PDA

View Full Version : crank won't tighten all the way

Kevin
October 18th 04, 05:15 AM
I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
the way. Any suggestions?

Werehatrack
October 18th 04, 05:35 AM
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:15:28 -0400, "Kevin" >
wrote:

>I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
>crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
>be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
>in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
>the way. Any suggestions?

Are you basing this on its offset from the seat tube, or on the
distance that it has gone on to the taper? If the position is still
within the range of the front der, it probably isn't worth worrying
about, but if the der stop can't be backed out enough to allow
shifting up to the big ring reliably, then the BB's not right for the
crank or the crank's not really tight. Did you put a dab of grease on
the faces of the taper? That will often allow the crank to go on a
bit farther. Also, check to make sure that there isn't some junk
inside the taper on the crank, and that the retaining bolt isn't
bottoming out before the crank is fully installed.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

wrote:

>I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
>crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
>be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
>in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
>the way. Any suggestions?

Are you basing this on its offset from the seat tube, or on the
distance that it has gone on to the taper? If the position is still
within the range of the front der, it probably isn't worth worrying
about, but if the der stop can't be backed out enough to allow
shifting up to the big ring reliably, then the BB's not right for the
crank or the crank's not really tight. Did you put a dab of grease on
the faces of the taper? That will often allow the crank to go on a
bit farther. Also, check to make sure that there isn't some junk
inside the taper on the crank, and that the retaining bolt isn't
bottoming out before the crank is fully installed.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Mark Wolfe
October 18th 04, 06:31 AM
Kevin wrote:
> I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
> crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
> be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
> in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
> the way. Any suggestions?

Square taper, Isis, or Octalink? If it's ISIS or Ocatalink, you did
pull the self extractor out to make sure the splines lined up right? If
not, you may have trashed a crank arm. Other than that, if it's
tapered, did you replace the bb with one that had the same lenght
axle/spindle?

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

Mark Wolfe
October 18th 04, 06:31 AM
Kevin wrote:
> I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
> crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
> be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
> in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
> the way. Any suggestions?

Square taper, Isis, or Octalink? If it's ISIS or Ocatalink, you did
pull the self extractor out to make sure the splines lined up right? If
not, you may have trashed a crank arm. Other than that, if it's
tapered, did you replace the bb with one that had the same lenght
axle/spindle?

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Asynchronous inputs are at the root of our race problems.
-- D. Winker and F. Prosser

serg
October 18th 04, 08:02 AM
u sure you're not mixing up shimano and campy?

"Kevin" > wrote in message
> I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
> crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems
> be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable
play
> in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated
all
> the way. Any suggestions?

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 10:55 AM
Kevin wrote:
> I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
> crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
> be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
> in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
> the way.

Are your old and new BB cartridges the same part number
-exactly? and which is it?

If it's a splined crank, you may be between splines. That
would give a 'crank sticks out too far' result.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 10:55 AM
Kevin wrote:
> I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive side
> crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems to
> be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable play
> in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated all
> the way.

Are your old and new BB cartridges the same part number
-exactly? and which is it?

If it's a splined crank, you may be between splines. That
would give a 'crank sticks out too far' result.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Kevin
October 18th 04, 04:27 PM
No, not exactly, but they are both ISIS, and both made by Truvativ.

Kevin

"A Muzi" > wrote in message
> Kevin wrote:
> > I just replaced my bottom brachet, and now for some reason, the drive
side
> > crank doesn't seem to want to tighten all the way onto the BB. It seems
> > be amout 2-3 mm farther off than it should be. There is no noticeable
play
> > in the BB or in the cranks, but it still bothers me that it isn't seated
all
> > the way.
>
> Are your old and new BB cartridges the same part number
> -exactly? and which is it?
>
> If it's a splined crank, you may be between splines. That
> would give a 'crank sticks out too far' result.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971