PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon Brown radio sighting en français

Marty Gulaian
October 21st 04, 10:29 PM
Just heard Sheldon talking baseball in French on Montreal radio today!

La malédiction de Babe Ruth est peut-être finie!

- marty G

October 21st 04, 11:07 PM
On 21 Oct 2004 14:29:35 -0700, (Marty
Gulaian) wrote:

>Just heard Sheldon talking baseball in French on Montreal radio today!
>
>La malédiction de Babe Ruth est peut-être finie!
>
>- marty G

Dear Marty,

Now I know how my sister in Massachusetts has felt all these
years.

I don't think that I'm going to like it.

Aaaargh!

Carl Fogel

Kyle.B.H
October 22nd 04, 03:38 AM
> wrote in message
> On 21 Oct 2004 14:29:35 -0700, (Marty
> Gulaian) wrote:
>
>>Just heard Sheldon talking baseball in French on Montreal radio today!
>>
>>La malédiction de Babe Ruth est peut-être finie!
>>
>>- marty G
>
> Dear Marty,
>
> Now I know how my sister in Massachusetts has felt all these
> years.
>
> I don't think that I'm going to like it.

You moving here? Or are you lamenting the possibility of hearing for four
years the blather of a haughty, French-looking, Massachusetts Democrat?

October 22nd 04, 03:58 AM
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:38:19 GMT, "Kyle.B.H" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On 21 Oct 2004 14:29:35 -0700, (Marty
>> Gulaian) wrote:
>>
>>>Just heard Sheldon talking baseball in French on Montreal radio today!
>>>
>>>La malédiction de Babe Ruth est peut-être finie!
>>>
>>>- marty G
>>
>> Dear Marty,
>>
>> Now I know how my sister in Massachusetts has felt all these
>> years.
>>
>> I don't think that I'm going to like it.
>

>You moving here? Or are you lamenting the possibility of hearing for four
>years the blather of a haughty, French-looking, Massachusetts Democrat?

Dear Kyle,

How can you speak of mere politics at a time like this?

The team formerly known as the New York Yankees were ahead
of the infamous Boston Red Sox by three games in the
playoffs and then--

No, I don't think that I'm going to like this.

Crushed,

Carl Fogel

Ted
October 22nd 04, 04:14 AM
In article >,
wrote:

> "Kyle.B.H" > wrote:

> >You moving here? Or are you lamenting the possibility of hearing for four
> >years the blather of a haughty, French-looking, Massachusetts Democrat?

> Dear Kyle,
>
> How can you speak of mere politics at a time like this?
>
> The team formerly known as the New York Yankees were ahead
> of the infamous Boston Red Sox by three games in the
> playoffs and then--
>
> No, I don't think that I'm going to like this.
>
> Crushed,
>
> Carl Fogel

One thing that I particularly enjoyed about the Red Sox fans' emotional
attachment to the team is that when the Sox lose a big game, there's
rioting in the streets, with plenty of property damage.

And when they win big, there is also rioting in the streets, with plenty
of property damage. A reassuring consistency, methinks.

Blair P. Houghton
October 22nd 04, 05:50 AM
Ted > wrote:
>One thing that I particularly enjoyed about the Red Sox fans' emotional
>attachment to the team is that when the Sox lose a big game, there's
>rioting in the streets, with plenty of property damage.
>
>And when they win big, there is also rioting in the streets, with plenty
>of property damage. A reassuring consistency, methinks.

Um, in Boston, that's known as afternoon traffic.

--Blair
"Just a point of local culture."

Appkiller
October 22nd 04, 06:49 PM
"Kyle.B.H" > wrote in message

> You moving here? Or are you lamenting the possibility of hearing for four
> years the blather of a haughty, French-looking, Massachusetts Democrat?

Does B.H. stand for Butt Head? Or perhaps Bung Hole?

App

Michael J. Klein
October 23rd 04, 03:50 AM
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 04:50:01 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Ted > wrote:
>>One thing that I particularly enjoyed about the Red Sox fans' emotional
>>attachment to the team is that when the Sox lose a big game, there's
>>rioting in the streets, with plenty of property damage.
>>
>>And when they win big, there is also rioting in the streets, with plenty
>>of property damage. A reassuring consistency, methinks.
>

>Um, in Boston, that's known as afternoon traffic.
>
> --Blair
> "Just a point of local culture."

I'm so glad I moved. I never hear about baseball games anymore.
Traffic is another story.

Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

Ken Pisichko
October 23rd 04, 06:55 AM
"Kyle.B.H" wrote:

> ..... haughty, French-looking, ......

And just how does a haughty cyclist look? Does he ride a penny farthing when
looking that way? If so then I understand.

French-looking?? Elaborate please. What does his looks have to do with this
thread. Do all French speakers look French? How about if you speak both
french and English? Does that mean you look French and English?

How can that be? I thought Sheldon was an American? I gather that you must
agree because you state his political orientation. Does that mean he is
registered? How do the registered look as compared to the un-registered.
Heaven help Sheldon if he spoke 3 languages! What would he look like then?

Oh, Americans like yourself make such confusing statements. Perhaps you can
explain what Sheldon actually looks like and what bicycles he does ride.

Sheldon, perhaps you will be as amused as everyone else with the silly
explanations put forth by the poster as he/she tries to respond to my
questions. At this point I am not at all amused, just questioning the inept
(to me) description of Sheldon.

Ken

October 23rd 04, 07:21 AM
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:55:44 -0500, Ken Pisichko
> wrote:

>"Kyle.B.H" wrote:
>
>> ..... haughty, French-looking, ......
>
>And just how does a haughty cyclist look? Does he ride a penny farthing when
>looking that way? If so then I understand.
>
>French-looking?? Elaborate please. What does his looks have to do with this
>thread. Do all French speakers look French? How about if you speak both
>french and English? Does that mean you look French and English?
>

>How can that be? I thought Sheldon was an American? I gather that you must
>agree because you state his political orientation. Does that mean he is
>registered? How do the registered look as compared to the un-registered.
>Heaven help Sheldon if he spoke 3 languages! What would he look like then?
>
>Oh, Americans like yourself make such confusing statements. Perhaps you can
>explain what Sheldon actually looks like and what bicycles he does ride.
>
>Sheldon, perhaps you will be as amused as everyone else with the silly
>explanations put forth by the poster as he/she tries to respond to my
>questions. At this point I am not at all amused, just questioning the inept
>(to me) description of Sheldon.
>
>Ken

Dear Ken,

To prevent any further confused ill-will, Kyle was alluding
to Senator Kerry, not to Sheldon Brown:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110005796

James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal has made a running
joke of the phrase "haughty, French-looking" for months.

Carl Fogel

Ken Pisichko
October 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
Thanks for this clarification.

wrote:

> To prevent any further confused ill-will, Kyle was alluding
> to Senator Kerry, not to Sheldon Brown:

Sheldon Brown
October 24th 04, 05:13 AM

Carl Fogel wrote:

> To prevent any further confused ill-will, Kyle was alluding
> to Senator Kerry, not to Sheldon Brown:
>
> http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110005796
>
> James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal has made a running
> joke of the phrase "haughty, French-looking" for months.

Dear Carl,

I'm Crushed! I thought he was talking about me!

I even wore my beret to the Boston Symphony Orchestra concert earlier
this evening. (James Levine knocked Mahler's 8th out of the park*)

Perhaps I was more French lookig before I dyed my beard red...

Sheldon "Boston (part) Irish Democrat" Brown

*--oops, sorry, baseball metaphors are inescapable in this town at the
moment...
| I'm not a member of any organized political party, |
| I'm a Democrat! -- Will Rogers (1879-1935) |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

October 24th 04, 05:59 AM
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:13:30 -0400, Sheldon Brown
> wrote:

>Kyle.B.H wrote of:
>
> > the blather of a haughty, French-looking, Massachusetts Democrat?
> >
>Carl Fogel wrote:
>>
>> To prevent any further confused ill-will, Kyle was alluding
>> to Senator Kerry, not to Sheldon Brown:
>>
>> http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110005796
>>
>> James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal has made a running
>> joke of the phrase "haughty, French-looking" for months.
>
>Dear Carl,
>
>I'm Crushed! I thought he was talking about me!
>
>I even wore my beret to the Boston Symphony Orchestra concert earlier
>this evening. (James Levine knocked Mahler's 8th out of the park*)
>
>Perhaps I was more French lookig before I dyed my beard red...
>
>Sheldon "Boston (part) Irish Democrat" Brown
>
>*--oops, sorry, baseball metaphors are inescapable in this town at the
>moment...
>+------------------------------------------------------+
>| I'm not a member of any organized political party, |
>| I'm a Democrat! -- Will Rogers (1879-1935) |
>+------------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Dear Sheldon,

I sincerely hope that your term is not limited to the mere
four years that Kyle mentioned.

As for the concert, who was swinging the lumber tonight in
the string section?

Carl "Crushed" Fogel

Sheldon Brown
October 24th 04, 11:25 PM
I wrote:

>>I even wore my beret to the Boston Symphony Orchestra concert earlier
>>this evening. (James Levine knocked Mahler's 8th out of the park*)

>>*--oops, sorry, baseball metaphors are inescapable in this town at the
>>moment...

Carl Fogel asked:

> As for the concert, who was swinging the lumber tonight in
> the string section?

Dear Carl,

Symphony being a team sport, there were some 59 lumber swingers
involved. One of them, #4 'cello, was Harris Cyclery alum Mike Jojatu.

It was a bit of a rip-off onacounta the "Symphony of a Thousand"
actually only had about 300 players on stage (actually, not all on
stage--there was a second brass section down at the end of the second
balcony.

Here's a photo:

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/journal-0409.html#102304

Sheldon "James Levine Fan" Brown
| I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, |
| especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide