PDA

View Full Version : Re: High Resting HR - cause for concern?

i2ambler
July 15th 03, 03:11 AM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:
> > dimitri_z > wrote:
> > : I have checked the internet and groups with no real answer and i am
> > : still a little worried. I am a male, 30 year old of reasonable
> > : fitness i.e. I can ride a bike 100km at around 30km/h avg speed, can
> > : easilly run at a nice pace for over an hour, and can run 5km in 20
> > : minutes. I smoke about 5 cigarettes per day and eat well. I just
> > : bought an HRM.
> >
> > You sound a bit like me... wish I was that fast on the bike. I never
> > smoked though, been vegetarian for ~15 years, but I indulge
> >
> > : Resting rate is 70 - 80 bpm (not the 'wake-up' reading, just my
> > : normal rate) I can work out at 150 - 160 bpm for over 1/2 hour I get
> > : back down to 110 bpm within a few minutes of strenuous exercise I
> > : cannot stay over 180 bpm for very long (nausea / dizziness sets in)
> >
> > That sounds pretty close to my readings. My max is 200, a bit high,
> > certainly within normal and prolly caused by genetics. My morning rate
> > in bed can be as low as 47 beats, seems I can now work out at 160 for
> > 1.5 hours and at 150 for many more hours... Like you, my recovery is
> > maybe not very rapid...
> >
> > I had some medical data gathered regarding my heart, and it indicated
> > my heart is healthy...
> >
> > : Should I be worried or consult a doctor or is it 'genetic' for me to
> > : have a higher HR?
> >
> > I see no reason to worry in this. If your HRM has beat-to-beat
> > recording, you could get a graph where you can see any missing beats
> > or extra beats in your pulse as peaks or dips. If you'd get that
> > stuff, and it's obviously not caused by technical factors, then I'd
> > see a doctor... but I don't think it's likely for you.
> First, I'd get a true rest reading, the "first in the morning"
> kinda thing.
> Second, your rest rate is your rest rate. Whatever it is, it can usually
> be trained downward, and 70-80 bpm is high for someone as fit as
> yourself (after a year on the bike my rest HR has dropped from the low
> 70s to the mid 50s), but that may not mean much.
> Third, could you be overtraining? A high rest heart rate is the
> classic sign of overtraining, and could be exactly what is causing
> these symptoms.
> I'm not a doctor, see yours for a checkup, etc. etc....
> --
> Ryan Cousineau,
> http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousinehttp://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President,
> Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

First of all, you checked your heart rate at a BBQ, where you are
walking around ,talking, and possibly drinking. If I am walking around
and bsing my heart rate is at 80 also.. If I sit down and relax for 10
minutes and take it, its down to 58..

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home