PDA

View Full Version : HG-70 VS HG-50

Kerry
October 8th 04, 07:25 PM
I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned commuter ride.

I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50 (HG-50
is about $5 cheaper.

Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the two?

Kerry

October 8th 04, 08:07 PM
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:25:18 GMT, "Kerry" <k n i k o l a i s e n@s b c
g lo b a l.net> wrote:

>I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned commuter ride.
>
>I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50 (HG-50
>is about $5 cheaper.
>
>Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the two?
>
>Kerry

In my experience chrome plated cogs wear better and have more
corrosion resistance than non chrome plated cogs. I had an unchromed
HG 50 thread on freewheel that hooked up after only light use.

g lo b a l.net> wrote:

>I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned commuter ride.
>
>I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50 (HG-50
>is about $5 cheaper.
>
>Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the two?
>
>Kerry

In my experience chrome plated cogs wear better and have more
corrosion resistance than non chrome plated cogs. I had an unchromed
HG 50 thread on freewheel that hooked up after only light use.

Zog The Undeniable
October 9th 04, 08:33 AM
Kerry wrote:

> I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned commuter ride.
>
> I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50 (HG-50
> is about $5 cheaper.
>
> Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the two?

My HG70 has metal spacers rather than plastic on the HG50.

Zog The Undeniable
October 9th 04, 08:33 AM
Kerry wrote:

> I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned commuter ride.
>
> I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50 (HG-50
> is about $5 cheaper.
>
> Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the two?

My HG70 has metal spacers rather than plastic on the HG50.

Matt O'Toole
October 11th 04, 12:39 AM
Kerry wrote:

> I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned
> commuter ride.
>
> I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50
> (HG-50 is about $5 cheaper.
>
> Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the
> two?

No. The plated ones supposedly last longer, but I don't think it makes any
difference. Go cheap, unless you like the silver color.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole
October 11th 04, 12:39 AM
Kerry wrote:

> I am needing a replacement cassette for my 7-speed MTB turned
> commuter ride.
>
> I currently have a 13-30 HG-70 and am considering an HG-70 or HG-50
> (HG-50 is about $5 cheaper.
>
> Besides the chrome/silver finish, is there any difference between the
> two?

No. The plated ones supposedly last longer, but I don't think it makes any
difference. Go cheap, unless you like the silver color.

Matt O.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home