PDA

View Full Version : 8-s DT shifter question/ does anyone have 9-sp DT shifters?

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 9th 04, 08:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3696969271

I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual clicks in
between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
7-speed, right? Or am I supposed to use the limit screw as the stopping
point for the 8th large cog?

I've notified the seller... he's been very friendly and cooperative in the
past, so it should all work out.

If it doesn't work out, does anyone here have 9-speed downtube shifters they
want to sell for 20 or less?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Art M
October 9th 04, 11:24 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
message .. .
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3696969271
>
> I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual clicks
> in between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
> 7-speed, right? Or am I supposed to use the limit screw as the stopping
> point for the 8th large cog?
>
> I've notified the seller... he's been very friendly and cooperative in the
> past, so it should all work out.
>
> If it doesn't work out, does anyone here have 9-speed downtube shifters
> they want to sell for 20 or less?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I have 7spd downtube shifters that I use with an 8spd wheel. Limit screws
are of course set to get all 8 gears. I have the barrel adjusted so I get
indexing on the smallest 7 cogs but I can still shift into the easiest gear.
30 seconds bearing down hard in that gear will cause it to pop into second
because there's not enough friction in an indexing system to hold the
non-indexed position. On the rare occasions when I ride over serious hills I
adjust the barrel so that I get the proper use of first gear, but then I
loose my outermost cog. Not a big hassle, but I'm lucky that it has recently
been relegated to being my rain bike. Shifting was otherwise flawless. If
there are 9 spd downtube shifters they wouldn't work with an 8-spd cassette
because the gear spacing is different.

--Art

Art M
October 9th 04, 11:24 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
message .. .
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3696969271
>
> I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual clicks
> in between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
> 7-speed, right? Or am I supposed to use the limit screw as the stopping
> point for the 8th large cog?
>
> I've notified the seller... he's been very friendly and cooperative in the
> past, so it should all work out.
>
> If it doesn't work out, does anyone here have 9-speed downtube shifters
> they want to sell for 20 or less?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I have 7spd downtube shifters that I use with an 8spd wheel. Limit screws
are of course set to get all 8 gears. I have the barrel adjusted so I get
indexing on the smallest 7 cogs but I can still shift into the easiest gear.
30 seconds bearing down hard in that gear will cause it to pop into second
because there's not enough friction in an indexing system to hold the
non-indexed position. On the rare occasions when I ride over serious hills I
adjust the barrel so that I get the proper use of first gear, but then I
loose my outermost cog. Not a big hassle, but I'm lucky that it has recently
been relegated to being my rain bike. Shifting was otherwise flawless. If
there are 9 spd downtube shifters they wouldn't work with an 8-spd cassette
because the gear spacing is different.

--Art

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual
clicks in
between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>

Don't you work in a bike shop??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual
clicks in
between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>

Don't you work in a bike shop??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

October 10th 04, 07:24 PM
On 10 Oct 2004 12:44:30 GMT, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual
>clicks in
>between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
>7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>
>Don't you work in a bike shop??
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

Younger mechanics may not have seen too many 7-speed
friction shifters. The easiest way to learn the vagaries of
obsolete equipment is to ask and hope that someone familiar
with it still remembers.

Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
question.

Carl Fogel

Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6 actual
>clicks in
>between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters are
>7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>
>Don't you work in a bike shop??
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

Younger mechanics may not have seen too many 7-speed
friction shifters. The easiest way to learn the vagaries of
obsolete equipment is to ask and hope that someone familiar
with it still remembers.

Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
question.

Carl Fogel

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 11th 04, 07:21 AM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6
> actual clicks in
> between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters
> are 7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>
> Don't you work in a bike shop??

Yes... for the past 3 months in a college town where Magna, Huffy, Next, and
Royce Union reign supreme.

When I was starting out, I was handed lots and lots of tips and advice on
things that I had no idea possessed shortcuts. I figured there might be
something I was missing, so I figured, why not ask?

Anyways, my dilemma was solved when I examined the shifters closely to find
"7s" on them. The seller's sending me a pair of Ultegra 8sp's in exchange.
But with DA9 DT shifters being quite inexpensive, I may just order a pair of
those and get 2 more gear ratios in.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 11th 04, 07:21 AM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6
> actual clicks in
> between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters
> are 7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>
> Don't you work in a bike shop??

Yes... for the past 3 months in a college town where Magna, Huffy, Next, and
Royce Union reign supreme.

When I was starting out, I was handed lots and lots of tips and advice on
things that I had no idea possessed shortcuts. I figured there might be
something I was missing, so I figured, why not ask?

Anyways, my dilemma was solved when I examined the shifters closely to find
"7s" on them. The seller's sending me a pair of Ultegra 8sp's in exchange.
But with DA9 DT shifters being quite inexpensive, I may just order a pair of
those and get 2 more gear ratios in.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 11th 04, 07:30 AM
wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2004 12:44:30 GMT, (Qui si parla
> Campagnolo ) wrote:
>
>> Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6
>> actual clicks in
>> between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters
>> are 7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>>
>> Don't you work in a bike shop??
>>
>> Peter Chisholm
>> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>> 1833 Pearl St.
>> Boulder, CO, 80302
>> (303)440-3535
>> http://www.vecchios.com
>> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> Younger mechanics may not have seen too many 7-speed
> friction shifters. The easiest way to learn the vagaries of
> obsolete equipment is to ask and hope that someone familiar
> with it still remembers.

I've actually been using Exage 7s friction/indexed shifters for about a year
now in the indexed mode. I haven't tried friction mode, but riding on
campus is a little hairy if one is trying to trim while dodging pedestrian
bodies.

> Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
> to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
> ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
> question.

He's (Peter) got a point... I should have just known the answer through
deductive reasoning, but the groupset was advertised as 8-speed, and my
roommate has the identical older champagne 105 group on his C'dale, except
with 8-sp brifters. Therefore, I was under the impression that this one
really should be 8-sp, so I checked here.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 11th 04, 07:30 AM
wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2004 12:44:30 GMT, (Qui si parla
> Campagnolo ) wrote:
>
>> Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6
>> actual clicks in
>> between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters
>> are 7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>>
>> Don't you work in a bike shop??
>>
>> Peter Chisholm
>> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>> 1833 Pearl St.
>> Boulder, CO, 80302
>> (303)440-3535
>> http://www.vecchios.com
>> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> Younger mechanics may not have seen too many 7-speed
> friction shifters. The easiest way to learn the vagaries of
> obsolete equipment is to ask and hope that someone familiar
> with it still remembers.

I've actually been using Exage 7s friction/indexed shifters for about a year
now in the indexed mode. I haven't tried friction mode, but riding on
campus is a little hairy if one is trying to trim while dodging pedestrian
bodies.

> Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
> to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
> ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
> question.

He's (Peter) got a point... I should have just known the answer through
deductive reasoning, but the groupset was advertised as 8-speed, and my
roommate has the identical older champagne 105 group on his C'dale, except
with 8-sp brifters. Therefore, I was under the impression that this one
really should be 8-sp, so I checked here.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

October 11th 04, 08:29 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:30:51 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"

wrote:
>> On 10 Oct 2004 12:44:30 GMT, (Qui si parla
>> Campagnolo ) wrote:
>>
>>> Phil-<< I bought the above groupset... the downtube shifters have 6
>>> actual clicks in
>>> between the highest and lowest gears. This means that the shifters
>>> are 7-speed, right? >><BR><BR>
>>>
>>> Don't you work in a bike shop??
>>>
>>> Peter Chisholm
>>> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>>> 1833 Pearl St.
>>> Boulder, CO, 80302
>>> (303)440-3535
>>> http://www.vecchios.com
>>> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>>
>> Dear Peter,
>>
>> Younger mechanics may not have seen too many 7-speed
>> friction shifters. The easiest way to learn the vagaries of
>> obsolete equipment is to ask and hope that someone familiar
>> with it still remembers.
>
>I've actually been using Exage 7s friction/indexed shifters for about a year
>now in the indexed mode. I haven't tried friction mode, but riding on
>campus is a little hairy if one is trying to trim while dodging pedestrian
>bodies.
>
>> Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
>> to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
>> ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
>> question.
>
>He's (Peter) got a point... I should have just known the answer through
>deductive reasoning, but the groupset was advertised as 8-speed, and my
>roommate has the identical older champagne 105 group on his C'dale, except
>with 8-sp brifters. Therefore, I was under the impression that this one
>really should be 8-sp, so I checked here.

Dear Phil,

I hate to say it, but no, he didn't have a point.

He just had a sneer at you for asking a question, without
even an answer to go along with it--which, to be fair, is a
failing that many of us are prone to.

Never let anyone convince you to stop asking questions.

This is (for crying out loud!) a place to ask questions.

If you let people discourage you from asking questions,
you'll end up like a few posters here on rec.bicycles.tech
who stopped asking questions a long time ago because they're
convinced that they know it all. They may know a lot, but
what they don't know is a caution--and often seems to be
increasing.

Some signs of the disease are telling other people that they
should stop asking such questions, that they're asking the
wrong questions, that they're not sticking to some post-hoc
defined subject, and similar vigorous efforts to strangle
curiosity rather than to explain. (It's a mystery why they
feel compelled to try to stifle other people instead of
simply shutting up.)

Another bad sign is failing to ask questions in the first
place.

Age may have something to do with it. We older types have so
much knowledge, training, experience, and wisdom that we'll
be damned before we'll ask a question.

The older I get, the more often I realize what a dumb
son-of-a-bitch I am for wasting my time trying to figure
things out in a vacuum instead of picking up the phone,
searching the internet, looking things up, or asking for
help.

Computer problems are a good example of this. I'd love to
think that I could untangle every problem that afflicts my
clients by sheer deductive reasoning, but the fact is that I
usually find the solutions on the internet because someone
else already figured it out. Anyone willing to search for
links that mention a mysterious inability to log on as a
normal user or as the administrator, or even to reach a
command prompt, is going to save lots of time that will be
wasted by anyone too proud to ask questions and stubbornly
trying to solve it all by himself.

It may be no coincidence that some of those most likely to
discourage questions on rec.bicycles.tech are also those
least likely to show much interest in the mechanics of how
their posts appear. You don't get too far with computers
without curiosity.

Now I'm going to stop and look into a miserable watch that
keeps fogging up, no matter what clever tricks I use when
re-assembling it. Any fool should know how to fix it, but
I've tried three different approaches and asked two people
whose suggestions have done no good. Either I need to heat
it, cool it, or dry it out differently, or there's a leaking
seal. I suspect that somewhere on the internet is a
rec.foggy.watch page that has the answer.

Or maybe some kind soul here will help me.

Carl Fogel

wrote:
> [...]

wasted by anyone too proud to ask questions and stubbornly
trying to solve it all by himself.

It may be no coincidence that some of those most likely to
discourage questions on rec.bicycles.tech are also those
least likely to show much interest in the mechanics of how
their posts appear. You don't get too far with computers
without curiosity.

Now I'm going to stop and look into a miserable watch that
keeps fogging up, no matter what clever tricks I use when
re-assembling it. Any fool should know how to fix it, but
I've tried three different approaches and asked two people
whose suggestions have done no good. Either I need to heat
it, cool it, or dry it out differently, or there's a leaking
seal. I suspect that somewhere on the internet is a
rec.foggy.watch page that has the answer.

Or maybe some kind soul here will help me.

October 11th 04, 03:28 PM
Carl-<< Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
question. >><BR><BR>

But I wopuld ask that if the gent sounded like he was a military pilot first...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 03:28 PM
Carl-<< Imagine asking how hard a Corsair needed to turn on approach
to land to the carrier deck and having someone ask if you'd
ever been a carrier pilot instead of answering your
question. >><BR><BR>

But I wopuld ask that if the gent sounded like he was a military pilot first...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 03:30 PM
Retrobob-<< Another rider looked at my bike a couple of weeks ago and said "are
those downtube shifters" ? "Yeah", I said, "friction too". He
looked at me like I had three heads, then he says "Don't tell me
those are sew ups ?" >><BR><BR>

I've had people ask me what those things on the downtube are and not even know
what a sewup is....

'why do you have a tire under your seat instead of a 'tool bag'...

[...]

October 11th 04, 03:32 PM
carl-<< He just had a sneer at you for asking a question, without
even an answer to go along with it--which, to be fair, is a
failing that many of us are prone to. >><BR><BR>

Congratulations Carl, for not only becoming Phil's guardian but also knowing
what my point was after looking at these very 'sterile' posts.

Rememeber there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers....

[...]

October 11th 04, 03:34 PM
Phil-<< Yes... for the past 3 months in a college town where Magna, Huffy,
Next, and
Royce Union reign supreme. >><BR><BR>

Thanks...copy to Herr Carl..Nobody there you can ask? But, 6 clicks means 7
speeds, since the first position doesn't have a 'click'.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 03:34 PM
Phil-<< Yes... for the past 3 months in a college town where Magna, Huffy,
Next, and
Royce Union reign supreme. >><BR><BR>

Thanks...copy to Herr Carl..Nobody there you can ask? But, 6 clicks means 7
speeds, since the first position doesn't have a 'click'.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

October 11th 04, 07:14 PM
On 11 Oct 2004 14:34:43 GMT, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Phil-<< Yes... for the past 3 months in a college town where Magna, Huffy,
>Next, and
>Royce Union reign supreme. >><BR><BR>
>
>Thanks...copy to Herr Carl..Nobody there you can ask? But, 6 clicks means 7
>speeds, since the first position doesn't have a 'click'.
>

>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

See? That's an answer.

Carl Fogel

Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Phil-<< Yes... for the past 3 months in a college town where Magna, Huffy,
>Next, and
>Royce Union reign supreme. >><BR><BR>
>
>Thanks...copy to Herr Carl..Nobody there you can ask? But, 6 clicks means 7
>speeds, since the first position doesn't have a 'click'.
>

>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

See? That's an answer.

Carl Fogel

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 09:17 PM
carl-<< See? >><BR><BR>

See what?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 09:17 PM
carl-<< See? >><BR><BR>

See what?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

October 11th 04, 10:45 PM

You eventually wrote:

"But, 6 clicks means 7 speeds, since the first position
doesn't have a 'click'."

See? That's an answer.

(And so is this.)

Carl Fogel

You eventually wrote:

"But, 6 clicks means 7 speeds, since the first position
doesn't have a 'click'."

See? That's an answer.

(And so is this.)

Carl Fogel

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 12th 04, 12:05 AM
> Never let anyone convince you to stop asking questions.

By any means, I was never convinced that I should. I've been here long
enough to become adjusted to the sometimes harsh and condescending replies
in order to sift through the material to find the knowledge I was looking
for.

> curiosity rather than to explain. (It's a mystery why they
> feel compelled to try to stifle other people instead of
> simply shutting up.)

Sometimes I find myself wanting to stifle others in these situations, but I
always check myself first.

> Computer problems are a good example of this. I'd love to

I got my real start in computers back in the 486 days... even had a 286.
Goes to show how young I am. I got frustrated with the troubleshooting part
of computer problems, so I gave it up.

> Now I'm going to stop and look into a miserable watch that
> keeps fogging up, no matter what clever tricks I use when
> re-assembling it. Any fool should know how to fix it, but
> I've tried three different approaches and asked two people
> whose suggestions have done no good. Either I need to heat
> it, cool it, or dry it out differently, or there's a leaking
> seal. I suspect that somewhere on the internet is a
> rec.foggy.watch page that has the answer.

Hmm... I did a search myself and found nothing... good luck though.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 12th 04, 12:05 AM
> Never let anyone convince you to stop asking questions.

By any means, I was never convinced that I should. I've been here long
enough to become adjusted to the sometimes harsh and condescending replies
in order to sift through the material to find the knowledge I was looking
for.

> curiosity rather than to explain. (It's a mystery why they
> feel compelled to try to stifle other people instead of
> simply shutting up.)

Sometimes I find myself wanting to stifle others in these situations, but I
always check myself first.

> Computer problems are a good example of this. I'd love to

I got my real start in computers back in the 486 days... even had a 286.
Goes to show how young I am. I got frustrated with the troubleshooting part
of computer problems, so I gave it up.

> Now I'm going to stop and look into a miserable watch that
> keeps fogging up, no matter what clever tricks I use when
> re-assembling it. Any fool should know how to fix it, but
> I've tried three different approaches and asked two people
> whose suggestions have done no good. Either I need to heat
> it, cool it, or dry it out differently, or there's a leaking
> seal. I suspect that somewhere on the internet is a
> rec.foggy.watch page that has the answer.

Hmm... I did a search myself and found nothing... good luck though.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 12th 04, 02:32 PM
carl-<< See? >><BR><BR>

Say again?

I guess that's the noise of the subtle point/small humor going over yer head.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 12th 04, 02:32 PM
carl-<< See? >><BR><BR>

Say again?

I guess that's the noise of the subtle point/small humor going over yer head.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302