PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, Surprise!! Another wheel question to ponder.

Eric
October 13th 04, 03:20 AM
OK So on a typical rear wheel build the non drive side spokes are about half
the tension of the drive side when properly dished. Why not use half the
spokes on the non-drive side similar to the Campy G3 pattern. Here is the
proposed wheel.
Chris King 32 hole hub
Zipp 360 rim
16 spokes 2X on the drive side (Zipp doesn't recomend 3X because of the rim
depth)
8 spokes (skip every other hole on the hub and rim) radial or 1X
Now my first impression is that the spoke tension will almost be equal.
This greatly lessens the chance for spokes to go slack and therefore makes a
more reliable wheel. The net spoke count is 24 which is currently being
used on wheelsets (Zipp 404) out there with good results. Compared to the
stock Zipp rear I believe that my wheel will use 24 spokes better. The
nondrive spokes will share the load better under more tenison.

What am I missing here?
I will use this wheel on event days and not as a daily rider.
The benefits I see are fewer spokes (lighter) and more balanced tension.
Are the minuses too great to bother with this wheel? If it means that I
will only get 10,000 miles out of the spokes I am willing to respoke it.
Spokes are cheap enough and I don't mind maintaining my own wheels.

Thoughts??
Thanks!

--
Eric

remove the "nospam" from the address to reply!!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home