PDA

View Full Version : Biking Cancun

Naaman Landers Jr
January 16th 05, 05:27 PM
Any tips or thoughts about biking Cancun and the surrounding area? I am
going down next month.

January 17th 05, 06:56 PM
Naaman Landers Jr wrote:
> Any tips or thoughts about biking Cancun and the surrounding area? I
am
> going down next month.

I biked in the Yucatan about 5 years ago. I wasn't in Cancun. I biked
around Cozumel, and from Playa del Carmen south to Tulum, then west to
Coba, then to Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Izamal, Merida, and south to
the Pu'uc hills region SW of Merida. Most of the Yucatan was very nice
for cycling, but the Caribbean coast was the worst part, with lots of
traffic. However, because there was a good paved shoulder down to
Tulum, it wasn't absolutely awful. Riding around Cozumel, made for a
very nice day trip, however. The nicest part of the Yucatan was the
Pu'uc Hills region, however the main road going west from Merida to
reach it was unpleasant and not that safe due to heavy traffic
including lots of trucks. I'd advise folks to take a bus for that
fairly brief portion. Once we got off the main road, it was very nice.
Similarly, a fairly short stretch due east of Valladolid to where the
road comes up from Coba had too much traffic, too. The rest of the
road to and from Coba was very nice.

It is very easy to put your bike on a bus in the Yucatan and throughout
Mexico. Most buses have large luggage areas. I would urge you to take
advantage of that. We flew in and out of Merida, biked to the Pu'uc
Hills region, then took a bus all the way to the Caribbean coast, then
gradually biked back to Merida.

Chuck Anderson
January 22nd 05, 06:07 PM
wrote:

>Naaman Landers Jr wrote:
>

>>Any tips or thoughts about biking Cancun and the surrounding area? I
>>

>am
>

>>going down next month.
>>

>I biked in the Yucatan about 5 years ago. I wasn't in Cancun. I biked
>around Cozumel, and from Playa del Carmen south to Tulum, then west to
>Coba, then to Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Izamal, Merida, and south to
>the Pu'uc hills region SW of Merida. Most of the Yucatan was very nice
>for cycling, but the Caribbean coast was the worst part, with lots of
>traffic. However, because there was a good paved shoulder down to
>Tulum, it wasn't absolutely awful. Riding around Cozumel, made for a
>very nice day trip, however. The nicest part of the Yucatan was the
>Pu'uc Hills region, however the main road going west from Merida to
>reach it was unpleasant and not that safe due to heavy traffic
>including lots of trucks. I'd advise folks to take a bus for that
>fairly brief portion. Once we got off the main road, it was very nice.
>Similarly, a fairly short stretch due east of Valladolid to where the
>road comes up from Coba had too much traffic, too. The rest of the
>road to and from Coba was very nice.
>
>It is very easy to put your bike on a bus in the Yucatan and throughout
>Mexico. Most buses have large luggage areas. I would urge you to take
>advantage of that. We flew in and out of Merida, biked to the Pu'uc
>Hills region, then took a bus all the way to the Caribbean coast, then
>gradually biked back to Merida.

[Sorry to take so long, ....] I just wanted to thank you for this
informative post. I have filed it away. I have always wanted to cycle
the Yucatan. Should make a great, cheap winter get away.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home