PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Frozen into Crank Shaft

RP10128
October 10th 04, 11:27 PM
I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into the
crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up the
crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
counterclockwise? Thanks.

RP10128
October 10th 04, 11:30 PM
RP10128 > wrote in
31:

> I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into
the
> crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen
up
> the crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by
> turning it counterclockwise? Thanks.

Sorry, I meant, what can do I do to loosen up the pedal, not the
crank
shaft.

RP10128
October 10th 04, 11:30 PM
RP10128 > wrote in
31:

> I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into
the
> crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen
up
> the crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by
> turning it counterclockwise? Thanks.

Sorry, I meant, what can do I do to loosen up the pedal, not the
crank
shaft.

Arthur Harris
October 10th 04, 11:45 PM
"RP10128" wrote:
>I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into the
> crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up the
> crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
> counterclockwise?

1) See Step 2.

2) Left pedals are left hand threaded. You loosen it by turning it
clockwise.

Art Harris

Arthur Harris
October 10th 04, 11:45 PM
"RP10128" wrote:
>I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into the
> crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up the
> crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
> counterclockwise?

1) See Step 2.

2) Left pedals are left hand threaded. You loosen it by turning it
clockwise.

Art Harris

David L. Johnson
October 11th 04, 02:22 AM
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:27:15 -0500, RP10128 wrote:

> 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
> counterclockwise? Thanks.

No, you are not. This should help with your first question, as well.
Left hand pedals have left-hand threads to keep them from unscrewing.
This may seem incorrect, but it's right. Um, left.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

David L. Johnson
October 11th 04, 02:22 AM
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:27:15 -0500, RP10128 wrote:

> 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
> counterclockwise? Thanks.

No, you are not. This should help with your first question, as well.
Left hand pedals have left-hand threads to keep them from unscrewing.
This may seem incorrect, but it's right. Um, left.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 02:48 PM
Richard-<< I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into
the
crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up the
crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
counterclockwise? >><BR><BR>

Ooooppsss...I wish I had a dime for every....also inner rings mounted
backwards, rear der cables thru the plate...etc.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 04, 02:48 PM
Richard-<< I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into
the
crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up the
crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by turning it
counterclockwise? >><BR><BR>

Ooooppsss...I wish I had a dime for every....also inner rings mounted
backwards, rear der cables thru the plate...etc.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Ted
October 11th 04, 09:16 PM
RP10128 > wrote:

> RP10128 > wrote:
>
> > I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into
> the
> > crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen
> up
> > the crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by
> > turning it counterclockwise? Thanks.
> >

> Sorry, I meant, what can do I do to loosen up the pedal, not the
> crank shaft.

The "crank shaft" to which you refer is the pedal spindle.

Sounds like the pedal will not turn on its spindle. If that's the case,
you have a seized bearing. You will need to disassemble the pedal to
get at the bearing and see what's wrong. I believe there is a special
tool needed for that job, so take it to a bike shop which repairs bikes.

Ted
October 11th 04, 09:16 PM
RP10128 > wrote:

> RP10128 > wrote:
>
> > I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into
> the
> > crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen
> up
> > the crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by
> > turning it counterclockwise? Thanks.
> >

> Sorry, I meant, what can do I do to loosen up the pedal, not the
> crank shaft.

The "crank shaft" to which you refer is the pedal spindle.

Sounds like the pedal will not turn on its spindle. If that's the case,
you have a seized bearing. You will need to disassemble the pedal to
get at the bearing and see what's wrong. I believe there is a special
tool needed for that job, so take it to a bike shop which repairs bikes.

Bill Lloyd
October 11th 04, 10:31 PM
On 2004-10-10 15:27:15 -0700, RP10128 > said:

> I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into the
> crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up
> the crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by
> turning it counterclockwise? Thanks.

Ouch.

The left pedal on a bicycle loosens clockwise. You have been giving it
all your might to tighten it.

Bill Lloyd
October 11th 04, 10:31 PM
On 2004-10-10 15:27:15 -0700, RP10128 > said:

> I want to remove my Look pedals, but the left pedal is frozen into the
> crank shaft. Here are two questions: 1) What can I use to loosen up
> the crank shaft? 2) Am I correct that the left pedal unscrews by
> turning it counterclockwise? Thanks.

Ouch.

The left pedal on a bicycle loosens clockwise. You have been giving it
all your might to tighten it.

g.daniels
October 16th 04, 05:50 PM
check out 'DIY bike cable/luber' and 'pedal removal', in bike.tech for
an old new removal method

g.daniels
October 16th 04, 05:50 PM
check out 'DIY bike cable/luber' and 'pedal removal', in bike.tech for
an old new removal method

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home