PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Magura strip thread

unicus
August 23rd 04, 03:35 PM
Whilst bleeding my Magura HS22 I’ve managed to strip the thread on the
brake lever where the tube enters. I now know that this part (720 446)
should be tightened to 4 NM / 34 in.lbs. I should of looked it up before
:( I would guess that having it repaired (probably helicoiled) would be
difficult with the possibility of metal particles entering the master
cylinder (if they haven't already) and it’ll be relatively expensive.

So it looks like I’m in the market for a new lever and as Magura no
longer make the HS22 it’ll have to be a HS33. Does anyone know where
sells the HS33 levers on there own for a good price in the UK.

Cheers, Gary

--
unicus

Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

one wheeled stallion
August 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Try 'Wiggle' (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/) and 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) both in the UK, both free
delivery! Good luck!

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...I explain briefly to him that such conduct leaves him vulnerable to
accusations of being an idiot. We part as enemies" - Mikefule

one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

[...]

August 24th 04, 12:08 AM
one wheeled stallion wrote:
> *Try 'Wiggle' (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/) and 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) both in the UK, both free
> delivery! Good luck! *

Thanks for the links 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) stock them. Now should I go for
the HS33 @ £35 or the HS11 @ £15? I don’t think I need the extra power
(25%) of the HS33 but what about "on the fly" Turbo Pad wear Adjuster
(TPA)? Is this really useful for a unicycle? The HS11 doesn’t look much
different from the HS22 does anyone know the power difference?

Cheers, Gary

--

one wheeled stallion wrote:
> *Try 'Wiggle' (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/) and 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) both in the UK, both free
> delivery! Good luck! *

Thanks for the links 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) stock them. Now should I go for
the HS33 @ £35 or the HS11 @ £15? I don’t think I need the extra power
(25%) of the HS33 but what about "on the fly" Turbo Pad wear Adjuster
(TPA)? Is this really useful for a unicycle? The HS11 doesn’t look much
different from the HS22 does anyone know the power difference?

Cheers, Gary

--
unicus

Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

S_Wallis
August 24th 04, 03:14 AM
unicus wrote:
> *
>
> Thanks for the links 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) stock them. Now should I go for
> the HS33 @ £35 or the HS11 @ £15? I don’t think I need the extra power
> (25%) of the HS33 but what about "on the fly" Turbo Pad wear Adjuster
> (TPA)? Is this really useful for a unicycle? The HS11 doesn’t look
> much different from the HS22 does anyone know the power difference?
>
> Cheers, Gary *
Check out the 'Magura Cult page ' (http://tinyurl.com/57a). Under Rim
Brakes, click General info, then "Upgrading your Maguras"
It says the HS-11's have a 16mm piston like the HS-22's, so same
power.
The pad adjuster is quite handy on the HS-33.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"Don't neglect your knees! They're really useful." Words of wisdom from
Cyberbellum

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

S_Wallis
August 24th 04, 03:14 AM

unicus wrote:
> *
>
> Thanks for the links 'Chain Reaction Cycles'
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) stock them. Now should I go for
> the HS33 @ £35 or the HS11 @ £15? I don’t think I need the extra power
> (25%) of the HS33 but what about "on the fly" Turbo Pad wear Adjuster
> (TPA)? Is this really useful for a unicycle? The HS11 doesn’t look
> much different from the HS22 does anyone know the power difference?
>
> Cheers, Gary *
Check out the 'Magura Cult page ' (http://tinyurl.com/57a). Under Rim
Brakes, click General info, then "Upgrading your Maguras"
It says the HS-11's have a 16mm piston like the HS-22's, so same
power.
The pad adjuster is quite handy on the HS-33.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"Don't neglect your knees! They're really useful." Words of wisdom from
Cyberbellum

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

one wheeled stallion
August 24th 04, 09:54 AM
I have the new Magura HS33s on my b*ke and love the power. I'm not sure
how much you'd need the pad wear adjuster on a unicycle but if you're
willing to fork out the extra money (and if it'll definately fit/work as
well as the old one), why not?

--
[...]

August 24th 04, 03:27 PM
I’ve ordered a HS11 brake lever from Chain Reaction Cycles. I couldn’t
justify the price difference to myself for the HS33 (more than twice
that of the HS11) and I needed some Magura blood which isn’t cheap.

Whilst searching for info on the HS11 I noticed that both Monty and Onza
have used them on their trials setups. I’ll feed back on how the HS11
works out for unicycles.

Thanks Scott for the link to the Magura Cult page. I had looked at this
site a long time ago but I had forgotten about it, very useful site.

Cheers, Gary

--
[...]

August 24th 04, 09:01 PM
The lower end entry level Onzas have V-brakes or the HS11s, the higher
spec ones have HS33s and/or Hope mini mono/Avid mech discs.

If I were to get a hydraulic brake on a uni, I'd look for an HS11-HS33s
are sooo powerful, I don't think I'd need that kind of stopping power at
that cost. I'm getting an Avid Arch V on my 29er though which is meant
to be extremely powerful. Cheaper though! :)

--
[...]

August 25th 04, 03:23 PM
My new HS11 brake lever arrived this morning (20 hours after ordering)
and is now bled and working :) but with one problem, it does not fit the
handle on my unicycle which is about 1.5mm larger in diameter than a
normal handle bar the brake was designed to fit. :mad:

While my old HS22 having a metal body would open that extra bit to fit
my handle the HS11 is plastic and will not. I had planned to adapt my
handle as the position the brake lever was in was not ideal but I hadn’t
planned to do it just yet, now I’ll have to.

All this from the small job of bleeding the brake, what else will
happen?

Gary

--
[...]

August 25th 04, 05:35 PM
unicus wrote:
> *My new HS11 brake lever arrived this morning (20 hours after
> ordering) and is now bled and working :) but with one problem, it does
> not fit the handle on my unicycle which is about 1.5mm larger in
> diameter than a normal handle bar the brake was designed to fit.
> :mad:
>
> While my old HS22 having a metal body would open that extra bit to fit
> my handle the HS11 is plastic and will not. I had planned to adapt my
> handle as the position the brake lever was in was not ideal but I
> hadn’t planned to do it just yet, now I’ll have to.
>
> All this from the small job of bleeding the brake, what else will
> happen?
>
> Gary *
I have a motto: "Nothing is simple".

What is the existing mount and why is it an odd size?
For that small difference you may be able to make a hacksaw slot down
the length of the brake mount stub, and squeeze the tube down using a
hose clamp or pliers. If the first cut isn't enough, make another at
the same place. Not elegant, but cheap and easy.

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"Don't neglect your knees! They're really useful." Words of wisdom from
Cyberbellum

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home