PDA

View Full Version : trike hubs

BoiledBeef
January 7th 05, 03:55 PM
Hi,
anyone know where i can get some disk compatible wheel hubs in the UK, for
homebuilt trike, its my first project, i have BMX wheels on the front at the
moment, really strong, with 14mm axle, but i need disks on, i cant stop the
damn thing...
thanx

BoiledBeef, Manchester UK

Peter Clinch
January 7th 05, 04:27 PM
BoiledBeef wrote:

> anyone know where i can get some disk compatible wheel hubs in the UK, for
> homebuilt trike, its my first project, i have BMX wheels on the front at the
> moment, really strong, with 14mm axle, but i need disks on, i cant stop the
> damn thing...

Consider drum brakes too: they're good enough for Windcheetahs, after
all, and cheaper than serious discs. Sturmey and SRAM both make them,
and both should be fine on a trike.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

BoiledBeef
January 7th 05, 05:26 PM
thanx for the advice,

what about the wheel axles?
wont they bent if they are only supported on one side?

before i used the BMX wheels with oversize axles,
i used "normal" wheels, and bent the axles...
i like the look of the SRAM i brake,

Eric Jorgensen
January 7th 05, 05:42 PM
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:26:46 -0000
"BoiledBeef" > wrote:

> thanx for the advice,
>
> what about the wheel axles?
> wont they bent if they are only supported on one side?
>
> before i used the BMX wheels with oversize axles,
> i used "normal" wheels, and bent the axles...
> i like the look of the SRAM i brake,

I recently purchased a set of "boxer" hubs with the intention of
building a tadpole some time this summer. They're designed for a 22mm hub,
and for disc brakes. They only have 3 lugs for the rotors, but in the same
spacing as 6 bolt pattern rotors. I guess we'll see if i've made a horrible
mistake.

But now I'm thinking 22mm is really way too thick. I'm gonna have
multi-pound axles at that point, unless i find, say, a hollow, cro-mo bolt,
or shim it with bronze bushings and use a BMX size or something.

fwiw, these are Hayes hubs i bought from icyclesusa.com, fairly cheaply.
They have 3 bolt pattern disc brakes to match, but the disc brakes are
department store grade.

Eric Jorgensen
January 7th 05, 06:11 PM
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:42:33 -0700
Eric Jorgensen > wrote:

> fwiw, these are Hayes hubs i bought from icyclesusa.com, fairly
> cheaply.
> They have 3 bolt pattern disc brakes to match, but the disc brakes are
> department store grade.

Make that White Industries, not Hayes. sheesh, where the heck is my
brain.

This is probably a better idea, to tell the truth:

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/hufor.htm

tandem hub w/ 6 bolt pattern for the rotor, 20mm axle, available in 32,
36, or 48 hole.

BoiledBeef
January 7th 05, 06:19 PM
thanx Eric

pretty cheap too...

Eric Jorgensen
January 7th 05, 06:21 PM
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:19:18 -0000
"BoiledBeef" > wrote:

> thanx Eric
>
> pretty cheap too...

They also sell an entry level USS SWB for $450 complete, though you'll
pay like $80 for freight. Very nearly the same bike as the Actionbent
Jetstream 1, made by the same factory in taiwan.

Tom Sherman
January 7th 05, 10:32 PM
BoiledBeef wrote:

> Hi,
> anyone know where i can get some disk compatible wheel hubs in the UK, for
> homebuilt trike, its my first project, i have BMX wheels on the front at the
> moment, really strong, with 14mm axle, but i need disks on, i cant stop the
> damn thing...

If you asked Phil Wood, they would likely make some of these for you:
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/df11.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/df12.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/df13.jpg>.

Expect to pay somewhere in the range of 300-350 GBP for a set. :(

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Robert Haston
January 8th 05, 12:15 AM
I'd look into hubs for Cannondale's "Lefty" one-sided fork hubs if you want
light weight disk hubs.

"BoiledBeef" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> anyone know where i can get some disk compatible wheel hubs in the UK, for
> homebuilt trike, its my first project, i have BMX wheels on the front at
> the
> moment, really strong, with 14mm axle, but i need disks on, i cant stop
> the
> damn thing...
> thanx
>
> BoiledBeef, Manchester UK

Mark Jones
January 9th 05, 12:01 AM
BoiledBeef wrote:
> Hi,
> anyone know where i can get some disk compatible wheel hubs in the UK, for
> homebuilt trike, its my first project, i have BMX wheels on the front at the
> moment, really strong, with 14mm axle, but i need disks on, i cant stop the
> damn thing...
> thanx
>
> BoiledBeef, Manchester UK

Try http://www.hpv-shop.co.uk

Mark

Neil Carter
January 9th 05, 04:16 PM
Peter Clinch wrote:
> BoiledBeef wrote:
>
>> anyone know where i can get some disk compatible wheel hubs in the UK,
>> for
>> homebuilt trike, its my first project, i have BMX wheels on the front
>> at the
>> moment, really strong, with 14mm axle, but i need disks on, i cant
>> stop the
>> damn thing...
>

> Consider drum brakes too: they're good enough for Windcheetahs, after
> all, and cheaper than serious discs. Sturmey and SRAM both make them,
> and both should be fine on a trike.
>
> Pete.
We use sturmey hubs for the front of our pedalcars. They use 12mm axles
supported from one side and are completely bomb proof. You can even get
a quick release axle for them.

http://www.pedalcar-shop.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=229

Neil

Google