PDA

View Full Version : lower back spasm

Greg
October 11th 04, 06:18 PM
About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
(with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

Mike Krueger
October 11th 04, 07:27 PM
I'm not a doctor, but simply by doing proper excercises under the guidance of a
therapist, I have recovered from a herniated lumbar disk suffered this spring,
and am back on my road bike averaging 100 mi/wk with no ill effects.
I would suggest the hot-tub to loosen up the muscles, followed by a stretching
regimen, followed by ice to relieve inflammation. Advil twice a day can help,
also.
Everyone, particularly cyclists, should incorporate a stretching regimen into
their fitness routine. Focus on stretching your hamstrings, quads, hips and
glutes, and especialy working your lower back and abs, or your "core" muscles,
as they are popularly called.

Mike Krueger
October 11th 04, 07:27 PM
I'm not a doctor, but simply by doing proper excercises under the guidance of a
therapist, I have recovered from a herniated lumbar disk suffered this spring,
and am back on my road bike averaging 100 mi/wk with no ill effects.
I would suggest the hot-tub to loosen up the muscles, followed by a stretching
regimen, followed by ice to relieve inflammation. Advil twice a day can help,
also.
Everyone, particularly cyclists, should incorporate a stretching regimen into
their fitness routine. Focus on stretching your hamstrings, quads, hips and
glutes, and especialy working your lower back and abs, or your "core" muscles,
as they are popularly called.

Tom Nakashima
October 11th 04, 09:04 PM
"Mike Krueger" > wrote in message
> I'm not a doctor, but simply by doing proper excercises under the guidance
of a
> therapist, I have recovered from a herniated lumbar disk suffered this
spring,
> and am back on my road bike averaging 100 mi/wk with no ill effects.
> I would suggest the hot-tub to loosen up the muscles, followed by a
stretching
> regimen, followed by ice to relieve inflammation. Advil twice a day can
help,
> also.
> Everyone, particularly cyclists, should incorporate a stretching regimen
into
> their fitness routine. Focus on stretching your hamstrings, quads, hips
and
> glutes, and especialy working your lower back and abs, or your "core"
muscles,
> as they are popularly called.

I'll agree 100% to this post.
stretching helps greatly.
Don't get into any races up the climbs until you heal, it was hard for me
to hold "back" no pun intended.
-tom

Tom Nakashima
October 11th 04, 09:04 PM
"Mike Krueger" > wrote in message
> I'm not a doctor, but simply by doing proper excercises under the guidance
of a
> therapist, I have recovered from a herniated lumbar disk suffered this
spring,
> and am back on my road bike averaging 100 mi/wk with no ill effects.
> I would suggest the hot-tub to loosen up the muscles, followed by a
stretching
> regimen, followed by ice to relieve inflammation. Advil twice a day can
help,
> also.
> Everyone, particularly cyclists, should incorporate a stretching regimen
into
> their fitness routine. Focus on stretching your hamstrings, quads, hips
and
> glutes, and especialy working your lower back and abs, or your "core"
muscles,
> as they are popularly called.

I'll agree 100% to this post.
stretching helps greatly.
Don't get into any races up the climbs until you heal, it was hard for me
to hold "back" no pun intended.
-tom

Herr_grepper
October 11th 04, 11:47 PM
I would alternate heat-cold-heat a couple of times a day. See if that
doesn't help.

Tom

"Greg" > wrote in message
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 12th 04, 04:35 AM
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

Have you tried riding a bike, or are you assuming it will be painful? The
few times I've had a back issue, I've found riding made it much better.
However, I wouldn't go against the advice of your doctor. (I did have a
doctor tell me once that pain is generally your body's way of telling you
that you're overdoing it during a recovery from injury. If it doesn't feel
bad, it's probably OK.)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Greg" > wrote in message
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

tcmedara
October 13th 04, 02:35 AM
Greg > wrote:
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

If it bothers you that much that you consider not riding you should probably
see a doctor. Getting medical advice from usenet is like asking
kindergarteners about particle physics -- amusing, but nothing you should
rely on.

Tom

tcmedara
October 13th 04, 02:35 AM
Greg > wrote:
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

If it bothers you that much that you consider not riding you should probably
see a doctor. Getting medical advice from usenet is like asking
kindergarteners about particle physics -- amusing, but nothing you should
rely on.

Tom

Ronsonic
October 13th 04, 05:38 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:18:36 -0500, Greg > wrote:

>About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
>spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
>have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
>wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
>(with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
>whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

The treatment plan will have to be determined for your back and injury, sorry
can't help on that.

I will say the one serious back injury I've had, bad enough to keep me out of
work for a month, the only thing I COULD do was ride a bike. Had to keep it
locked up downstairs from the apartment, couldn't carry it up. Hell, it hurt
more to walk up and down the steps than to ride. That Peugot did help keep me
sane.

Ron

Ronsonic
October 13th 04, 05:38 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:18:36 -0500, Greg > wrote:

>About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
>spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
>have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
>wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
>(with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
>whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

The treatment plan will have to be determined for your back and injury, sorry
can't help on that.

I will say the one serious back injury I've had, bad enough to keep me out of
work for a month, the only thing I COULD do was ride a bike. Had to keep it
locked up downstairs from the apartment, couldn't carry it up. Hell, it hurt
more to walk up and down the steps than to ride. That Peugot did help keep me
sane.

Ron

Thomas Reynolds
October 13th 04, 05:47 PM
Greg > wrote in message >...
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

I also have muscle spasms in my lower back. Sometimes so bad I can't
walk. Fortunately, Xrays have shown nothing wrong with my backbone.
A physical therapist gave me a stretching regime which I do every
morning as I roll out of bed. It helps tremendously. I have been
doing them faithfully for almost ten years now.

Regarding riding, I have found that when my back is bad gentle riding
on my road bike on a trainer helped to stretch the muscles. I can
also say that, in general, I have fewer problems with my back when I
am putting in many miles per week.

Just my own experience, not advice. My advice is to see a doctor.
Tom

Thomas Reynolds
October 13th 04, 05:47 PM
Greg > wrote in message >...
> About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
> spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
> have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
> wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
> (with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
> whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

I also have muscle spasms in my lower back. Sometimes so bad I can't
walk. Fortunately, Xrays have shown nothing wrong with my backbone.
A physical therapist gave me a stretching regime which I do every
morning as I roll out of bed. It helps tremendously. I have been
doing them faithfully for almost ten years now.

Regarding riding, I have found that when my back is bad gentle riding
on my road bike on a trainer helped to stretch the muscles. I can
also say that, in general, I have fewer problems with my back when I
am putting in many miles per week.

Just my own experience, not advice. My advice is to see a doctor.
Tom

Greg
October 15th 04, 02:36 AM
wrote:

>About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
>spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
>have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
>wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
>(with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
>whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

Thanks for all the advice. Just so you know what works, I iced for the
first 48 hours with no riding. Then I hot-tubed for a day or so, then
1 day on mountain bike, and by about the 5th day I was back on my road
bike riding easy about 25 miles. So far , so good. But I do plan to
add a daily stretching routine and slowly work the mileage back up.
Thanks again everybody.
Greg

Greg
October 15th 04, 02:36 AM
wrote:

>About 4 days ago I was bending over and put my lower back into a
>spasm. I'm wondering how long I have to stay off my road bike. Anybody
>have any experience with this. Currently I am just walking, but I
>wonder if riding a stationary recumbent bike or riding my mountainbike
>(with front and rear suspension) would be OK for it. Also any ideas on
>whether I should use hot-tub or ice?

Thanks for all the advice. Just so you know what works, I iced for the
first 48 hours with no riding. Then I hot-tubed for a day or so, then
1 day on mountain bike, and by about the 5th day I was back on my road
bike riding easy about 25 miles. So far , so good. But I do plan to
add a daily stretching routine and slowly work the mileage back up.
Thanks again everybody.
Greg

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home