PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Adapter?

October 18th 04, 12:35 PM
My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
style pedals.

Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
without changing the cleat every time?

Thanks,

P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
you.

Doug Huffman
October 18th 04, 01:56 PM
No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
service.

"j" > wrote in message
om...
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

Doug Huffman
October 18th 04, 01:56 PM
No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
service.

"j" > wrote in message
om...
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

RWM
October 18th 04, 03:19 PM
"Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
> 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
> service.

I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless. You
are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without knowing
anything about her/him..

RWM
October 18th 04, 03:19 PM
"Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
> 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
> service.

I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless. You
are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without knowing
anything about her/him..

gclark8
October 18th 04, 04:07 PM
Has a similar situation at my gym, we just change the pedals on the gy
bike. If the user wants anything different, seat, pedals, etc, h
brings it. :

--
gclark8

gclark8
October 18th 04, 04:07 PM
Has a similar situation at my gym, we just change the pedals on the gy
bike. If the user wants anything different, seat, pedals, etc, h
brings it. :

--
gclark8

Derek Hodges
October 18th 04, 05:00 PM
"j" > wrote in message
om...
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

I hate to say this, but its hard to imagine an adaptor that wouldn't:

* mess up your foot position
* cost substantially as much as a second pair of shoes

Could you rent another pair of shoes?

--
Derek Hodges
Toronto

Derek Hodges
October 18th 04, 05:00 PM
"j" > wrote in message
om...
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

I hate to say this, but its hard to imagine an adaptor that wouldn't:

* mess up your foot position
* cost substantially as much as a second pair of shoes

Could you rent another pair of shoes?

--
Derek Hodges
Toronto

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 18th 04, 05:05 PM
RWM wrote:
> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
>> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money
>> in the 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'.
>> The 'gym' is a service.
>>

> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless.
> You are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without
> knowing anything about her/him..

And you improved on this...how?

Bill "critic's corner around here" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 18th 04, 05:05 PM
RWM wrote:
> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
>> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money
>> in the 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'.
>> The 'gym' is a service.
>>

> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless.
> You are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without
> knowing anything about her/him..

And you improved on this...how?

Bill "critic's corner around here" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 18th 04, 05:08 PM
j wrote:
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

Buy another pair of shoes! (Had to do it.)

You /could/ change the pedals to your Looks (PITA, granted); or just wear
sneakers and use the straps or whatever's on the other side of the trainers'
pedals.

Bill "you'll figure it out" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 18th 04, 05:08 PM
j wrote:
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

Buy another pair of shoes! (Had to do it.)

You /could/ change the pedals to your Looks (PITA, granted); or just wear
sneakers and use the straps or whatever's on the other side of the trainers'
pedals.

Bill "you'll figure it out" S.

Frank Drackman
October 18th 04, 05:25 PM
"B i l l S o r n s o n" > wrote in message
> RWM wrote:
>> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
>>> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money
>>> in the 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'.
>>> The 'gym' is a service.
>>>

>> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless.
>> You are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without
>> knowing anything about her/him..
>
> And you improved on this...how?

I think that he added a lot more than you did.

Frank Drackman
October 18th 04, 05:25 PM
"B i l l S o r n s o n" > wrote in message
> RWM wrote:
>> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
>>> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money
>>> in the 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'.
>>> The 'gym' is a service.
>>>

>> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless.
>> You are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without
>> knowing anything about her/him..
>
> And you improved on this...how?

I think that he added a lot more than you did.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 18th 04, 05:30 PM
Frank Drackman wrote:
> "B i l l S o r n s o n" > wrote in message
>> RWM wrote:
>>>>

>>> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and
>>> useless. You are making judgments about how J spends her/his time
>>> without knowing anything about her/him..
>>
>> And you improved on this...how?
>>
> I think that he added a lot more than you did.

I'm crushed.

Bill "everyone grouchy on a Monday?!?" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 18th 04, 05:30 PM
Frank Drackman wrote:
> "B i l l S o r n s o n" > wrote in message
>> RWM wrote:
>>>>

>>> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and
>>> useless. You are making judgments about how J spends her/his time
>>> without knowing anything about her/him..
>>
>> And you improved on this...how?
>>
> I think that he added a lot more than you did.

I'm crushed.

Bill "everyone grouchy on a Monday?!?" S.

Tom Keats
October 18th 04, 05:36 PM
In article >,
(j) writes:
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?

If such an item existed I wouldn't trust it; it would just
add [too much of] a layer of complexity to a system that's
supposed to provide security.

> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

One can always revert to clips & straps.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats
October 18th 04, 05:36 PM
In article >,
(j) writes:
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?

If such an item existed I wouldn't trust it; it would just
add [too much of] a layer of complexity to a system that's
supposed to provide security.

> Thanks,

> P.S. Please don't suggest that I buy another pair of shoes. Thank
> you.

One can always revert to clips & straps.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

ad6mj
October 18th 04, 05:41 PM
Shoes can be found pretty cheap if you shop around. I'd trust chea
shoes more than I would some adapter

--
ad6mj

ad6mj
October 18th 04, 05:41 PM
Shoes can be found pretty cheap if you shop around. I'd trust chea
shoes more than I would some adapter

--
ad6mj

Jeff Wills
October 18th 04, 06:48 PM
(j) wrote in message >...
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

The spinning cycles at my local gym (Lemond "Revmasters") have a
variety of pedals. Some are standard toe-clips, some have SPD on one
side with toe clip on the other, while some have a Look clip on one
side with SPD on the other. Perhaps your gym can purchase some of the
latter.

An alternative is to bring your own pedals and swap them onto the
macine you want to use. Talk to the gym- some will allow this, some
won't.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 18th 04, 06:48 PM
(j) wrote in message >...
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
>
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?
>
> Thanks,

The spinning cycles at my local gym (Lemond "Revmasters") have a
variety of pedals. Some are standard toe-clips, some have SPD on one
side with toe clip on the other, while some have a Look clip on one
side with SPD on the other. Perhaps your gym can purchase some of the
latter.

An alternative is to bring your own pedals and swap them onto the
macine you want to use. Talk to the gym- some will allow this, some
won't.

Jeff

John Thompson
October 18th 04, 06:58 PM
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]

On 2004-10-18, RWM > wrote:

> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
>> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
>> 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
>> service.

> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless. You
> are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without knowing
> anything about her/him..

Or the local climate...

--

-John )

On 2004-10-18, RWM > wrote:

> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
>> No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
>> 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
>> service.

> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless. You
> are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without knowing
> anything about her/him..

Or the local climate...

--

-John )

Leo Lichtman
October 18th 04, 08:05 PM
"ad6mj" Shoes can be found pretty cheap if you shop around. I'd trust cheap
shoes more than I would some adapter.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1.) Consensus is that there are no adapters.
2. Inexpensive shoes probably cost no more than inexpensive replacement
pedals.
3.) Wearing compatible shoes is NO trouble. Changing pedals at the start
of each session, and back again afterwards is a hassle, and may not sit well
with the management.

Leo Lichtman
October 18th 04, 08:05 PM
"ad6mj" Shoes can be found pretty cheap if you shop around. I'd trust cheap
shoes more than I would some adapter.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1.) Consensus is that there are no adapters.
2. Inexpensive shoes probably cost no more than inexpensive replacement
pedals.
3.) Wearing compatible shoes is NO trouble. Changing pedals at the start
of each session, and back again afterwards is a hassle, and may not sit well
with the management.

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 09:45 PM
j wrote:
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?

It's much quicker to swap pedals and many riders do.
Changing cleats is not reasonable.

Also, some exercise facilities keep both Look and SPD
machines - you might ask about that too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi
October 18th 04, 09:45 PM
j wrote:
> My road bike has Look pedals, but the trainers at the gym have SPD
> style pedals.
> Has anyone heard of an adaptor that I could put either on my shoes or
> on the gym's pedals that would allow me to use both Look and SPD
> without changing the cleat every time?

It's much quicker to swap pedals and many riders do.
Changing cleats is not reasonable.

Also, some exercise facilities keep both Look and SPD
machines - you might ask about that too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

October 18th 04, 10:06 PM
Although I would much rather be on the road, a good "spin class" can
often give me a decent workout (if I apply myself). I see indoor
cycling as a viable alternative for cold winter days.

Often these classes are full - with some people I recognize from
centuries and other group rides. So I can't be the only person who
could benifit from a product like this on the market. Unless Look
pedals are just THAT unpopular!

Where's an inventor when you need one?

"RWM" > wrote in message >...
> "Doug Huffman" > wrote in message
> > No. Absent that why not spend more time on the bike and less money in the
> > 'gym'? The bike is a possession that may never 'go away'. The 'gym' is a
> > service.
> >

> I think that answers like the above are completely silly and useless. You
> are making judgments about how J spends her/his time without knowing
> anything about her/him..

Chris Neary
October 19th 04, 12:20 AM

>You /could/ change the pedals to your Looks (PITA, granted)

Not that big a PITA, IMHO.

I do it for my wife all the time - she runs Speedplays while the spin bikes
are SPD.

Probably takes a couple of minutes at most.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Chris Neary
October 19th 04, 12:20 AM

>You /could/ change the pedals to your Looks (PITA, granted)

Not that big a PITA, IMHO.

I do it for my wife all the time - she runs Speedplays while the spin bikes
are SPD.

Probably takes a couple of minutes at most.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Luke
October 19th 04, 12:39 AM
In article >,
> wrote:

> Although I would much rather be on the road, a good "spin class" can
> often give me a decent workout (if I apply myself). I see indoor
> cycling as a viable alternative for cold winter days.
>
> Often these classes are full - with some people I recognize from
> centuries and other group rides. So I can't be the only person who
> could benifit from a product like this on the market. Unless Look
> pedals are just THAT unpopular!
>
> Where's an inventor when you need one?

Looking back at you from your mirror

luke

Luke
October 19th 04, 12:39 AM
In article >,
> wrote:

> Although I would much rather be on the road, a good "spin class" can
> often give me a decent workout (if I apply myself). I see indoor
> cycling as a viable alternative for cold winter days.
>
> Often these classes are full - with some people I recognize from
> centuries and other group rides. So I can't be the only person who
> could benifit from a product like this on the market. Unless Look
> pedals are just THAT unpopular!
>
> Where's an inventor when you need one?

Looking back at you from your mirror

luke

Jeff Wills
October 19th 04, 06:08 AM
(j) wrote in message >...
> Although I would much rather be on the road, a good "spin class" can
> often give me a decent workout (if I apply myself). I see indoor
> cycling as a viable alternative for cold winter days.
>
> Often these classes are full - with some people I recognize from
> centuries and other group rides. So I can't be the only person who
> could benifit from a product like this on the market. Unless Look
> pedals are just THAT unpopular!
>
> Where's an inventor when you need one?

The local gym has Spinning classes that are full of triathletes during
the winter. In the spring & summer they're out on the road- a lot of
their bikes hang from the ceiling of the Spinning room. Plenty of
trainers for those who want to use their bikes for indoor training,
too.

As I pointed out in my other post, there's a pedal with an SPD clip on
one side and a Look clip on the other. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
October 19th 04, 06:08 AM
(j) wrote in message >...
> Although I would much rather be on the road, a good "spin class" can
> often give me a decent workout (if I apply myself). I see indoor
> cycling as a viable alternative for cold winter days.
>
> Often these classes are full - with some people I recognize from
> centuries and other group rides. So I can't be the only person who
> could benifit from a product like this on the market. Unless Look
> pedals are just THAT unpopular!
>
> Where's an inventor when you need one?

The local gym has Spinning classes that are full of triathletes during
the winter. In the spring & summer they're out on the road- a lot of
their bikes hang from the ceiling of the Spinning room. Plenty of
trainers for those who want to use their bikes for indoor training,
too.

As I pointed out in my other post, there's a pedal with an SPD clip on
one side and a Look clip on the other. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home