PDA

View Full Version : Barnett or UBI

Trek7500
October 22nd 04, 05:41 AM
I am considering both Barnett and UBI to get myself up to speed
quickly as a mechanic. I am looking to hear from people who have
personal experience with one or the other or even better with both.

Which school did you attend?

What course(s) did you take?

What did you think of the instructors?

Did they answer questions well?

How did employers perceive the value of their training?

Where did you stay during the training?

Did you like your accomodations?

How did you like the town? Was it an enjoyable experience?

Jens Kurt Heycke
October 22nd 04, 04:59 PM
I can only address the last question. I live in Ashland, where UBI is and
it's a fantastic place to live and ride. Excellent road and Mtn biking.
Dec-Feb can be rainy and sometime snowy, however.

"Trek7500" > wrote in message
m...
> I am considering both Barnett and UBI to get myself up to speed
> quickly as a mechanic. I am looking to hear from people who have
> personal experience with one or the other or even better with both.
>
> Which school did you attend?
>
> What course(s) did you take?
>
> What did you think of the instructors?
>
> Did they answer questions well?
>
> How did employers perceive the value of their training?
>
> Where did you stay during the training?
>
> Did you like your accomodations?
>
> How did you like the town? Was it an enjoyable experience?

Dan Burkhart
October 23rd 04, 03:24 AM
Trek7500 Wrote:
> I am considering both Barnett and UBI to get myself up to speed
> quickly as a mechanic. I am looking to hear from people who have
> personal experience with one or the other or even better with both.
>
> Which school did you attend?
>
> What course(s) did you take?
>
> What did you think of the instructors?
>
> Did they answer questions well?
>
> How did employers perceive the value of their training?
>
> Where did you stay during the training?
>
> Did you like your accomodations?
>
> How did you like the town? Was it an enjoyable experience?

I attended the Barnett school in April/May this year. I took the 2
week repair and overhaul course which is what I reccomend if you have
any prior knowlege or experience at all. If you do not, it might be a
good idea to take the basic assembly and maintenance course which runs
the week prior to the BRO.
I found the course to be comprehensive, well structured, and very well
delivered by knowlegable instructors. I came out of it with confidence
to handle all phases of bicycle service with confidence, from wheel
building to bearing overhauls, and every thing in between.
They adhere rigidly to a set schedule to ensure all subjects are
covered. Students are evaluated at every step in a fast paced, intense
atmosphere that keeps them always involved, and never bored. The days
flew by, the knowlege and skills were aquired at a phenomenal rate.
I could probably write a book about the experience, but I would use up
more than my share of band width to post it here.
I stayed at the Red Wing motel in Manitou Springs. They give special
rates to Barnett students. They also have kitchenetts so you can save
some money on living expenses. The rates are better if you go in the
off season. (Before June, or after September)
I didn't range too far afield, but the local riding is awsome. There
is some great road riding in the Garden of the Gods park which is right
in the back yard of the Red Wing motel, and for some terrific single
track, the gold camp trail is just a short ride away.
If you want to know more, e-mail me.

--
Dan Burkhart

Google