PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh rod bike advice needed

Jim
October 17th 04, 12:27 AM
Hello All,

Why do I not see any Raleigh road bikes out there. I see many
Cannondales, Treks, Specialized. I have an opportunity to get a really
good priceon a Raleigh but a bit skeptical because I don't see any on
the road. I am looking on the range of the Cannodale R5OO or R600 or
Trek 1500. Is there a reason they are not out there. Any advice on the
Raleigh brand would be greatly appreciated.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 17th 04, 04:07 PM
Rod bike -- a new drivetrain invention?

Bill "serves as wind chime, too" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 17th 04, 04:07 PM
Rod bike -- a new drivetrain invention?

Bill "serves as wind chime, too" S.

cheg
October 17th 04, 04:56 PM
"B i l l S o r n s o n" > wrote in message
> Rod bike -- a new drivetrain invention?
>
> Bill "serves as wind chime, too" S.

Here's a song about it...
http://www.pbase.com/image/23421365

cheg
October 17th 04, 04:56 PM
"B i l l S o r n s o n" > wrote in message
> Rod bike -- a new drivetrain invention?
>
> Bill "serves as wind chime, too" S.

Here's a song about it...
http://www.pbase.com/image/23421365

Mike Causer
October 17th 04, 07:28 PM
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:07:16 +0000, B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

> Rod bike -- a new drivetrain invention?

I interpreted it as meaning rod brakes. There must still be a few
Nottingham-built Raleighs about with them.

Ha ha ha. A quick Google on "raleigh bicycle" throws up Sheldon Brown's
page. Saying in the largest possible font "Do not write or phone me to
ask the age or value of an old Raleigh. All of the information I have on
that is on this Web page." He definitely conveys the impression that
questions from dumpster-divers have overcome his patience....

Mike

Mike Causer
October 17th 04, 07:28 PM
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:07:16 +0000, B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

> Rod bike -- a new drivetrain invention?

I interpreted it as meaning rod brakes. There must still be a few
Nottingham-built Raleighs about with them.

Ha ha ha. A quick Google on "raleigh bicycle" throws up Sheldon Brown's
page. Saying in the largest possible font "Do not write or phone me to
ask the age or value of an old Raleigh. All of the information I have on
that is on this Web page." He definitely conveys the impression that
questions from dumpster-divers have overcome his patience....

Mike

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 02:08 AM
Jim wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> Why do I not see any Raleigh road bikes out there. I see many
> Cannondales, Treks, Specialized. I have an opportunity to get a really
> good priceon a Raleigh but a bit skeptical because I don't see any on
> the road. I am looking on the range of the Cannodale R5OO or R600 or
> Trek 1500. Is there a reason they are not out there. Any advice on the
> Raleigh brand would be greatly appreciated.
Are you buying a bike to fit in with a specific social
crowd? It shouldn't matter if there are others nearby if
it's suitable to your riding, fits well and is within your
means.

Raleigh USA, with a tenuous relationship to a 120+ year old
brand name, has made major changes to their road lineup in
each of the last few years. Some models were hits, others
misses. Some have been priced severely under market, others
not such a bargain.

But that 's a general discussion and you will buy a specific
bike. If your dealer gives good advice and the bike fits
and rides well, you've found your new machine.

--
Andrew Muzi, who's sold a few thousand Raleighs over the
years and rides one himself.

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 02:08 AM
Jim wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> Why do I not see any Raleigh road bikes out there. I see many
> Cannondales, Treks, Specialized. I have an opportunity to get a really
> good priceon a Raleigh but a bit skeptical because I don't see any on
> the road. I am looking on the range of the Cannodale R5OO or R600 or
> Trek 1500. Is there a reason they are not out there. Any advice on the
> Raleigh brand would be greatly appreciated.
Are you buying a bike to fit in with a specific social
crowd? It shouldn't matter if there are others nearby if
it's suitable to your riding, fits well and is within your
means.

Raleigh USA, with a tenuous relationship to a 120+ year old
brand name, has made major changes to their road lineup in
each of the last few years. Some models were hits, others
misses. Some have been priced severely under market, others
not such a bargain.

But that 's a general discussion and you will buy a specific
bike. If your dealer gives good advice and the bike fits
and rides well, you've found your new machine.

--
Andrew Muzi, who's sold a few thousand Raleighs over the
years and rides one himself.
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 02:46 AM

Mike Causer wrote:
> I interpreted it as meaning rod brakes. There must still be a few
> Nottingham-built Raleighs about with them.
> Ha ha ha. A quick Google on "raleigh bicycle" throws up Sheldon Brown's
> page. Saying in the largest possible font "Do not write or phone me to
> ask the age or value of an old Raleigh. All of the information I have on
> that is on this Web page." He definitely conveys the impression that
> questions from dumpster-divers have overcome his patience....

You'd be surprised how many people daily write "I bought a
___ at a yard sale. What can you tell me about it?"

Well, what would be an example of an answer?

--
Andrew Muzi

Mike Causer wrote:
> I interpreted it as meaning rod brakes. There must still be a few
> Nottingham-built Raleighs about with them.
> Ha ha ha. A quick Google on "raleigh bicycle" throws up Sheldon Brown's
> page. Saying in the largest possible font "Do not write or phone me to
> ask the age or value of an old Raleigh. All of the information I have on
> that is on this Web page." He definitely conveys the impression that
> questions from dumpster-divers have overcome his patience....

You'd be surprised how many people daily write "I bought a
___ at a yard sale. What can you tell me about it?"

Well, what would be an example of an answer?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971