PDA

View Full Version : Help with Splicing Wire on Shimano Flight Deck

8cht
October 17th 04, 08:08 PM
Hi,

I want to route wires from a Shimano Flight Deck through the cable holes on
an FSA K Wing carbon bar. The one hesitation I have is that I'll have to
cut the wires and splice them back together again as both ends are connected
to either the computer mount or the controls. I thought about using Butt
Connectors and then pushing the spliced and taped portion of the wire back
into the bar (out of sight). One problem: I haven't done wire splicing
since I was a kid, especially with an expensive Flight Deck. Is it as
simple as it sounds: Cut the wire, do the necessary routing, strip both
ends, feed the ends into a butt connector, crimp, and tape up with
electrical tape? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug Huffman
October 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Don't crimp but solder low current applications where corrosion may be a
problem. Note that after enough time even solder may corrode enough to
disturb critical applications. Activated rosin solder joints are considered
in some applications to require replacement after 120 months. Been there.
Got the t-shirt. Wore it out. Don't wanna 'nother.

"8cht" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to route wires from a Shimano Flight Deck through the cable holes
> on an FSA K Wing carbon bar. The one hesitation I have is that I'll have
> to cut the wires and splice them back together again as both ends are
> connected to either the computer mount or the controls. I thought about
> using Butt Connectors and then pushing the spliced and taped portion of
> the wire back into the bar (out of sight). One problem: I haven't done
> wire splicing since I was a kid, especially with an expensive Flight Deck.
> Is it as simple as it sounds: Cut the wire, do the necessary routing,
> strip both ends, feed the ends into a butt connector, crimp, and tape up
> with electrical tape? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Jeff Wills
October 18th 04, 04:45 AM
"Doug Huffman" > wrote in message >...
> Don't crimp but solder low current applications where corrosion may be a
> problem. Note that after enough time even solder may corrode enough to
> disturb critical applications. Activated rosin solder joints are considered
> in some applications to require replacement after 120 months. Been there.
> Got the t-shirt. Wore it out. Don't wanna 'nother.

Be very careful. The "wire" may actually be two, arranged coaxially.
These can be very tough to strip, splice or solder successfully. Not
impossible, but close.

I've never worked with a Flightdeck computer, but Cateye wires are
arranged this way. Avocet computers are parallel conductors and thus
much easier to work with.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 18th 04, 04:45 AM
"Doug Huffman" > wrote in message >...
> Don't crimp but solder low current applications where corrosion may be a
> problem. Note that after enough time even solder may corrode enough to
> disturb critical applications. Activated rosin solder joints are considered
> in some applications to require replacement after 120 months. Been there.
> Got the t-shirt. Wore it out. Don't wanna 'nother.

Be very careful. The "wire" may actually be two, arranged coaxially.
These can be very tough to strip, splice or solder successfully. Not
impossible, but close.

I've never worked with a Flightdeck computer, but Cateye wires are
arranged this way. Avocet computers are parallel conductors and thus
much easier to work with.

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home