PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Chris Janus
October 19th 04, 06:47 PM
I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see if
I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Chris

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 19th 04, 06:51 PM
Chris Janus wrote:
> I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
> see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still
> biking and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I
> really like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite
> a bit. I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete
> tuneup each year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade.
> My first question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much
> crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it
> worth it to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike?
> Thanks for all responses and opinions.

NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE!!!

Bill "you know you want to" S.

B i l l S o r n s o n
October 19th 04, 06:51 PM
Chris Janus wrote:
> I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
> see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still
> biking and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I
> really like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite
> a bit. I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete
> tuneup each year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade.
> My first question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much
> crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it
> worth it to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike?
> Thanks for all responses and opinions.

NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE!!!

Bill "you know you want to" S.

do not spam
October 19th 04, 07:05 PM
In article >,
Chris Janus > wrote:
> My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
buy a new bike.

do not spam
October 19th 04, 07:05 PM
In article >,
Chris Janus > wrote:
> My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
buy a new bike.

Dave Stallard
October 19th 04, 08:54 PM
do not spam wrote:

> In article >,
> Chris Janus > wrote:
>
>> My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>

> Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
> Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
> Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
> buy a new bike.

Agree that upgrading shifter/powertrain components will be *very*
expensive. Buying that stuff ala carte is sticker shock. Example: I
paid ~$200 to get RSX STI for my old bike, which was pre-STI and about
$700 in '94. And RSX/RX100 is cheaper than 105, let alone Ultegra. I
don't know how it compares to Shimano's current line (perhaps to Tiagra?).

I'd say new bike, unless you really are in love with your current frame.
Start test riding!

My other advice, having gotten back into biking about 10 years ago, is
not to economize too much. Consider the next level up in price, if it
offers superior performance in frame, weight, shifting, ride, etc. If
only I'd done that back in '94, I might not have had to buy such an
expensive bike this year. ;)

Dave

Dave Stallard
October 19th 04, 08:54 PM
do not spam wrote:

> In article >,
> Chris Janus > wrote:
>
>> My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>

> Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
> Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
> Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
> buy a new bike.

Agree that upgrading shifter/powertrain components will be *very*
expensive. Buying that stuff ala carte is sticker shock. Example: I
paid ~$200 to get RSX STI for my old bike, which was pre-STI and about
$700 in '94. And RSX/RX100 is cheaper than 105, let alone Ultegra. I
don't know how it compares to Shimano's current line (perhaps to Tiagra?).

I'd say new bike, unless you really are in love with your current frame.
Start test riding!

My other advice, having gotten back into biking about 10 years ago, is
not to economize too much. Consider the next level up in price, if it
offers superior performance in frame, weight, shifting, ride, etc. If
only I'd done that back in '94, I might not have had to buy such an
expensive bike this year. ;)

Dave

Patrick W.
October 19th 04, 10:36 PM
"Chris Janus" > wrote in message
.. .
>I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see
>if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like
>the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike
>but the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
>professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
>at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>
> Chris

4 years from an entry-level bike isn't a bad return if you ask me. There are
a couple ways you could go, depending on your budget. If you're rolling in
dough and itching for a new ride then I would turn it into a beater/commuter
bike and get a brand new bike. If you're don't have the cash for a
completely new bike AND you like the way the Giant rides AND the frame is
holding up, you'll get more bang for your buck by upgrading the components.
Yeah it's expensive, but buying mail order will save you quite a bit of $$
of the list prices. Also note many local bike shops will match mail order
pricing, or come pretty darned close, if you ask nicely.

I think for $1000 you could get yourself a spanking nearly top-of-the-line
component package, including new wheels for the Giant. OTOH, $1k won't buy
you much of a new bike. The beauty of a top-tier groupset (Campy Chorus or
above, or Dura-Ace) is that it will probably outlast your bike if properly
maintained.

I also agree with the poster below - buy as much as you can comfortably
afford! I have often regretted buying second best, but never regretted
buying the best I could afford.

- Patrick W.

Patrick W.
October 19th 04, 10:36 PM
"Chris Janus" > wrote in message
.. .
>I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see
>if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like
>the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike
>but the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
>professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
>at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>
> Chris

4 years from an entry-level bike isn't a bad return if you ask me. There are
a couple ways you could go, depending on your budget. If you're rolling in
dough and itching for a new ride then I would turn it into a beater/commuter
bike and get a brand new bike. If you're don't have the cash for a
completely new bike AND you like the way the Giant rides AND the frame is
holding up, you'll get more bang for your buck by upgrading the components.
Yeah it's expensive, but buying mail order will save you quite a bit of $$
of the list prices. Also note many local bike shops will match mail order
pricing, or come pretty darned close, if you ask nicely.

I think for $1000 you could get yourself a spanking nearly top-of-the-line
component package, including new wheels for the Giant. OTOH, $1k won't buy
you much of a new bike. The beauty of a top-tier groupset (Campy Chorus or
above, or Dura-Ace) is that it will probably outlast your bike if properly
maintained.

I also agree with the poster below - buy as much as you can comfortably
afford! I have often regretted buying second best, but never regretted
buying the best I could afford.

- Patrick W.

Stan Cox
October 19th 04, 11:05 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
> Chris Janus wrote:
>
>>I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
>>see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still
>>biking and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I
>>really like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite
>>a bit. I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete
>>tuneup each year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade.
>>My first question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much
>>crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it
>>worth it to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike?
>>Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>

> NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE!!!
>
> Bill "you know you want to" S.

If some of the prices I am seeing for 2005 Giants are correct then
definately NEW BIKE NEW BIKE :)

Stan Cox

Stan Cox
October 19th 04, 11:05 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
> Chris Janus wrote:
>
>>I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
>>see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still
>>biking and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I
>>really like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite
>>a bit. I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete
>>tuneup each year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade.
>>My first question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much
>>crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it
>>worth it to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike?
>>Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>

> NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE!!!
>
> Bill "you know you want to" S.

If some of the prices I am seeing for 2005 Giants are correct then
definately NEW BIKE NEW BIKE :)

Stan Cox

do not spam
October 20th 04, 12:46 AM
In article >,
Patrick W. > wrote:
>I think for $1000 you could get yourself a spanking nearly top-of-the-line
>component package, including new wheels for the Giant. OTOH, $1k won't buy
>you much of a new bike. The beauty of a top-tier groupset (Campy Chorus or
>above, or Dura-Ace) is that it will probably outlast your bike if properly
>maintained.

Where can you get a Dura-Ace group with wheels for $1000?

do not spam
October 20th 04, 12:46 AM
In article >,
Patrick W. > wrote:
>I think for $1000 you could get yourself a spanking nearly top-of-the-line
>component package, including new wheels for the Giant. OTOH, $1k won't buy
>you much of a new bike. The beauty of a top-tier groupset (Campy Chorus or
>above, or Dura-Ace) is that it will probably outlast your bike if properly
>maintained.

Where can you get a Dura-Ace group with wheels for $1000?

Polly
October 20th 04, 02:24 AM
Hi Chris

You have 2 options

1. New bike, preferably with something more durable. Between campy and
shimano.. Campy although perhaps heavier, is far more durable.

2. Upgrade Parts. Go campy, you will get more life out of it.

actually I suspose you may have a 3rd option

upgrade any of the worn parts. If we are simply talking drivetrain thats a
normal thing. But we are talking shifter deraillers.. etc,.. Then you
certainly should consider upgrading to something that will last longer, and
with my experience that is campy.

After a long day of fixing bikes I dont want to have to fix my own as well,
the current campy stuff on my cinelli ( a cheapo mix of veloce, mirage,
athena) has never needed any servicing. I have never touched the hubs, I
doubt I have hardly ever had to adjust the deraillers for that matter. The
brakepads are still going strong.

polly

[...]

October 20th 04, 04:24 PM
> Where can you get a Dura-Ace group with wheels for $1000?

I guess you can't, but that doesn't change my point - $1000 on a components
will go much further than $1000 on a complete bike.

Patrick W.
October 20th 04, 04:24 PM
> Where can you get a Dura-Ace group with wheels for $1000?

I guess you can't, but that doesn't change my point - $1000 on a components
will go much further than $1000 on a complete bike.

Harris
October 20th 04, 09:38 PM
Chris Janus > wrote:
> I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see if
> I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
> OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
> the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
> professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
> at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
> Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
> or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
> look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

How many miles are on the bike? Unless you're doing way more than 10,000
miles per year, this bike should have lots of life left in it.

In what way are the components degrading? I wouldn't agree that Sora is
crap. As components wear out, replace them. But maybe they're not really
worn out. A "tuneup" may not include repacking hub bearings, etc. Maybe
all you need are new cables/housings, brake pads, chain, and cassette.

Hey, if you want a new bike, go for it. But don't expect a world of
difference.

Art Harris

Harris
October 20th 04, 09:38 PM
Chris Janus > wrote:
> I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see if
> I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
> OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
> the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
> professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
> at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
> Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
> or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
> look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

How many miles are on the bike? Unless you're doing way more than 10,000
miles per year, this bike should have lots of life left in it.

In what way are the components degrading? I wouldn't agree that Sora is
crap. As components wear out, replace them. But maybe they're not really
worn out. A "tuneup" may not include repacking hub bearings, etc. Maybe
all you need are new cables/housings, brake pads, chain, and cassette.

Hey, if you want a new bike, go for it. But don't expect a world of
difference.

Art Harris

Ronsonic
October 21st 04, 02:20 AM
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:47:40 GMT, "Chris Janus" > wrote:

>I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see if
>I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
>OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
>the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
>professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
>at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Depends on how much you like the frame. If it just tickles you to be riding the
thing, then upgrades make sense.

It'll take any of the Shimano family of parts. Myself, I'd just do the upgrades
as things needed to be replaced or as a subsystem in the case of going from 8 to
10 speed, for example.

Ron

Ronsonic
October 21st 04, 02:20 AM
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:47:40 GMT, "Chris Janus" > wrote:

>I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see if
>I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
>OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
>the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
>professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
>at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
>or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Depends on how much you like the frame. If it just tickles you to be riding the
thing, then upgrades make sense.

It'll take any of the Shimano family of parts. Myself, I'd just do the upgrades
as things needed to be replaced or as a subsystem in the case of going from 8 to
10 speed, for example.

Ron

Alan Acock
October 21st 04, 03:52 AM
"Chris Janus" > wrote in
:

> I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
> see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking
> and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really
> like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite a bit.
> I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each
> year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade. My first
> question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap).
> Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it
> to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike? Thanks for
> all responses and opinions.
>
> Chris

Keep this as a bad weather bike and replace parts grudgingly as needed.
Buy a fair weather bike.
Alan Acock

Chris Janus
October 21st 04, 03:09 PM
"Harris" > wrote in message
erio.net...
> Chris Janus > wrote:
>> I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see
>> if
>> I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like
>> the
>> OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike
>> but
>> the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
>> professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now
>> I'm
>> at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
>> Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano
>> 105
>> or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
>> look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.
>
> How many miles are on the bike? Unless you're doing way more than 10,000
> miles per year, this bike should have lots of life left in it.
>
> In what way are the components degrading? I wouldn't agree that Sora is
> crap. As components wear out, replace them. But maybe they're not really
> worn out. A "tuneup" may not include repacking hub bearings, etc. Maybe
> all you need are new cables/housings, brake pads, chain, and cassette.
>
> Hey, if you want a new bike, go for it. But don't expect a world of
> difference.
>
> Art Harris

Maybe I'm mistaking the problem/issues here. Sorry, I don't know much about
the tech. of bikes, just the riding:)
The biggest issues I have are with my gearing. I have a triple and can only
ride
in the middle cog without a lot of rubbing, etc. This is even after a
'tuneup' at the LBS.
I've gone to 2 different LBS because I didn't think first(where I bought the
bike) was
doing a good job. But I have the same problems after using the second LBS.
I just assumed
it was the Sora components. Maybe I just need something else done.

Chris

Art Harris
October 21st 04, 09:26 PM
"Chris Janus" wrote:
> The biggest issues I have are with my gearing. I have a triple and can only
> ride in the middle cog without a lot of rubbing, etc. This is even after a
> 'tuneup' at the LBS. I've gone to 2 different LBS because I didn't think > first (where I bought the bike) was doing a good job. > But I have the same problems after using the second LBS.
> I just assumed it was the Sora components. Maybe I just need something else > done.

That's an adjustment problem. Front derailleurs can be a challenge,
especially on a triple and with indexed shifters. You may need to
experiment with the height and angle of the cage, the cable tension,
and the limit screws.

See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

You will need to "trim" the front der when you hear rubbing. And of
couse, you should avoid gear combinations that force the chain into an
extreme angle.

If that's your main complaint, I think it can be solved fairly easily
by a competent shop and good technique. I don't think it's something
unique to the Sora components.

Art Harris

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 24th 04, 03:12 PM
cjanus-<< I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
see if
I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. >><BR><BR>

Replace what needs to be replaced. That is, something that just isn't working
anymore, not just to replace for chi-chi factor.

If the levers are history, replace these and the rear der with Campagnolo
Veloce. Replace the cogset with a 9s shimano one and chain-go ride.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 24th 04, 03:16 PM
mangos-<< The beauty of a top-tier groupset (Campy Chorus or
above, or Dura-Ace) is that it will probably outlast your bike if properly
maintained. >><BR><BR>

This speaks volumes..

Components should always be secondary to the frameset. The frameset is the
heart of the bicycle, the toughest to 'upgarde'. This importance on components
vs the frameset mystifys me.

If the gent likes the frameset, it fits him well, keep it and change/fix
components. NO gruppo should outlast the frameset, if it does, then the buying
deciciosn have been skewed, IMO. Perhaps by the buyer, perhaps by the saleman.

I intend to keep my Merckx forever...the components I will replace but not the
frameset.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 25th 04, 02:34 AM
Art Harris wrote:
> "Chris Janus" wrote:
>> The biggest issues I have are with my gearing. I have a triple and
>> can only
>> ride in the middle cog without a lot of rubbing, etc. This is even
>> after a 'tuneup' at the LBS. I've gone to 2 different LBS because I
>> didn't think > first (where I bought the bike) was doing a good
>> job. > But I have the same problems after
>> using the second LBS. I just assumed it was the Sora components.
>> Maybe I just need something else > done.
>
> That's an adjustment problem. Front derailleurs can be a challenge,
> especially on a triple and with indexed shifters. You may need to
> experiment with the height and angle of the cage, the cable tension,
> and the limit screws.
>
> See:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front
>
> You will need to "trim" the front der when you hear rubbing. And of
> couse, you should avoid gear combinations that force the chain into an
> extreme angle.
>
> If that's your main complaint, I think it can be solved fairly easily
> by a competent shop and good technique. I don't think it's something
> unique to the Sora components.

A front shifter with trim makes life a lot easier. I believe the new 105
shifters have trim, and maybe even Tiagra. Sora, however, does not.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home