--

tomblackwood wrote:
> *Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using?
> I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better
> for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more
> confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more
> serious up and down regimen.
>
> Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated... *

My 170's are the Black Widow Euro's. They work fine for Coker use. I'm
not going to be bending a crank on a Coker road ride.

Mike has Kooka cranks. Very nice cranks, but not available any more.

Most any of the 170 mm cranks will work fine for road riding. The most
important factor is making sure that the cranks stay tight. Anything
other than the Lasco alloy cranks should work well.

Another option is to get tandem cranks. I used 170 mm Sugino tandem
cranks on my Pashley. You get a right crank from the captain's set (the
front rider) and then a matching left crank from a normal bike's set.
Any bike shop that can order from the QBP (Quality Bicycle Products)
catalog can get the Sugino tandem cranks and they'll sell them as a
broken set (one from the tandem set and one from the standard set).
Should be about $40 for a pair suitable for a unicycle.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

aspenmike
August 25th 04, 03:50 PM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *I just took my tire pressure up from 40 to 50, and am definitely
> happier at 50. Feels like I'm more in control, and less tendency for
> the coker to "pull".
>
> Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using?
> I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better
> for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more
> confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more
> serious up and down regimen.
>
> Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated... *

I ride with tire pressure of 60 psi or so, even the 22 miles of dirt
over Boreas Pass the other week was fine with that pressure. I have
Kooka cranks on my GB4 36er, and really like them. My old Coker used
Odyssey Black Widows, which seemed just fine. As you know, I am a huge
advocate for long cranks and no brakes for the "full" effect. Since all
of my riding is mountains, that combination has had great results.
Cheers

| Attachment filename: mikes gb436er .jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/230943|

tomblackwood wrote:
> *I just took my tire pressure up from 40 to 50, and am definitely
> happier at 50. Feels like I'm more in control, and less tendency for
> the coker to "pull".
>
> Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using?
> I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better
> for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more
> confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more
> serious up and down regimen.
>
> Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated... *

I ride with tire pressure of 60 psi or so, even the 22 miles of dirt
over Boreas Pass the other week was fine with that pressure. I have
Kooka cranks on my GB4 36er, and really like them. My old Coker used
Odyssey Black Widows, which seemed just fine. As you know, I am a huge
advocate for long cranks and no brakes for the "full" effect. Since all
of my riding is mountains, that combination has had great results.
Cheers

| Attachment filename: mikes gb436er .jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/230943|

aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Google