PDA

View Full Version : Wavecrest TidalForce M-750: one cool electric bike!

Sam Spade
October 17th 04, 08:36 PM
Note sure how many of you have heard of this bike, but I got one recently
and it's very impressive. It's a bit expensive compared to the competition
($2000 at Costco), but when you ride it you understand why! Powerful and
completely quiet, it's in a class of its own... And while all other electric
bikes I have seen look rather ugly, the TidalForce just looks awesome.

For more info, try the user community :http://groups.msn.com/TidalForce

Also see those links:
http://www.tidalforce.com/
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=706

Sam

PS: and no, I don't work for Wavecrest, but I almost wish I did ;-)

Kurd
October 18th 04, 02:13 AM
We had one of these beasts come into our shop. The use of standard quick
release wheels was a bad choice on a 60lb wheel. After 2 rides, the axels
bent.

Buy a real bike.

"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Note sure how many of you have heard of this bike, but I got one recently
> and it's very impressive. It's a bit expensive compared to the competition
> ($2000 at Costco), but when you ride it you understand why! Powerful and
> completely quiet, it's in a class of its own... And while all other
electric
> bikes I have seen look rather ugly, the TidalForce just looks awesome.
>
> For more info, try the user community :http://groups.msn.com/TidalForce
>
> Also see those links:
> http://www.tidalforce.com/
> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=706
>
> Sam
>
> PS: and no, I don't work for Wavecrest, but I almost wish I did ;-)

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 02:53 AM
Sam Spade wrote:

> Note sure how many of you have heard of this bike, but I got one recently
> and it's very impressive. It's a bit expensive compared to the competition
> ($2000 at Costco), but when you ride it you understand why! Powerful and
> completely quiet, it's in a class of its own... And while all other electric
> bikes I have seen look rather ugly, the TidalForce just looks awesome.
> For more info, try the user community :http://groups.msn.com/TidalForce
> Also see those links:
> http://www.tidalforce.com/
> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=706

'looks awesome'?

Butt ugly.
You should come to our neighborhood and ride with attractive
young women on bicycles to re-set your aesthetic values.

'awesome'. ?? Phooey.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 02:53 AM
Sam Spade wrote:

> Note sure how many of you have heard of this bike, but I got one recently
> and it's very impressive. It's a bit expensive compared to the competition
> ($2000 at Costco), but when you ride it you understand why! Powerful and
> completely quiet, it's in a class of its own... And while all other electric
> bikes I have seen look rather ugly, the TidalForce just looks awesome.
> For more info, try the user community :http://groups.msn.com/TidalForce
> Also see those links:
> http://www.tidalforce.com/
> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=706

'looks awesome'?

Butt ugly.
You should come to our neighborhood and ride with attractive
young women on bicycles to re-set your aesthetic values.

'awesome'. ?? Phooey.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ted
October 19th 04, 02:13 AM
"Kurd" > wrote:

> We had one of these beasts come into our shop. The use of standard quick
> release wheels was a bad choice on a 60lb wheel. After 2 rides, the axels
> bent.
>
> Buy a real bike.

I agree with your last sentence, but QR axles are not weaker than solid
ones, partly because the center hole doesn't contribute much more
strength if it's filled in with metal. In addition, QRs will often have
a better quality steel. Wheel weight has little to do with the strength
of its fixture.

Ted
October 19th 04, 02:13 AM
"Kurd" > wrote:

> We had one of these beasts come into our shop. The use of standard quick
> release wheels was a bad choice on a 60lb wheel. After 2 rides, the axels
> bent.
>
> Buy a real bike.

I agree with your last sentence, but QR axles are not weaker than solid
ones, partly because the center hole doesn't contribute much more
strength if it's filled in with metal. In addition, QRs will often have
a better quality steel. Wheel weight has little to do with the strength
of its fixture.

Kurd
October 19th 04, 02:46 AM
It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.

Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the bicycle
parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus rear
der.

"Ted" > wrote in message

> "Kurd" > wrote:
>
> > We had one of these beasts come into our shop. The use of standard
quick
> > release wheels was a bad choice on a 60lb wheel. After 2 rides, the
axels
> > bent.
> >
> > Buy a real bike.
> >

> I agree with your last sentence, but QR axles are not weaker than solid
> ones, partly because the center hole doesn't contribute much more
> strength if it's filled in with metal. In addition, QRs will often have
> a better quality steel. Wheel weight has little to do with the strength
> of its fixture.

Ted
October 19th 04, 03:13 AM
In article >,
"Kurd" > wrote:

> It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.
>
> Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the bicycle
> parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus rear
> der.

I would not agree that because of its heft, it needs stronger axles than
any other road bike. My ancient (25 years) tourer regularly travels
long distances on rough roads, loaded with quite a bit more than 100
lbs, and I've never had any axle problems, once I got rid of the
Helicomatic crap on it.

Cheap bike parts are actually quite a bit better than you may think.
For example, Altus derailleurs shift nearly as well as the fancier ones.
They are heavier, not as shiny and may not last as long, but they shift
fine.

None of this is meant to defend that silly electric powered pig. I say
if you don't want to pedal, buy a motorcycle.

Ted
October 19th 04, 03:13 AM
In article >,
"Kurd" > wrote:

> It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.
>
> Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the bicycle
> parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus rear
> der.

I would not agree that because of its heft, it needs stronger axles than
any other road bike. My ancient (25 years) tourer regularly travels
long distances on rough roads, loaded with quite a bit more than 100
lbs, and I've never had any axle problems, once I got rid of the
Helicomatic crap on it.

Cheap bike parts are actually quite a bit better than you may think.
For example, Altus derailleurs shift nearly as well as the fancier ones.
They are heavier, not as shiny and may not last as long, but they shift
fine.

None of this is meant to defend that silly electric powered pig. I say
if you don't want to pedal, buy a motorcycle.

Yuri
October 19th 04, 04:45 PM
"Kurd" > wrote in message >...
> It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.
>
> Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the bicycle
> parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus rear
> der.

Are you sure this is the bike you tried? Your information is quite
incorrect. Yes, the bike is heavy, but it's 64 lbs, not 'over 100'.
And with the powerful motor, if feels completely weightless!

As for the derailleur is a Shimano, and overall the bike is very well
made. See http://www.greenspeed.us/electric_mountain_bike.htm for the
specs.

Yuri
October 19th 04, 04:45 PM
"Kurd" > wrote in message >...
> It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.
>
> Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the bicycle
> parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus rear
> der.

Are you sure this is the bike you tried? Your information is quite
incorrect. Yes, the bike is heavy, but it's 64 lbs, not 'over 100'.
And with the powerful motor, if feels completely weightless!

As for the derailleur is a Shimano, and overall the bike is very well
made. See http://www.greenspeed.us/electric_mountain_bike.htm for the
specs.

Kurd
October 19th 04, 08:41 PM
Yes, each wheel weighed over 60lbs.

"Yuri" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kurd" > wrote in message
> > It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.
> >
> > Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the
bicycle
> > parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus
rear
> > der.
> >

> Are you sure this is the bike you tried? Your information is quite
> incorrect. Yes, the bike is heavy, but it's 64 lbs, not 'over 100'.
> And with the powerful motor, if feels completely weightless!
>
> As for the derailleur is a Shimano, and overall the bike is very well
> made. See http://www.greenspeed.us/electric_mountain_bike.htm for the
> specs.

Kurd
October 19th 04, 08:41 PM
Yes, each wheel weighed over 60lbs.

"Yuri" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kurd" > wrote in message
> > It should use something more like a downhill 20mm axle.
> >
> > Have you seen this bike? The whole thing weighs over 100lbs, and the
bicycle
> > parts they use are the cheapest. $2000 and they equip it with an Altus
rear
> > der.
> >

> Are you sure this is the bike you tried? Your information is quite
> incorrect. Yes, the bike is heavy, but it's 64 lbs, not 'over 100'.
> And with the powerful motor, if feels completely weightless!
>
> As for the derailleur is a Shimano, and overall the bike is very well
> made. See http://www.greenspeed.us/electric_mountain_bike.htm for the
> specs.

Mike Jacoubowsky
October 20th 04, 05:27 AM
> PS: and no, I don't work for Wavecrest, but I almost wish I did ;-)

Maybe, but your post would be more credible with a name, or at least with an
email address that had history that goes beyond this single post here in
rec.bicycles.tech (google, as they say, is your friend in such things).

What's been your experience with its mileage (I noticed a lot of users
complaining that were getting under 15 miles/charge)? Have you had yours
modified to remove the 20mph speed limitation (the "off-road-only" option)?

And finally, what does General Wesley Clark have to do with a company making
electric bikes???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Note sure how many of you have heard of this bike, but I got one recently
> and it's very impressive. It's a bit expensive compared to the competition
> ($2000 at Costco), but when you ride it you understand why! Powerful and
> completely quiet, it's in a class of its own... And while all other
> electric bikes I have seen look rather ugly, the TidalForce just looks
> awesome.
>
> For more info, try the user community :http://groups.msn.com/TidalForce
>
> Also see those links:
> http://www.tidalforce.com/
> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=706
>
> Sam
>
> PS: and no, I don't work for Wavecrest, but I almost wish I did ;-)

Yuri
October 20th 04, 05:36 AM
"Kurd" > wrote in message >...
> Yes, each wheel weighed over 60lbs.

Good, at least this confirms that you are not familiar with the bike,
and that the damage axle part was a joke. I'm not really surprised, as
this thing is built real tough.

BTW, those bikes are being used by Marines in Irak and Afghanistan, so
you can imagine that they having been stress tested in really rough
conditions. See http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/article.cfm?Id=1134.
They use a slightly modified version, but it's basically the same
bike.

If you get a chance, you really should give it a try. They're just
incredible.

Yuri
October 20th 04, 05:36 AM
"Kurd" > wrote in message >...
> Yes, each wheel weighed over 60lbs.

Good, at least this confirms that you are not familiar with the bike,
and that the damage axle part was a joke. I'm not really surprised, as
this thing is built real tough.

BTW, those bikes are being used by Marines in Irak and Afghanistan, so
you can imagine that they having been stress tested in really rough
conditions. See http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/article.cfm?Id=1134.
They use a slightly modified version, but it's basically the same
bike.

If you get a chance, you really should give it a try. They're just
incredible.

Matt O'Toole
October 20th 04, 03:31 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> And finally, what does General Wesley Clark have to do with a company
> making electric bikes???

He might be an investor and he's probably the rainmaker -- the political
connection it takes to get defense contracts.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole
October 20th 04, 03:31 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> And finally, what does General Wesley Clark have to do with a company
> making electric bikes???

He might be an investor and he's probably the rainmaker -- the political
connection it takes to get defense contracts.

Matt O.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home