PDA

View Full Version : The Word of the Day for July 9 is...

Tom Schulenburg
July 9th 03, 04:48 PM
From Merriam-Webster:

<BEGIN>

The Word of the Day for July 9 is:

peloton \peh-luh-TAHN\ noun
: the main body of riders in a bicycle race

Example sentence:
Thousands of cycling fans lined the race route, relaxing in
lawn chairs as they waited for the peloton to speed by.

Did you know?
If you've ever watched the Tour de France on television,
you've seen plenty of the peloton, the seemingly endless flow of
brightly colored riders making up the central group. You may
have also gained some inadvertent insight into the word itself,
which as you may have guessed is French in origin. In
French, "peloton" literally means "ball," but it is most often
used with the meaning "group." It's frequently used in the
bicycling context, just as in English, but it can also refer to
a group in a marathon or other sporting event. French "peloton"
can also mean "squad" or "platoon," and since we've told you
that you probably won't be too surprised to learn that it is
also the source of our word "platoon."

<END>

Gary
July 9th 03, 09:15 PM
Gosh! I did not know the accent was on the LAST syllable. Thanks.

Tom Schulenburg wrote:

> From Merriam-Webster:
>
> <BEGIN>
>
> The Word of the Day for July 9 is:
>
> peloton \peh-luh-TAHN\ noun
> : the main body of riders in a bicycle race
>
> Example sentence:
> Thousands of cycling fans lined the race route, relaxing in
> lawn chairs as they waited for the peloton to speed by.
>
> Did you know?
> If you've ever watched the Tour de France on television,
> you've seen plenty of the peloton, the seemingly endless flow of
> brightly colored riders making up the central group. You may
> have also gained some inadvertent insight into the word itself,
> which as you may have guessed is French in origin. In
> French, "peloton" literally means "ball," but it is most often
> used with the meaning "group." It's frequently used in the
> bicycling context, just as in English, but it can also refer to
> a group in a marathon or other sporting event. French "peloton"
> can also mean "squad" or "platoon," and since we've told you
> that you probably won't be too surprised to learn that it is
> also the source of our word "platoon."
>
> <END>

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home