PDA

View Full Version : options for 180mm double crank?

erikv
October 15th 04, 07:15 AM
I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
like a little more leverage to get through the mud.

I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
chainline issues, I suppose.

All I have seen for double cranksets are dura ace and campy record.
I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? All I really want is the
cranks themselves - I have 130mm chainrings. I'd like to find an
option for under $100. Impossible?

-Erik

Bruce Frech
October 15th 04, 09:36 AM
"erikv" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
> I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
> like a little more leverage to get through the mud.
>
> I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
> assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
> Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
> chainline issues, I suppose.
>
> All I have seen for double cranksets are dura ace and campy record.
> I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? All I really want is the
> cranks themselves - I have 130mm chainrings. I'd like to find an
> option for under $100. Impossible?
>
> -Erik

Talk to someone who uses 180's. Call Peter Dreesens @ Tailwind Bicycles @
610.287.7870. He will either sell you one of his or at least let you know
what is on the market.

Bruce

Bruce Frech
October 15th 04, 09:36 AM
"erikv" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
> I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
> like a little more leverage to get through the mud.
>
> I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
> assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
> Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
> chainline issues, I suppose.
>
> All I have seen for double cranksets are dura ace and campy record.
> I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? All I really want is the
> cranks themselves - I have 130mm chainrings. I'd like to find an
> option for under $100. Impossible?
>
> -Erik

Talk to someone who uses 180's. Call Peter Dreesens @ Tailwind Bicycles @
610.287.7870. He will either sell you one of his or at least let you know
what is on the market.

Bruce

Donald Gillies
October 15th 04, 09:40 AM
(erikv) writes:

>I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
>I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
>like a little more leverage to get through the mud.

>I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
>assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
>Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
>chainline issues, I suppose.

Most triples become doubles when you take off the inner ring. In
other words, if you buy a triple that can be double-ized by removing a
ring, and the double version of the crank has the same spindle as your
crank, then chances are very good that you can run the triple sans
inner ring on a double spindle and the chainline will be perfect.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies
October 15th 04, 09:40 AM
(erikv) writes:

>I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
>I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
>like a little more leverage to get through the mud.

>I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
>assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
>Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
>chainline issues, I suppose.

Most triples become doubles when you take off the inner ring. In
other words, if you buy a triple that can be double-ized by removing a
ring, and the double version of the crank has the same spindle as your
crank, then chances are very good that you can run the triple sans
inner ring on a double spindle and the chainline will be perfect.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Booker C. Bense
October 15th 04, 03:56 PM

Booker C. Bense
October 15th 04, 03:56 PM

Tom Paterson
October 15th 04, 04:17 PM
>erikv > wrote:
>>I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.

You can keep it "family" with these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48843&item=71067348
25&rd=1

or: http://tinyurl.com/3ph4h
--TP

Tom Paterson
October 15th 04, 04:17 PM
>erikv > wrote:
>>I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.

You can keep it "family" with these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48843&item=71067348
25&rd=1

or: http://tinyurl.com/3ph4h
--TP

Jeff Wills
October 15th 04, 05:20 PM
(erikv) wrote in message >...
> I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
> I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
> like a little more leverage to get through the mud.
>
> I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
> assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
> Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
> chainline issues, I suppose.
>
> All I have seen for double cranksets are dura ace and campy record.
> I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? All I really want is the
> cranks themselves - I have 130mm chainrings. I'd like to find an
> option for under $100. Impossible?
>
> -Erik

Finding a pair of crankarms that are 180mm length *and* fit 130mm
chainrings is going to be very difficult. Dura-Ace is one option, but
that's going to bust your budget. I think TA Alize comes closest:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/alize.asp

If it were me, I'd pull out a set of Shimano MTB arms from my
collection and put on a pair of rings- but then I've got gobs of 110mm
bolt pattern rings.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 15th 04, 05:20 PM
(erikv) wrote in message >...
> I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
> I am 6'5" and have very long legs, so I think I can handle it, and I'd
> like a little more leverage to get through the mud.
>
> I see lots of MTB crank choices, but they are triple chainring and I'm
> assuming they can't be used without changing my BB and increasing the
> Q factor. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad but then there's also
> chainline issues, I suppose.
>
> All I have seen for double cranksets are dura ace and campy record.
> I'm wondering if there's any alternatives? All I really want is the
> cranks themselves - I have 130mm chainrings. I'd like to find an
> option for under $100. Impossible?
>
> -Erik

Finding a pair of crankarms that are 180mm length *and* fit 130mm
chainrings is going to be very difficult. Dura-Ace is one option, but
that's going to bust your budget. I think TA Alize comes closest:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/alize.asp

If it were me, I'd pull out a set of Shimano MTB arms from my
collection and put on a pair of rings- but then I've got gobs of 110mm
bolt pattern rings.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 15th 04, 11:06 PM
(Tom Paterson) wrote in message >...
> >erikv > wrote:
> >>I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
>
> You can keep it "family" with these:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48843&item=71067348
> 25&rd=1
>
> or: http://tinyurl.com/3ph4h
> --TP

Nope. The Redline BMX cranks will only fit "American" style bottom
brackets- the 2" diameter style with pressed-in cups.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 15th 04, 11:06 PM
(Tom Paterson) wrote in message >...
> >erikv > wrote:
> >>I'd like to try 180mm cranks on my Redline Conquest cyclocross bike.
>
> You can keep it "family" with these:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48843&item=71067348
> 25&rd=1
>
> or: http://tinyurl.com/3ph4h
> --TP

Nope. The Redline BMX cranks will only fit "American" style bottom
brackets- the 2" diameter style with pressed-in cups.

Jeff

Erik Voldengen
October 16th 04, 02:58 PM
Thank you for your replies.

One thing I didn't know was that I may potentially use a MTB triple
crankset and just pull off the inner ring. And looking, it seems like
I could even get the chainring sizes I'm using, as well (38/48, but
something close would be fine, too).

But now looking again, I can't find anything out there in 180mm for
MTB, either. Anyone know where I could look?

Thanks again,
Erik

Erik Voldengen
October 16th 04, 02:58 PM
Thank you for your replies.

One thing I didn't know was that I may potentially use a MTB triple
crankset and just pull off the inner ring. And looking, it seems like
I could even get the chainring sizes I'm using, as well (38/48, but
something close would be fine, too).

But now looking again, I can't find anything out there in 180mm for
MTB, either. Anyone know where I could look?

Thanks again,
Erik

Jeff Wills
October 16th 04, 09:37 PM
(Erik Voldengen) wrote in message >...
> Thank you for your replies.
>
> One thing I didn't know was that I may potentially use a MTB triple
> crankset and just pull off the inner ring. And looking, it seems like
> I could even get the chainring sizes I'm using, as well (38/48, but
> something close would be fine, too).
>
> But now looking again, I can't find anything out there in 180mm for
> MTB, either. Anyone know where I could look?
>
> Thanks again,
> Erik

It's a similar situation to the road cranks. Generally they're
better-quality MTB cranks- Shimano Deore XT grade and above. Since
110mm bolt circle hasn't been made by Shimano for a while, used (Ebay
and such) is one choice, while TA is another possibility.

If this were 20 years ago, I'd point you at Sugino Mighty Tour cranks:
180mm length, 110mm bolt circle, light and strong.

I've got a couple sets of Deore XT 180mm cranks in my collection- but
I'm keeping them. I have plans for them.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 16th 04, 09:37 PM
(Erik Voldengen) wrote in message >...
> Thank you for your replies.
>
> One thing I didn't know was that I may potentially use a MTB triple
> crankset and just pull off the inner ring. And looking, it seems like
> I could even get the chainring sizes I'm using, as well (38/48, but
> something close would be fine, too).
>
> But now looking again, I can't find anything out there in 180mm for
> MTB, either. Anyone know where I could look?
>
> Thanks again,
> Erik

It's a similar situation to the road cranks. Generally they're
better-quality MTB cranks- Shimano Deore XT grade and above. Since
110mm bolt circle hasn't been made by Shimano for a while, used (Ebay
and such) is one choice, while TA is another possibility.

If this were 20 years ago, I'd point you at Sugino Mighty Tour cranks:
180mm length, 110mm bolt circle, light and strong.

I've got a couple sets of Deore XT 180mm cranks in my collection- but
I'm keeping them. I have plans for them.

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home