View Full Version : Big bicycle wheel

Marty Wallace
October 27th 04, 06:58 AM
Worlds biggest bike wheel.

Anyone know what this place is for?

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1

Marty

October 27th 04, 07:35 AM
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:58:21 +0800, "Marty Wallace"
> wrote:

>Worlds biggest bike wheel.
>
>Anyone know what this place is for?
>
>http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1
>
>Marty

Dear Marty,

Looks like the Goodyear Proving Grounds for tire testing.

Switch your link from aerial photo to topo map, enlarge, and
note legend and Texas Highway 277 running northeast past it.

Then search this page:

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sast/cda/article_print/1,1983,SAST_4927_1553945_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

Carl Fogel

Marty Wallace
October 27th 04, 07:38 AM
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:58:21 +0800, "Marty Wallace"
> > wrote:
>
> >Worlds biggest bike wheel.
> >
> >Anyone know what this place is for?
> >

>http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&
w=1

> >Marty
> >

> Dear Marty,
>
> Looks like the Goodyear Proving Grounds for tire testing.
>
> Switch your link from aerial photo to topo map, enlarge, and
> note legend and Texas Highway 277 running northeast past it.
>
> Then search this page:

http://www.gosanangelo.com/sast/cda/article_print/1,1983,SAST_4927_1553945_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

> Carl Fogel

Good work Carl. Mind you, it's a mighty big tyre they're testing. Looks like
a carbon blade fork and Shimano brake that they've got on the test setup.

Marty

October 27th 04, 08:02 AM
Marty Wallace writes:

> Worlds biggest bike wheel.

> Anyone know what this place is for?

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1

It seems to be a test track for cars or trucks as is more visible in
this view:

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=14&x=117&y=1093&z=14&w=2

Jobst Brandt

Zog The Undeniable
October 27th 04, 09:55 AM
Marty Wallace wrote:

> Worlds biggest bike wheel.

This one is more like a real bicycle wheel, and works in the same way:

http://www.arman.kz/images/london%20eye.jpg

Radial spoking is OK in this instance because it's driven at the rim.

Marty Wallace
October 27th 04, 11:17 AM
"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Marty Wallace wrote:
>
> > Worlds biggest bike wheel.
>
> This one is more like a real bicycle wheel, and works in the same way:
>
> http://www.arman.kz/images/london%20eye.jpg
>
> Radial spoking is OK in this instance because it's driven at the rim.

I hope they've used a bit of Loctite on the nipples. Those radial spokes
need something like that to stop them working loose.

Marty

Terry Morse
October 27th 04, 02:45 PM
Zog The Undeniable > wrote:

> This one is more like a real bicycle wheel, and works in the same way:
>
> http://www.arman.kz/images/london%20eye.jpg

Except that the rim hangs from the spokes, which we all know is just
wrong.

Dave Kahn
October 27th 04, 06:09 PM
"Marty Wallace" > wrote in message >...

> Worlds biggest bike wheel.

This is much smaller, but at least it's a real wheel that actually
rotates, and not just a tracing on the ground.

http://www.indulgencecharters.co.uk/ba-london-eye.htm

--
Dave...

Mike Beauchamp
October 27th 04, 07:56 PM
My guess is particle accellerator :)

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

"Marty Wallace" > wrote in message
om.au...
> Worlds biggest bike wheel.
>
> Anyone know what this place is for?
>

> http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1
>
> Marty

Marty Wallace
October 28th 04, 12:56 AM
"Mike Beauchamp" > wrote in message
> My guess is particle accellerator :)
>
> Mike
> http://mikebeauchamp.com
>
> "Marty Wallace" > wrote in message
> om.au...
> > Worlds biggest bike wheel.
> >
> > Anyone know what this place is for?

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&w=1

> > Marty

Here's the real answer.

Dear Marty,

That is the old track at the Goodyear Tire proving grounds. The big
circle was the road they used to test the tires and the spokes were the
fire lanes that cut through the vegetation. The new track is the figure
8 you see to the left of the circle.

Eve Keim
Visitor Center Coordinator
418 W. Ave B
San Angelo, TX 76903
325-655-4136

Kerry Montgomery
October 28th 04, 05:09 AM
Marty Wallace wrote in message

>"Mike Beauchamp" > wrote in message
>> My guess is particle accellerator :)
>>
>> Mike
>> http://mikebeauchamp.com
>>
>> "Marty Wallace" > wrote in message
>> om.au...
>> > Worlds biggest bike wheel.
>> >
>> > Anyone know what this place is for?
>> >

>http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=234&y=2187&z=14&
w=1

>> > Marty
>> >

>Here's the real answer.
>
>Dear Marty,
>
>That is the old track at the Goodyear Tire proving grounds. The big
>circle was the road they used to test the tires and the spokes were the
>fire lanes that cut through the vegetation. The new track is the figure
>8 you see to the left of the circle.
>

>Eve Keim
>Visitor Center Coordinator
>418 W. Ave B
>San Angelo, TX 76903
>325-655-4136

These are smaller yet, but are parts of a real bicycle (if a bicycle is a
two-wheeled human powered vehicle).
http://fst.orst.edu/bob_durst/
Kerry

Jeff Wills
October 29th 04, 12:23 AM
"Kerry Montgomery" > wrote in message >...
> These are smaller yet, but are parts of a real bicycle (if a bicycle is a
> two-wheeled human powered vehicle).
> http://fst.orst.edu/bob_durst/
> Kerry

Technically, Bob Durst's machine is a dicycle- two wheels
side-by-side. I think the Muckle Flugga's wheels are bigger:
http://www.kempf.com/~mrk/fun/smf/flugga.htm , but since there's four,
I don't really know what to call it.

Jeff

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m
November 1st 04, 05:54 AM
Jeff Wills wrote:

> I think the Muckle Flugga's wheels are bigger:
> http://www.kempf.com/~mrk/fun/smf/flugga.htm
> but since there's four, I don't really know what to call it.

That is a quadricycle.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home