PDA

View Full Version : Megarange FW question(s)

Kyle.B.H
October 10th 04, 12:40 AM
Have an old rear wheel with a Suntour Accushift 6 spd freewheel.

1) Will a Shimano 7spd Megarange (13-34) fit?

2) Any chance a Shimano triple road rear derailer will work (considering the
34 tooth sprocket)?

3) If no to 2), I have a Tourney MegaRange, adapter claw version, handy -
will this work on a dropout with a derailer hanger, or will that get in the
way?

Thanks,

Kyle

Sheldon Brown
October 10th 04, 06:28 AM
Kyle.B.H wrote:

> Have an old rear wheel with a Suntour Accushift 6 spd freewheel.
>
> 1) Will a Shimano 7spd Megarange (13-34) fit?

Yes, and if you use a Shimano rear derailer, it will most likely index
OK with a SunTour _6_-speed shifter! (The Shimano/SunTour mismatch
cancels out the 6-speed/7-speed mismatch.)

> 2) Any chance a Shimano triple road rear derailer will work (considering the
> 34 tooth sprocket)?

Nope.

> 3) If no to 2), I have a Tourney MegaRange, adapter claw version, handy -
> will this work on a dropout with a derailer hanger, or will that get in the
> way?

Nope.

Sheldon "One Out Of Three" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| Certainly the game is rigged. |
| Don't let that stop you; |
| if you don't bet, you can't win. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown
October 10th 04, 06:28 AM
Kyle.B.H wrote:

> Have an old rear wheel with a Suntour Accushift 6 spd freewheel.
>
> 1) Will a Shimano 7spd Megarange (13-34) fit?

Yes, and if you use a Shimano rear derailer, it will most likely index
OK with a SunTour _6_-speed shifter! (The Shimano/SunTour mismatch
cancels out the 6-speed/7-speed mismatch.)

> 2) Any chance a Shimano triple road rear derailer will work (considering the
> 34 tooth sprocket)?

Nope.

> 3) If no to 2), I have a Tourney MegaRange, adapter claw version, handy -
> will this work on a dropout with a derailer hanger, or will that get in the
> way?

Nope.

Sheldon "One Out Of Three" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| Certainly the game is rigged. |
| Don't let that stop you; |
| if you don't bet, you can't win. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

A Muzi
October 11th 04, 02:13 AM
Kyle.B.H wrote:
> Have an old rear wheel with a Suntour Accushift 6 spd freewheel.
> 1) Will a Shimano 7spd Megarange (13-34) fit?
> 2) Any chance a Shimano triple road rear derailer will work (considering the
> 34 tooth sprocket)?
> 3) If no to 2), I have a Tourney MegaRange, adapter claw version, handy -
> will this work on a dropout with a derailer hanger, or will that get in the
> way?

1) most likely. You can add a washer under the right side
locknut if necessary.
2) If it's long enough, sure.
3) If you can unbolt the adapter, sure. If the 'claw' is
rivetted then I'd get a different changer.

Since six speed Accushift is evenly spaced, unlike other
Suntour systems, this all sounds reasonable. If it isn't
great, just get a six speed top shifter ($9.95 with cable) .

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi
October 11th 04, 02:13 AM
Kyle.B.H wrote:
> Have an old rear wheel with a Suntour Accushift 6 spd freewheel.
> 1) Will a Shimano 7spd Megarange (13-34) fit?
> 2) Any chance a Shimano triple road rear derailer will work (considering the
> 34 tooth sprocket)?
> 3) If no to 2), I have a Tourney MegaRange, adapter claw version, handy -
> will this work on a dropout with a derailer hanger, or will that get in the
> way?

1) most likely. You can add a washer under the right side
locknut if necessary.
2) If it's long enough, sure.
3) If you can unbolt the adapter, sure. If the 'claw' is
rivetted then I'd get a different changer.

Since six speed Accushift is evenly spaced, unlike other
Suntour systems, this all sounds reasonable. If it isn't
great, just get a six speed top shifter ($9.95 with cable) .

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971