PDA

View Full Version : Re: TTT

David Ryan
July 9th 03, 03:04 PM
jc6239 wrote:

> > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order
> Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
>
> Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need
> to defend it) before the mountains?

You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peņa's jersey?
They won't kill themselves but it's not all about Lance.

Kurgan Gringioni
July 9th 03, 03:29 PM
"David Ryan" > wrote in message
> jc6239 wrote:
> >
> > > If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan
order
> > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?<
> >
> > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
need
> > to defend it) before the mountains?
>
> You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peņa's jersey?

At best, they'll pretend.

Remember when Bruyneel played chicken w/ Telekom the year Kivilev and
company gained 35 minutes?

Tom Nakashima
July 9th 03, 05:50 PM
It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid his
dues more than once.
-tom

"Bobb Head" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> David Ryan > wrote:

> > > Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5
man?<

> > > Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the
need
> > > to defend it) before the mountains?
> >
> > You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peņa's jersey?
> > They won't kill themselves but it's not all about Lance.
>
> Here's what I want to know...
>
> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to
> finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results
> the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the
> yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on,
> say, the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for
> green jersey contenders, but it would mean containing early breakaways.
>
> -- Bobb

Tom Nakashima
July 9th 03, 08:37 PM
Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points;
-6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send Hincapie with the breakaways,
keep Ekimov with the team.
-tom

"Steve McGinty" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:50:24 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
> > wrote:
>
> >It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid
his
> >dues more than once.
> >-tom
> >
> >"Bobb Head" > wrote in message

> >order
> >man?<

> >need

> >> Here's what I want to know...
> >>
> >> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind,
> >> finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those
results
> >> the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the
> >> yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on,
> >> say, the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for
> >> green jersey contenders, but it would mean containing early breakaways.
> >>
> >> -- Bobb
> >
> The point of the TTT was to show they are strongest team and to gain
> what time they could on the other GC contestants. The interesting
> difference this year is that the mountains come so early and rather
> than orchestrate a "minions" break over the next couple of days USP
> might want to hold the jersey from now to the end. If so they'll
> employ a K.I.S.S. approach and won't be sharing it around.
>
> Regards!
> Stephen

Tom Nakashima
July 9th 03, 09:01 PM
who says you have to win those sprints?
finishing 3rd in three will do it, and finishing 3rd in two might be enough,
providing
Pena loses -1 sec. Lance and George in yellow?
-tom

"Raptor" > wrote in message ...
> Bobb Head wrote:
> >
> > Here's what I want to know...
> >
> > Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to
> > finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results
> > the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the
> > yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on,
> > say, the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for
> > green jersey contenders, but it would mean containing early breakaways.
> >
> > -- Bobb
>
> Can either of them expect to win those sprints? Not from what I know.
>
> --
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
> "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
> our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
> --Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Stewart Fleming
July 9th 03, 09:54 PM
Bobb Head wrote:

> Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to
> finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results
> the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the

No.

Stewart Fleming
July 9th 03, 10:09 PM
Tom Nakashima wrote:
> Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points;
> -6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send Hincapie with the breakaways,
> keep Ekimov with the team.

Then McEwen's and Zabel's teams would chase immediately. You'd end up
with a stage where there was no long breakaway, more frequent attacks
and a situation that would be HARDER for USPS to control.

Bill Davidson
July 14th 03, 08:31 AM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> I was surprised - I thought that only die-hard fans would appreciate TTT.

A friend of mine who knows nothing about cycling also mentioned finding
the TTT the most interesting.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

K. J. Papai
July 24th 03, 09:52 PM
Bill Davidson > wrote in message news:<50tQa.1801$Ze.451@fed1read03>...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > I was surprised - I thought that only die-hard fans would appreciate TTT.
>
> A friend of mine who knows nothing about cycling also mentioned finding
> the TTT the most interesting.

My wife likes the TTT a lot too. Gets to see all those
nicely colored outfits doing a nice, 9-way dance on the asphalt.

(I hope Liggett steals my words and that Bobke doesn't)

-KJP

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home