PDA

View Full Version : Re: Right place at the right time... click!

Ronald
July 14th 03, 10:06 PM
Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.

"info." > wrote in message ...
> http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles
July 14th 03, 10:34 PM
> Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.

It certainly appears to have a rimstrip anyway. And how about the fact that
Beloki doesn't even have his feet on the ground yet? And the Gendarme...
anybody notice that the crash hasn't even registered with him yet?

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Ronald" > wrote in message
> Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.
>
> "info." > wrote in message
> > http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg

Joe C
July 15th 03, 03:00 AM
If I remember the video right, the Gendarme was focusing more on LA, he blew
right by him.

jlc
"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" > wrote
in message .. .
> > Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.
>
> It certainly appears to have a rimstrip anyway. And how about the fact
that
> Beloki doesn't even have his feet on the ground yet? And the Gendarme...
> anybody notice that the crash hasn't even registered with him yet?
>
> --Mike--
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
>
> "Ronald" > wrote in message
> > Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.
> >
> > "info." > wrote in message
> > > http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg

Nick Burns
July 15th 03, 03:31 AM
Say Mike,

Do you know how much Lance's new bike weighs and if he is using the front
STI lever?

TIA

Brian Phillips
July 15th 03, 05:23 AM
"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" > wrote
in message .. .
> > Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.
>
> It certainly appears to have a rimstrip anyway. And how about the fact
that
> Beloki doesn't even have his feet on the ground yet? And the Gendarme...
> anybody notice that the crash hasn't even registered with him yet?

Looks that way in the photo, but after watching the film again, it looks
like he's more focused on the riders coming down the hill who are heading
towards the crash. The crash happened right in front of him, then moved
right next to him as the photo was shot, so it's hard to imagine that he
wasn't aware of it.

Bret Wade
July 15th 03, 05:33 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

>>Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.
>

> It certainly appears to have a rimstrip anyway. And how about the fact that
> Beloki doesn't even have his feet on the ground yet? And the Gendarme...
> anybody notice that the crash hasn't even registered with him yet?

The gendarme was very cool. He took a step backwards as Lance passed to
give him room. Then as the picture was taken, he had is eyes on an
Euskaltel rider that was headed his way. Once that rider came to a stop
on the side of the road, the gendarme stepped forward to help Beloki.

Bret (replayed it on my Tivo)

Mike Jacoubowsky
July 15th 03, 07:17 AM
> Looks that way in the photo, but after watching the film again, it looks
> like he's more focused on the riders coming down the hill who are heading
> towards the crash. The crash happened right in front of him, then moved
> right next to him as the photo was shot, so it's hard to imagine that he
> wasn't aware of it.

Yep, I saw the same thing when I watched the TV coverage later in the day.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Brian Phillips" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...

> "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" > wrote
> in message .. .
> > > Beloki's rear looks like a clincher rim.
> >
> > It certainly appears to have a rimstrip anyway. And how about the fact
> that
> > Beloki doesn't even have his feet on the ground yet? And the
Gendarme...
> > anybody notice that the crash hasn't even registered with him yet?
>
> Looks that way in the photo, but after watching the film again, it looks
> like he's more focused on the riders coming down the hill who are heading
> towards the crash. The crash happened right in front of him, then moved
> right next to him as the photo was shot, so it's hard to imagine that he
> wasn't aware of it.

Todd Kuzma
July 15th 03, 08:57 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> To me, that looks like Velox rim tape.
>
> Look at the rim. Looks like a clincher to me.

The fact that most of the tire is still attached to the rim
suggests that it is a tubular. Additionally, the sidewalls
of the rim are black rather than silver suggesting that the
wheels are carbon-rimmed tubulars that Beloki had been
riding earlier.

It's difficult to make out the bed of the rim. It could be
Velox. It could be the tubular base tape. It could be the
glue.

Todd Kuzma
Heron Bicycles
Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com
http://www.tullios.com

brian roth
July 15th 03, 09:33 PM
Ewoud Dronkert > wrote in message

> This one?
> http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycling/beloki14072003.jpg

Yes!

Kurgan Gringioni
July 15th 03, 10:04 PM
"Todd Kuzma" > wrote in message
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>
> > To me, that looks like Velox rim tape.
> >
> > Look at the rim. Looks like a clincher to me.
>
> The fact that most of the tire is still attached to the rim
> suggests that it is a tubular. Additionally, the sidewalls
> of the rim are black rather than silver suggesting that the
> wheels are carbon-rimmed tubulars that Beloki had been
> riding earlier.
>
> It's difficult to make out the bed of the rim. It could be
> Velox. It could be the tubular base tape. It could be the
> glue.

Look at the rim itself, where the bead of the clincher seats.

Todd Kuzma
July 15th 03, 11:24 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Todd Kuzma" > wrote in message

>>It's difficult to make out the bed of the rim. It could be
>>Velox. It could be the tubular base tape. It could be the
>>glue.
>
> Look at the rim itself, where the bead of the clincher seats.

Yes, there is a shadow there, but it's hard to tell if it is
a clincher bead. Tubular rims also have a lip there, but it
is not as pronounced. Take a look at the rim profile of the
Hyperon on the Campy website:
<http://www.campagnolo.com/wheels.php?gid=1&cid=1>

The amount of glare on the rim in the Beloki photos looks
like the gloss surface of the Hyperon rim. Additionally,
the "Campagnolo" logo on the rim looks to be about the same
size as the silver logo/glare on the front wheel. Top it
off with the fact that Beloki WAS riding these wheels earlier.

It could be a clincher, but a close look at the details
seems to point to Beloki's Hyperon tubulars.

Todd Kuzma

warren
July 15th 03, 11:27 PM
In article >, Kurgan
Gringioni > wrote:

> "Ewoud Dronkert" > wrote in message
> fn.de...
> > >
> > >It's tubular. You can just see it re-attaching to the rim by the brake
> > >bridge. There is a better photo in one of the other threads.....
> >
> > This one?
> > http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycling/beloki14072003.jpg
>

> To me, that looks like Velox rim tape.
>

> Look at the rim. Looks like a clincher to me.

It does to me as well, but when a clincher is partly off the rim it
makes a straight line (chord) across the arc, but a tubular tends to
look just like the one in the photo.

-WG

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home