PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot frames - genius or gimmick?

Andrew Swan
July 17th 03, 01:47 PM
They look weird with 1/3 of the frame "missing", but some guy let me
ride his for a few minutes, and it felt great; light and comfortable ...
but what are they like for road racing? Anyone have any first hand
experience (positive or otherwise)?

Here's the URL for the uninitiated:
http://www.slingshotbikes.com/showroom/road/standard.cfm

&roo

Ryan M. Hare
July 17th 03, 05:49 PM
"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> They look weird with 1/3 of the frame "missing", but some guy let me
> ride his for a few minutes, and it felt great; light and comfortable ...
> but what are they like for road racing? Anyone have any first hand
> experience (positive or otherwise)?
>
> Here's the URL for the uninitiated:
> http://www.slingshotbikes.com/showroom/road/standard.cfm

I knew a guy who owned one of those. He is a real ****ing asshole. Even
rbr-regulars would take pause at what a boring, self-absorbed jerk the guy
is.

Unfortunately, I can't shake my impression of the owner from the impression
of the bike. Even without that bit of prejudice, that bike seems dubious at
best.

Ryan

Spees
July 17th 03, 08:47 PM
(Scribe2b) wrote in message >...
> raced one in dirt. an MTB in the early 90's. raced it down the kamikaze too.
> it was a fast bike overall.they suffer a bit of lateral play in turns but
> sprint up nicely and climb dirt really well. they feel like a bike with about
> 1-inch of travel in the rear. for road riding? never tried one there.
> jc

I had a road frame for about 2 seasons. It probably cornered better
than any bike I had. However, standing to sprint or climb really
moved the rear end around. I turned it into a TT bike and it was
perfect.

Scott

Deeznuts
July 17th 03, 09:19 PM
Andrew Swan > wrote in message >...
> They look weird with 1/3 of the frame "missing", but some guy let me
> ride his for a few minutes, and it felt great; light and comfortable ...
> but what are they like for road racing? Anyone have any first hand
> experience (positive or otherwise)?
>
> Here's the URL for the uninitiated:
> http://www.slingshotbikes.com/showroom/road/standard.cfm
>
> &roo