PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your camara for MUni?

teachndad
August 23rd 04, 02:36 PM
finally got my new digital camara few weeks ago.

Now, after riding with it in the side pocket of my shorts, and dealing
with impacts from UPD's it has some dings in it, but still functions.

I need a way to carry this so it is accessible. I don't want to carry
it in my backpack. That's a pain to take off and pull out the camara
every time.

Anyone got any suggestions for a camara bag and placement of the bag
when riding? I ride with an Utimate Directions hydration bag.

BTW, for those who remember the digital camara thread, it was very very
helpul. I purchased a Canon A75 and have been very happy with it. It
functions very well. However, with the batteries installed, it does
have some heft. But, that comes with the price range, I think.

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicycling.us' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

nickjb
August 23rd 04, 03:31 PM
I bought a Berghaus Leatherman case form my local outdoors shop. It is
pretty sturdy and lightly padded. I clip this onto the shoulder stap of
my Camelbak. They had quite a range of differrent size cases. Some of
the camera ones were rigid for extra protection but were a bit big for
my camera.

I wear this for mountain biking and MUni. Much better than stopping and
rummaging through my ruchsack

--
nickjb - I've lost a wheel (apparently)
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

[...]

August 23rd 04, 03:39 PM
I found a better link:

http://www.berghaus.com/index.asp?bhcd2=1093271652

I've got the tool case, but the GPS case or camera case should work
well, too

--
[...]

hungfromhooks
August 23rd 04, 04:52 PM
LowePro in my opinion makes some of the best soft cases for carrying
your gear in. otherwise there is Pelican hard cases, these are
pressurised and waterproof and come in orange and yellow!

the best place to stow your camera is usually on your back when
traveling this will allow you the extra padding around your gear even if
you do land on it.

an even better place to carry your camera is gripped firmly in your hand
with the camera pressed gently agianst your face, for atleast a small
portion of the ride. everyone brings cameras noone ever takes enough
photographs.

if you dont document it, it never hapened

--
hungfromhooks - uni newbie

Philip Barbosa

people photographer- side show performer - newbie unicyclist

Witness an average man, flesh skewered deeply and imbedded with shark
fishing hooks! Marvel as a mere mortal fueled only by free will...
Ferociosly Pulls, twists, and stretches hooked apendages to transform
the pastey dermal landscape of his own hide and finally ascend to new
heights, literally!" This is NO ILLUSION! What you will see is real...
and remember ladies and gentlemen all this done without the assistance
of his unicycle.
hungfromhooks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6954

[...]

myocardial
August 23rd 04, 06:34 PM
Hi Rod,

I remebered this thread. JC's set up is pretty elaborate but for an
expensive camera its probably worth it.

http://tinyurl.com/4b79p

--
myocardial - I fell into a burning ring of fire.

Matt Wilhelm
Illustrated One Wheeler
Santa Barbara Unicycle Club

<http://www.sbuni.org>
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

[...]

johnfoss
August 23rd 04, 06:57 PM
John Childs probably has the best-protected camera on the trail. But
it's probably a little more hassle than a backpack to get the camera
out.

hungfromhooks wrote:
> *everyone brings cameras noone ever takes enough photographs.*
There are still a few of you out there that haven't been on trail rides
with me, obviously.

My camera rides in my butt-bag/fanny pack/whatever you want to call it.
This does not offer the best protection for the camera, but is fast and
convenient. While riding, the pack is behind me. As long as I don't fall
on my butt, which is very rare, it should be okay.

I did fall on my butt once, at the 1997 MUni Weekend. Roger Davies still
has a picture of it. Scroll to the bottom:
http://tinyurl.com/2awhj
to see a very dark picture of me sitting on my ass. For this reason,
MUni Gliding is listed on my Things not to do page:
http://www.unicycling.com/things/index.htm#29
I found out later that my old Olympus XA was killed; it was no longer
the same after that. I was able to find a replacement of that great
little camera from the 70s at a flea market.

But since 1997 I have not had a problem with butt bag storage. It rides
there on rides and vacations. Very handy.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

hungfromhooks wrote:
> *everyone brings cameras noone ever takes enough photographs.*
There are still a few of you out there that haven't been on trail rides
with me, obviously.

My camera rides in my butt-bag/fanny pack/whatever you want to call it.
This does not offer the best protection for the camera, but is fast and
convenient. While riding, the pack is behind me. As long as I don't fall
on my butt, which is very rare, it should be okay.

I did fall on my butt once, at the 1997 MUni Weekend. Roger Davies still
has a picture of it. Scroll to the bottom:
http://tinyurl.com/2awhj
to see a very dark picture of me sitting on my ass. For this reason,
MUni Gliding is listed on my Things not to do page:
http://www.unicycling.com/things/index.htm#29
I found out later that my old Olympus XA was killed; it was no longer
the same after that. I was able to find a replacement of that great
little camera from the 70s at a flea market.

But since 1997 I have not had a problem with butt bag storage. It rides
there on rides and vacations. Very handy.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

patmoore
August 23rd 04, 08:27 PM
I'm too new at this to have tried MUnis yet but I've done a lot of
biking with a minature digital camera. The Mustek GSmart Mini II is a
lightweight low end camera that sells for about $80. It's not going to
have nearly the quality of the higher end digitals (I use an Olympus
Ultrazoom 770) but it does an okay job. It's light enough to just hang
around your neck in pretty much any situation.

My wife took this shot of me with the Mustek.

[image: http://www.mtlski.com/images/uni28.jpg]

--
patmoore - Pentagenarian Snowboard Racer

"When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
patmoore's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7356

[...]

Ken Cline
August 23rd 04, 08:37 PM
I saw a video on outdoor and adventure photography techniques that
showed the use of a camera harness for use in climbing photography.
The camera hung in front of the climber's chest on an improvised
harness, providing instant access for photography and some degree of
protection due to its location. I don't recall whether the camera (a
35mm SLR) was kept in a soft case or just left there. If my memory is
correct, the video was by Galen Rowell/Mountain Light.

Mountain Equipment Coop sells something like this. I'm not enought of
a photographer to make any recommendations, but it could be worth
considering. Here's a link to the product:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=673605&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=661675

Ken

[...]

joemarshall
August 23rd 04, 09:02 PM
I've got a smallish camera (Sony DSC-U20) that fits in a camelbak clip
on mobile phone pocket and goes on the shoulder strap.

Works really well, I can take pictures really quickly and don't need to
set up pictures at all.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

[...]

Klaas Bil
August 24th 04, 06:38 AM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:57:21 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

>My camera rides in my butt-bag/fanny pack/whatever you want to call it.
>This does not offer the best protection for the camera, but is fast and
>convenient. While riding, the pack is behind me. As long as I don't fall
>on my butt, which is very rare, it should be okay.

I have my camera in a similar bag. However, I don't carry it behind me
but on the front (near my fanny ? :-) ) The bag is small enough so as
to be not in the way for me to grip my KH seat handle. And I reckon
that during a fall I crouch up a little so it is well-protected,
unlike it would be on my butt.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 24th 04, 06:38 AM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:57:21 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

>My camera rides in my butt-bag/fanny pack/whatever you want to call it.
>This does not offer the best protection for the camera, but is fast and
>convenient. While riding, the pack is behind me. As long as I don't fall
>on my butt, which is very rare, it should be okay.

I have my camera in a similar bag. However, I don't carry it behind me
but on the front (near my fanny ? :-) ) The bag is small enough so as
to be not in the way for me to grip my KH seat handle. And I reckon
that during a fall I crouch up a little so it is well-protected,
unlike it would be on my butt.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 24th 04, 06:38 AM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:57:21 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

>My camera rides in my butt-bag/fanny pack/whatever you want to call it.
>This does not offer the best protection for the camera, but is fast and
>convenient. While riding, the pack is behind me. As long as I don't fall
>on my butt, which is very rare, it should be okay.

I have my camera in a similar bag. However, I don't carry it behind me
but on the front (near my fanny ? :-) ) The bag is small enough so as
to be not in the way for me to grip my KH seat handle. And I reckon
that during a fall I crouch up a little so it is well-protected,
unlike it would be on my butt.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 24th 04, 06:38 AM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:57:21 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

>My camera rides in my butt-bag/fanny pack/whatever you want to call it.
>This does not offer the best protection for the camera, but is fast and
>convenient. While riding, the pack is behind me. As long as I don't fall
>on my butt, which is very rare, it should be okay.

I have my camera in a similar bag. However, I don't carry it behind me
but on the front (near my fanny ? :-) ) The bag is small enough so as
to be not in the way for me to grip my KH seat handle. And I reckon
that during a fall I crouch up a little so it is well-protected,
unlike it would be on my butt.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

hungfromhooks
August 24th 04, 02:46 PM
Mountain Equipment Coop sells something like this. I'm not enought of a
photographer to make any recommendations, but it could be worth
considering. Here's a link to the product:
http://tinyurl.com/4gv5w
[/B]

looks like it would certianly work. to be honest in alot of cases a soft
case over the camera isisnt going to offer it a ton of protection. your
camera would probably be fine if you had an UPD as long as you dont land
flat on your belly. if you are traveling with a 35mmslr and really want it
on your chest you will be beter served just putting a good thick UV filter
on the lens to protect it. im still a firm beliver that gear should be
carried on your back but then agian photography is how i earn my living
and on occasion i do trek alot of gear depending on the job.

--
[...]

Sofa
August 24th 04, 03:57 PM
i have a lowerpro case, and use the sternum strap on my camelback to
loop through the belt loop of the case.

I also have a pelican case if i think the ride is going to be quite
rough.

My first camera fell apart and died in the camleback

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

Happy Life Day

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
Ontario, Canada)

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

[...]

August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:46:31 -0500, "hungfromhooks" wrote:

>I'm not enought of a
>photographer to make any recommendations

>photography is how i earn my living

Puzzled...

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:46:31 -0500, "hungfromhooks" wrote:

>I'm not enought of a
>photographer to make any recommendations

>photography is how i earn my living

Puzzled...

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:46:31 -0500, "hungfromhooks" wrote:

>I'm not enought of a
>photographer to make any recommendations

>photography is how i earn my living

Puzzled...

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil
August 25th 04, 06:02 AM
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:46:31 -0500, "hungfromhooks" wrote:

>I'm not enought of a
>photographer to make any recommendations

>photography is how i earn my living

Puzzled...

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home