PDA

View Full Version : Historical reference

October 11th 04, 04:02 PM
Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

Sheldon Brown
October 11th 04, 04:30 PM
wrote:

> Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
> great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
> accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
> Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
> Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

1924, but is wasn't the derailer that this famous incident inspired, but
the quick-release wheel.

See: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown
October 11th 04, 04:30 PM
wrote:

> Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
> great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
> accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
> Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
> Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

1924, but is wasn't the derailer that this famous incident inspired, but
the quick-release wheel.

See: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Dave Thompson
October 11th 04, 04:40 PM
> wrote in message
> Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
> great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
> accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
> Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
> Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
numb as bricks.

Knowing the Gran Premio della Vittoria was lost, he exclaimed, "Bisogno
cambiá qualcossa de drio!"

"Something must change in the rear!"

By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

Dave Thompson
October 11th 04, 04:40 PM
> wrote in message
> Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
> great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
> accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
> Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
> Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
numb as bricks.

Knowing the Gran Premio della Vittoria was lost, he exclaimed, "Bisogno
cambiá qualcossa de drio!"

"Something must change in the rear!"

By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

October 11th 04, 05:19 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:30:05 -0700, Sheldon Brown

wrote:

>> Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
>> great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
>> accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
>> Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
>> Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.
>
>1924, but is wasn't the derailer that this famous incident inspired, but
>the quick-release wheel.
>
>See: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html
>
>Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
>Santa Cruz, California
>+-------------------------------------------------------------+
>| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
>| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
>| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
>| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Thanks! I was getting ready to flip a coin..

wrote:

>> Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
>> great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
>> accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
>> Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
>> Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.
>
>1924, but is wasn't the derailer that this famous incident inspired, but
>the quick-release wheel.
>
>See: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html
>
>Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
>Santa Cruz, California
>+-------------------------------------------------------------+
>| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
>| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
>| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
>| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Thanks! I was getting ready to flip a coin..

John Dacey
October 12th 04, 03:53 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:40:35 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
> wrote:

>From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
>Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
>wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
>numb as bricks.
>By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
>cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

It has long occurred to me that if the Fable of Croce d'Aune had a jot
of truth to it, Campagnolo's contibution to cycling would have been
mittens.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

John Dacey
October 12th 04, 03:53 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:40:35 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
> wrote:

>From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
>Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
>wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
>numb as bricks.
>By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
>cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

It has long occurred to me that if the Fable of Croce d'Aune had a jot
of truth to it, Campagnolo's contibution to cycling would have been
mittens.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

October 12th 04, 06:16 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:53:28 -0400, John Dacey
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:40:35 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
> wrote:
>
>>From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
>>Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
>>wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
>>numb as bricks.
>>By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
>>cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.
>
>It has long occurred to me that if the Fable of Croce d'Aune had a jot
>of truth to it, Campagnolo's contibution to cycling would have been
>mittens.
>
>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>http://www.businesscycles.com
>Since 1983
>Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
>-------------------------------

The Gran Sport two wire derailleur was the real paradigm shift that
has been so important to contemporary drivelines. Who was the
engineer that dreamed that up?

Until they come up with superconducting generator/motor pairs there is
not likely to be much improvement in driveline performance for bikes.
Two sprockets and a narrow chain present the least amount of friction
for a contemporary driveline.

October 12th 04, 06:16 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:53:28 -0400, John Dacey
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:40:35 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
> wrote:
>
>>From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
>>Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
>>wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
>>numb as bricks.
>>By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
>>cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.
>
>It has long occurred to me that if the Fable of Croce d'Aune had a jot
>of truth to it, Campagnolo's contibution to cycling would have been
>mittens.
>
>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>http://www.businesscycles.com
>Since 1983
>Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
>-------------------------------

The Gran Sport two wire derailleur was the real paradigm shift that
has been so important to contemporary drivelines. Who was the
engineer that dreamed that up?

Until they come up with superconducting generator/motor pairs there is
not likely to be much improvement in driveline performance for bikes.
Two sprockets and a narrow chain present the least amount of friction
for a contemporary driveline.

gwhite
October 12th 04, 10:29 PM
Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
> Santa Cruz, California

Huh?

gwhite
October 12th 04, 10:29 PM
Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
> Santa Cruz, California

Huh?

Jeff Wills
October 13th 04, 05:12 AM
gwhite > wrote in message >...
> Sheldon Brown wrote:
> >

> > Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
> > Santa Cruz, California
>
> Huh?

You've got to have had a mother to read this list- no clones allowed.

Sheldon's in Santa Cruz, visiting family and recuperating from Interbike.

Jeff "Send in the Clones" Wills

gwhite > wrote in message >...
> Sheldon Brown wrote:
> >

> > Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
> > Santa Cruz, California
>
> Huh?

You've got to have had a mother to read this list- no clones allowed.

Sheldon's in Santa Cruz, visiting family and recuperating from Interbike.

Jeff "Send in the Clones" Wills
Jeff "Send in the Clones" Wills
Jeff "Send in the Clones" Wills

Google