PDA

View Full Version : To the <10 people still here

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 01:01 AM
If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars
and regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until
it dies completely?

--
Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth

Ben Fox
February 3rd 05, 01:55 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars
> and regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until
> it dies completely?
>
> --
> Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth

Tom,

I sometimes read the posts here ,but don't answer or initiate any new posts
because it really has nothing to do with recumbents any longer.

I am surprised you haven't migrated to the BROL site,at least the talk is
about recumbents.

I believe there's even an " Ed Gin" posts there, and this one is always a
perfect gentleman!

Regards,

Ben Fox

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 02:10 AM
Ben Fox wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>
>>If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars
>>and regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until
>>it dies completely?
>>
>>--
>>Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth
>>

> Tom,
>
> I sometimes read the posts here ,but don't answer or initiate any new posts
> because it really has nothing to do with recumbents any longer.
>
> I am surprised you haven't migrated to the BROL site,at least the talk is
> about recumbents.
>
> I believe there's even an " Ed Gin" posts there, and this one is always a
> perfect gentleman!

Ben,

Are you still riding the Catrike Road, or did you sell it and buy
something else?

[Ben bought a used bike from someone who used to be an
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent regular. This bike was infected with the
recumbentitus virus, which causes the owner to frequently buy and sell
recumbent bicycles and trikes. ;)]

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

bent_pilot
February 3rd 05, 02:49 AM
I'm still here Tom and I don't engage in the political stuff anyway so I
don't want to be accused of ****ing on the group. The gnome from Minneysoda
has been in my KF for years and I'd never see his **** unless I read one of
your posts with his nonsense quoted in your post. We seem to have drifted
from the constantly boring newbe posts that we all kept answering with some
level of maturity because some, most, of us seemed to be interested in our
cool and somewhat unorthadox machines and wanted to grow the wierdness. ARBR
with its enrollment process and censorship obviously fits a lot of peoples
needs and adequately protects them from free speech.

Now on to the good bent bike stuff.

How can the Fastback Designs Carbon L hydro bladder be improved? Make it
from an insulated laminate, or make it a tad bigger so an "Unbottle" will
fit the bag. As cool as the thing is, I've been spoiled by having cold water
on hot summer rides, and with the CLS hanging so close to the road I'm
afraid I might have to go back to dropping the Unbottle in a pannier.

B_P

"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars and
> regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until it
> dies completely?
>
> --
> Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 03:07 AM
Harv the bent_pilot wrote:

> How can the Fastback Designs Carbon L hydro bladder be improved? Make it
> from an insulated laminate, or make it a tad bigger so an "Unbottle" will
> fit the bag. As cool as the thing is, I've been spoiled by having cold water
> on hot summer rides, and with the CLS hanging so close to the road I'm
> afraid I might have to go back to dropping the Unbottle in a pannier.

Harv,

I see a "Carbon" and a "Carbon LS" model on this page, but no "Carbon
L": <http://www.fastbacksystem.com/hydrationhomepage1.html>.

After attempting to visualize a Carbon LS
<http://www.fastbacksystem.com/carbonLSpage.html> on a Speedmachine, I
think it would be helpful if you could post a picture.

Is the "Unbottle" to long or to wide to fit? Would the Carbon GP
<http://www.fastbacksystem.com/carbonGPpage.html> be an alternative to
the Unbottle and pannier?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

bent_pilot
February 3rd 05, 03:50 AM
snip>> on hot summer rides, and with the CLS hanging so close to the road
I'm
>> afraid I might have to go back to dropping the Unbottle in a pannier.
>
> Harv,
>
> I see a "Carbon" and a "Carbon LS" model on this page, but no "Carbon L":
> <http://www.fastbacksystem.com/hydrationhomepage1.html>.

It is the LS, but the S is certainly superfluous, except for some marketing
cachet.

> After attempting to visualize a Carbon LS
> <http://www.fastbacksystem.com/carbonLSpage.html> on a Speedmachine, I
> think it would be helpful if you could post a picture.

Not something that I could do in a timely enough manner to have any meaning
in several. many days when this thread peters out. It sits pretty much the
same on the Speedmachine as it does on all the Barons, NoComs and other
assorted low and lowish racers with hard shell seats. It's nestled along and
under the left side of the seat shell, away from the chain and suspension
bits.

> Is the "Unbottle" to long or to wide to fit? Would the Carbon GP
> <http://www.fastbacksystem.com/carbonGPpage.html> be an alternative to the
> Unbottle and pannier?

I still use the rack for one pannier and I don't think there's room for the
CGP, and I already have an Unbottle, a new wide mouth bladder, and the CLS.
No budget left for another tsatske for the bike.

I did a dry run to check fit and it looks like the Unbottle is too big
girthwise (kinda like me:o) ) It's a tight fit with a naked Camelback wide
mouth bladder. It might just take more pushing and cursing to get an
insulated bag inside the CLS, maybe giving up some fluid capacity. For an
old fat guy like me, ice water is a necessity to keep riding when the temps
gets into the upper eighties and nineties (to the thirties for you Celcius
users).

Before you say it, I know I could email my comments to Fastback Designs, but
hell's bells, that wouldn't be the ARBR way. First comes the discussion,
then the action.
Harv -The burbs just to the west of monkey island

> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

Ben Fox
February 3rd 05, 04:11 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Ben Fox wrote:
>
> > "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> >
> >>If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars
> >>and regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until
> >>it dies completely?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth
> >>

> > Tom,
> >
> > I sometimes read the posts here ,but don't answer or initiate any new
posts
> > because it really has nothing to do with recumbents any longer.
> >
> > I am surprised you haven't migrated to the BROL site,at least the talk
is
> > about recumbents.
> >
> > I believe there's even an " Ed Gin" posts there, and this one is always
> > perfect gentleman!
>
> Ben,
>
> Are you still riding the Catrike Road, or did you sell it and buy
> something else?
>
> [Ben bought a used bike from someone who used to be an
> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent regular. This bike was infected with the
> recumbentitus virus, which causes the owner to frequently buy and sell
> recumbent bicycles and trikes. ;)]
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom,

I liked the trike,but got tired of getting passed by normally slower riders
on 2 wheels.

I bought a used V2 ,[just like the one I had and sold a couple years
earlier]. I updated the bars , riser and fairing.

I have 2 tail soks for it and a body sok . I think I've found the bike I'll
keep,I seem to be fastest on it and the P-38 ,which I sold last year.

I only have the V2 now.

Ben

Freewheeling
February 3rd 05, 05:51 AM
Count me in, or as Zarqawi's first lieutenant said to him recently in Mosul
"You have my vote, sir," which, for some reason, didn't strike the
psychopath as either properly deferential or funny, so he promptly chopped
the guy's head off with a can opener. So, you know... some can take a joke,
and some can't.

--
--Scott
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars and
> regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until it
> dies completely?
>
> --
> Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth

G. Morgan
February 3rd 05, 05:55 AM
Subject: Re: To the <10 people still here
Newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
=> Freewheeling <= wrote:

>Count me in, or as Zarqawi's first lieutenant said to him recently in Mosul
>"You have my vote, sir," which, for some reason, didn't strike the
>psychopath as either properly deferential or funny, so he promptly chopped
>the guy's head off with a can opener. So, you know... some can take a joke,
>and some can't.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

good one!

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

February 3rd 05, 06:02 AM
Just an observation Tom, but the arbr problem has nothing to do with
politics or political comments. The problem is a balls to the wall flame
war between Ed Dolan and one of your Chicago pals whose name you prefer not
to reveal. Everyone but you and the one called Crazy Monkey say that person
is Ed Gin.

Aside from that, I'm wondering if your self-restraint from manifesting
political comments is a forevermore commitment? If not do you have an
"exit plan" from that position you would like to share?

skip

Freewheeling
February 3rd 05, 06:08 AM
OK, OK... that was my last decapitation joke. Well, my last terrorist joke
in general. Not that it was funny, which of course it wasn't. Of course
not.

Well, although it's not especially on topic at least this is a different
topic. I'm apparently cursed because the only alcoholic beverage I can
tolerate (apart from a glass of very dry wine once in awhile, which usually
gives me a headache) is beer. And beer makes me fat. It doesn't just make
me fat, it makes me *feel* fat, so I don't even get the benefit of a decent
delusion. Plus it's not really nearly as tastie as lemonade. And no, I'm
not gonna drink that brewed stuff that tastes like lemonade because *it's
not freakin' lemonade." It has to be satanic, because lemonade is mixed not
brewed. And, of course, it generally won't get you plastered.

Some people are just doomed to be sober.

Are h*lm*ts off topic too? Not that I give a hoot about h*lm*ts. I've
pretty much had the same h*lm*t for 15 years. Longer than I've had most of
my underwear, in fact. (Not that I actually wear underwear, or anything.)

God, one really has to work at this insobriety if you can't achieve it
through drink. I'm doomed.
--
--Scott
"Freewheeling" > wrote in message
> Count me in, or as Zarqawi's first lieutenant said to him recently in
> Mosul "You have my vote, sir," which, for some reason, didn't strike the
> psychopath as either properly deferential or funny, so he promptly chopped
> the guy's head off with a can opener. So, you know... some can take a
> joke, and some can't.
>
> --
> --Scott
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars
>> and regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until
>> it dies completely?
>>
>> --
>> Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth

G. Morgan
February 3rd 05, 06:19 AM
=> Freewheeling <= wrote:

>OK, OK... that was my last decapitation joke. Well, my last terrorist joke
>in general. Not that it was funny, which of course it wasn't. Of course
>not.

Yes it was.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

February 3rd 05, 06:40 AM
And one more thing. You are forever referring to flame war participants who
don't use their presumed real name as "cowards". Have you called your
Chicago pal a coward yet? Conversely have you ever referred to Ed Dolan as
brave for using his real name?

skip

Mark Leuck
February 3rd 05, 07:54 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars
> and regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until
> it dies completely?
>
> --
> Tom "Guilty in the past" Sherman - Earth

It really wouldn't die no matter what anyone does, instead it ebbs and flows

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 11:20 AM
Ben Fox wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I liked the trike,but got tired of getting passed by normally slower riders
> on 2 wheels.

While I have no intention of selling my Dragonflyer at this point, it is
not what I choose for faster paced rides. With a few notable exceptions,
most find trikes slower overall than single-track recumbents. However,
I think I would be faster overall on the Dragonflyer than any of my
bikes if the roads were really rough, unpaved, or snow/ice covered.

> I bought a used V2 ,[just like the one I had and sold a couple years
> earlier]. I updated the bars , riser and fairing.
>
> I have 2 tail soks for it and a body sok . I think I've found the bike I'll
> keep,I seem to be fastest on it and the P-38 ,which I sold last year.
>
> I only have the V2 now.

I would probably be riding an RANS V^2 (or Formula) with a bodysock if I
lived in a house and/or owned a van. LWB bikes are much more difficult
to get in and out of apartments and small vehicle than a very small bike
such as the Earth Cycles Sunset. I find removing the front fairing,
bodysock, and seat for transport to be enough of an aggravation that I
will choose I bike I can simply throw into a vehicle.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 11:29 AM
wrote:

> Just an observation Tom, but the arbr problem has nothing to do with
> politics or political comments. The problem is a balls to the wall flame
> war between Ed Dolan and one of your Chicago pals whose name you prefer not
> to reveal. Everyone but you and the one called Crazy Monkey say that person
> is Ed Gin.

The activities mentioned above only started in the last few days. Most
of the former regulars and recumbent discussion disappeared well before
that.

Postings to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent generally peaked in mid-2000 to
mid-2001, and underwent a seriously decline in 2004. See
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent/about>.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 11:34 AM
wrote:

> And one more thing. You are forever referring to flame war participants who
> don't use their presumed real name as "cowards". Have you called your
> Chicago pal a coward yet? Conversely have you ever referred to Ed Dolan as
> brave for using his real name?

"Johnny NoCom" is not really a typical flame war participant, since fake
"spam" falls under a different category. He/she is not really arguing
over any matter of substance.

Using an imaginary identity is perfectly fine if the objective is humor
(e.g. Fabrizio Mazzoleni) - I must say that "Johnny NoCom" has a ways to
go to match Fabby in humor, and the repetitive posts are merely annoying.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 3rd 05, 11:46 AM
Freewheeling wrote:

> Well, although it's not especially on topic at least this is a different
> topic. I'm apparently cursed because the only alcoholic beverage I can
> tolerate (apart from a glass of very dry wine once in awhile, which usually
> gives me a headache) is beer. And beer makes me fat. It doesn't just make
> me fat, it makes me *feel* fat, so I don't even get the benefit of a decent
> delusion. Plus it's not really nearly as tastie as lemonade. And no, I'm
> not gonna drink that brewed stuff that tastes like lemonade because *it's
> not freakin' lemonade." It has to be satanic, because lemonade is mixed not
> brewed. And, of course, it generally won't get you plastered....

Odd. Usually it is beer and wine that cause headaches, not distilled
liquor. Neither is a good choice to drink while riding - I think the
cyclists that drink beer on RAGBRAI must spend most of the time riding
in an air conditioned team bus, or they would end up in the hospitals
with dehydration and/or heat exhaustion.

> Some people are just doomed to be sober.
>
> Are h*lm*ts off topic too? Not that I give a hoot about h*lm*ts. I've
> pretty much had the same h*lm*t for 15 years. Longer than I've had most of
> my underwear, in fact. (Not that I actually wear underwear, or anything.)...

H*lm*t discussions are fine as long as they are cross-posted to every
"wreck.bicycles" group. That way the same few people can trot out the
same arguments they have used in every other h*lm*t discussion since the
dawn of Usenet.

> God, one really has to work at this insobriety if you can't achieve it
> through drink. I'm doomed.

Does God respond to posts made in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Edward Dolan
February 3rd 05, 12:36 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> If I refrain from all political comments, will the other semi-regulars and
> regulars join me, or do you insist on ****ing on the newsgroup until it
> dies completely?

The only one ****ing on the group is Ed Gin. His posts are not responsive.
Mine always are (except to Ed Gin of course). It was not political
commentary or being off topic that has got us where we are. It is a ****
head by the name of Ed Gin who has got us where we are. But hey, you do not
care about that, then neither do I.

But who the hell cares what you think about anything anymore. You have lost
all credibility as the conscience of ARBR.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 3rd 05, 01:19 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
>> And one more thing. You are forever referring to flame war participants
>> who
>> don't use their presumed real name as "cowards". Have you called your
>> Chicago pal a coward yet? Conversely have you ever referred to Ed Dolan
>> as
>> brave for using his real name?

Mr. Sherman only knows how to suck ass and ingratiate himself to bullies and
**** heads like Ed Gin. Mr. Sherman is a bully himself, like his mentor Ed
Gin, and only he only takes on those who he knows he can brow beat. I always
suspected Mr.Sherman had a screw loose, but I hadn't relaized what a coward
and a suck ass he is.

> "Johnny NoCom" is not really a typical flame war participant, since fake
> "spam" falls under a different category. He/she is not really arguing over
> any matter of substance.
>
> Using an imaginary identity is perfectly fine if the objective is humor
> (e.g. Fabrizio Mazzoleni) - I must say that "Johnny NoCom" has a ways to
> go to match Fabby in humor, and the repetitive posts are merely annoying.

There is no humor to what Ed Gin is doing on this newsgroup. He is ****ing
on it pure and simple.You are an idiot not to see it that way.

The repetitive posts are not just merely annoying. It is what destroys a
newsgroup. You are an idiot not to see it that way.

If he wanted to post his crap on a few threads of his own, that is one
thing, But when he interleaves his posts on other threads having nothing to
do with him or his ****, then that is nothing but destructive. You are an
idiot not to see it that way.

Using multiple imaginary identities is not fine. It is merely a way of
avoiding responsibility for what you are saying. You are an idiot not to see
it that way.

Ed Gin's objective is not humor. He is too stupid for humor. His objective
is to destroy the group. You are an idiot not to see it that way.

Ed Gin is arguing over substance. The substance under discussion is the
viability of the newsgroup and how we are going to react to his ****. The
fake spam is his method of attack. We can't all be cowards like you. You are
an idiot not to see it that way.

You need to take your ****ing sense of humor and stuff it up your ass. You
are an idiot not to see it that way.

But since Mr. Sherman does not care about this group and won't defend it,
then why should I. Enjoy the battle of the two Ed's. One thing is for sure:
there will not be any newbies coming to ARBR from now on if the battle
continues. There will just be the 10 of you left and you will soon run out
of things to say to one another. But that is what happens when you won't
defend yourselves. You are all idiots not to see it that way.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 3rd 05, 01:27 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
>> Just an observation Tom, but the arbr problem has nothing to do with
>> politics or political comments. The problem is a balls to the wall flame
>> war between Ed Dolan and one of your Chicago pals whose name you prefer
>> not
>> to reveal. Everyone but you and the one called Crazy Monkey say that
>> person
>> is Ed Gin.
>
> The activities mentioned above only started in the last few days. Most of
> the former regulars and recumbent discussion disappeared well before that.
>
> Postings to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent generally peaked in mid-2000 to
> mid-2001, and underwent a seriously decline in 2004. See
> <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent/about>.

Well, why the hell don't you disappear from here too along with all those
other cowards. You definitely belong on BROL as does any one else who
strictly wants to talk about recumbents and where the likes of assholes like
Ed Gin will be excluded. What are you doing here on ARBR anyway? You don't
give a damn about the group because you won't defend it against **** heads
like Ed Gin. The sooner a coward like you is gone from here the better.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Jon Meinecke
February 3rd 05, 01:54 PM
"Ben Fox" > wrote

> I sometimes read the posts here ,but don't answer or initiate
> any new posts because it really has nothing to do with
> recumbents any longer.

BROL is a great resource. Please consider posting/responding
to topical messages here, too. There are likely more than 10
people here who would appreciate it!

The newsgroup is probably forever changed, but we can
drastically improve the curb-appeal of ARBR if there are
people willing to engage in reasonable discussion, share their
experiences, pose interesting questions, respond kindly to
newbies, etc...

Avoid flame wars, abusive posts, trolling, baiting, etc. Kill filing
those who engage in these may help greatly in removing the
temptation to respond. In the occurrence of activities persistently
and clearly in violation of service providers' terms of use policies,
complain to the poster's ISP and/or news feed provider.

Jon Meinecke

February 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
Ah So. Number one son Sherman say Johnny NoCom no coward. Johnny NoCom
humorous salesman of NoCom bicycle. Number one son see no flame war.

Number one son....how you say.....dunce.

CC

February 3rd 05, 03:24 PM
I notice you avoided answering the question about your "exit plan". Are you
morphing into a Tom W. Sherman? Cool.

Edward Dolan
February 3rd 05, 03:43 PM
> wrote in message
>I notice you avoided answering the question about your "exit plan". Are
>you
> morphing into a Tom W. Sherman? Cool.

Hey Skip, notice how I am taking up all this idiot Ed Gin's time. I am
performing as always a useful service for the group as the rest of you can
now go about your business of posting on normal threads. No more Johnny
NoCom ****!

Do not bother with anything I am saying to this Ed Gin character. It is just
going to be copy and paste with him, nothing but name calling. Maybe when
you come back from your vacation it will all be over, but I can go on doing
what I am doing forever as it only takes a few minutes. But I suspect even I
will tire of this shortly. An intelligent person like me can never outlast
an idiot like him. I do not worry about the health of the group anymore as I
now know that no one gives a damn. So be it!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

February 3rd 05, 03:59 PM
Hey Ed, I think if you gave this Ed Gin character a good dog cussin' he'd
tuck tail and run. Why don't you give it a try?

skip

Edward Dolan
February 3rd 05, 04:11 PM
Hey Skip, notice how I am taking up A.R.B.Rs threads with my idiot posts. I am
performing as always a useful service for myself Ed Dolan as the rest of you can
now go about your business of posting on normal threads. No more Johnny
NoCom ****!

Do not bother with anything I am saying to any of you at A.R.B.R. It is just
going to be copy and paste with me, nothing but name calling. Maybe when
you come back from your vacation it will all be over, but I can go on doing
what I am doing forever as it only takes a few minutes. But I suspect even I
will tire of this shortly. An stupid honkey race hater like me Ed Doaln can
post all day and night. I do not worry about my mental health problems
anymore as I now know that no one gives a damn. So be it!

Ed Dolan the Great White Asshole - Minnesota

Jon Meinecke
February 3rd 05, 06:18 PM
> wrote

Skip,

Just noticed your email domain...

Last I bought a couple of upright bikes from qualitybikes.com, aka
bicycleblowout.com. I dealt with Chris, not Skip, if I recall correctly.

Got some good prices on some old-model-year bikes and very good
service. Bikes were setup and packed very well and arrived on time
and in good shape.

Any chance BicycleBlowout will be selling recumbents anytime soon?

Jon Meinecke

Mark Leuck
February 3rd 05, 11:34 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
> > And one more thing. You are forever referring to flame war participants
who
> > don't use their presumed real name as "cowards". Have you called your
> > Chicago pal a coward yet? Conversely have you ever referred to Ed Dolan
as
> > brave for using his real name?
>
> "Johnny NoCom" is not really a typical flame war participant, since fake
> "spam" falls under a different category. He/she is not really arguing
> over any matter of substance.
>
> Using an imaginary identity is perfectly fine if the objective is humor
> (e.g. Fabrizio Mazzoleni) - I must say that "Johnny NoCom" has a ways to
> go to match Fabby in humor, and the repetitive posts are merely annoying.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

I was hoping for a Fabrizio/Johnny matchup, I'm sure Fab has gone MUCH
faster on his DF race bike than Johnny will ever hope to achieve :)

Tom Sherman
February 4th 05, 12:32 AM
Jon Meinecke wrote:

> The newsgroup is probably forever changed, but we can
> drastically improve the curb-appeal of ARBR if there are
> people willing to engage in reasonable discussion, share their
> experiences, pose interesting questions, respond kindly to
> newbies, etc....

Bringing back Beth F, John Harper, Jeff Cowan, Bob Cardone et al would
help, as they all contributed significantly when the group was at is
high point ca. 2000. Heck, I would even be nice and not complain if a
certain resident of Greater Houston came back. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 4th 05, 12:46 AM
wrote:

> Ah So. Number one son Sherman say Johnny NoCom no coward. Johnny NoCom
> humorous salesman of NoCom bicycle. Number one son see no flame war....

Skip,

You should know better than to twist what other people say. Especially
when you know someone is being pedantic.

Take the issue of Fabrizio Mazzoleni. It would not be funny if the
person responsible for the posts used his/her real name instead of this
"pen name". Hardly anyone objects to Fabby because he injects
lighthearted humor into the cycling newsgroup.

Posting the same irrelevant post to every thread is annoying if done
once or twice, and offensive if continued beyond that. But it does not
meet the usual definition of a "flame war", which is an unnecessarily
heated discussion over a particular issue (or issues). Merely trading
insults does not constitute a "flame war" if there is no discussion
going on.

As implied above, it is also a matter of quantity. A "Johnny NoCom" post
here and there is either unimportant or mildly humorous. The same post
on every thread is offensive.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 4th 05, 12:47 AM
Mark Leuck wrote:

> I was hoping for a Fabrizio/Johnny matchup, I'm sure Fab has gone MUCH
> faster on his DF race bike than Johnny will ever hope to achieve :)

Who has the faster imagination?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 4th 05, 12:51 AM
wrote:

> I notice you avoided answering the question about your "exit plan". Are you
> morphing into a Tom W. Sherman? Cool.

Indefinite pronoun alert! Who is "you"?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Mark Leuck
February 4th 05, 01:58 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Mark Leuck wrote:

> > I was hoping for a Fabrizio/Johnny matchup, I'm sure Fab has gone MUCH
> > faster on his DF race bike than Johnny will ever hope to achieve :)
>
> Who has the faster imagination?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

Exactly

Freewheeling
February 4th 05, 04:55 AM
--
--Scott
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Freewheeling wrote:

>> Well, although it's not especially on topic at least this is a different
>> topic. I'm apparently cursed because the only alcoholic beverage I can
>> tolerate (apart from a glass of very dry wine once in awhile, which
>> usually gives me a headache) is beer. And beer makes me fat. It doesn't
>> just make me fat, it makes me *feel* fat, so I don't even get the benefit
>> of a decent delusion. Plus it's not really nearly as tastie as lemonade.
>> And no, I'm not gonna drink that brewed stuff that tastes like lemonade
>> because *it's not freakin' lemonade." It has to be satanic, because
>> lemonade is mixed not brewed. And, of course, it generally won't get you
>> plastered....
>
> Odd. Usually it is beer and wine that cause headaches, not distilled
> liquor. Neither is a good choice to drink while riding - I think the
> cyclists that drink beer on RAGBRAI must spend most of the time riding in
> an air conditioned team bus, or they would end up in the hospitals with
> dehydration and/or heat exhaustion.

No, no... wine & beer = headaches. (Beer less so than wine.) Hard liquor =
pangs of hell. However, I do manage to down a small glass of cognac from
time to time, just for the warm eusophageal dousing it gives my GERD. I
consider it medicine.

>> Some people are just doomed to be sober.
>>
>> Are h*lm*ts off topic too? Not that I give a hoot about h*lm*ts. I've
>> pretty much had the same h*lm*t for 15 years. Longer than I've had most
>> of my underwear, in fact. (Not that I actually wear underwear, or
>> anything.)...
>
> H*lm*t discussions are fine as long as they are cross-posted to every
> "wreck.bicycles" group. That way the same few people can trot out the same
> arguments they have used in every other h*lm*t discussion since the dawn
> of Usenet.
>
>> God, one really has to work at this insobriety if you can't achieve it
>> through drink. I'm doomed.
>
> Does God respond to posts made in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

Gary Fritz
February 4th 05, 05:43 AM
Tom Sherman > wrote:
> Postings to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent generally peaked in
> mid-2000 to mid-2001, and underwent a seriously decline in 2004.

Monthly averages of 3000-3500 posts in 2000-2002, 2600 in 2003, and
1400 in 2004. And when you consider that the vast majority of posts in
2004 involved various flavors of flame war usually involving you and Ed
Dolan, I'd say the group was pretty much ruined. Apparently that
hasn't changed, since Google says Dolan accounts for 1/3 of the posts
this month. Now the various NoCom / EdGin / Monkey / etc crap is
taking it down even further.

I barely look at it any more. Why would anyone want to read this
drivel? Pity something so nice got destroyed.

Jon Meinecke
February 4th 05, 12:22 PM
"Gary Fritz" > wrote

> Google says Dolan accounts for 1/3 of the posts
> this month. Now the various NoCom / EdGin / Monkey / etc crap is
> taking it down even further.
>
> I barely look at it any more. Why would anyone want to read this
> drivel? Pity something so nice got destroyed.

Post and respond to more topical messages here and the situation
may be improved.

Jon Meinecke

You must become the change you wish to see in the world. - M.K. Gandhi

Freewheeling
February 4th 05, 02:28 PM
Gary:

What are the "per group" averages for usenet? I'm thinking that it's usenet
that's dying, and not just this newsgroup. And not so much because of the
behavior, but because the alternatives (web forums, blogs) are on the rise.

--
--Scott
"Gary Fritz" > wrote in message
> Tom Sherman > wrote:
>> Postings to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent generally peaked in
>> mid-2000 to mid-2001, and underwent a seriously decline in 2004.
>
> Monthly averages of 3000-3500 posts in 2000-2002, 2600 in 2003, and
> 1400 in 2004. And when you consider that the vast majority of posts in
> 2004 involved various flavors of flame war usually involving you and Ed
> Dolan, I'd say the group was pretty much ruined. Apparently that
> hasn't changed, since Google says Dolan accounts for 1/3 of the posts
> this month. Now the various NoCom / EdGin / Monkey / etc crap is
> taking it down even further.
>
> I barely look at it any more. Why would anyone want to read this
> drivel? Pity something so nice got destroyed.

February 4th 05, 02:40 PM
Sounds to me as if you, Thomas W. Sherman, learned a real life lesson on why
it's not always a good plan to reveal your exit strategy just because some
politically motivated types are hammering on you.

Gary Fritz
February 4th 05, 06:37 PM
"Freewheeling" > wrote:
> What are the "per group" averages for usenet? I'm thinking that
> it's usenet that's dying, and not just this newsgroup.

I don't know the usenet averages as a whole, but I picked a group at
random: alt.home.repair. A basic, steady, non-trendy group. Monthly
averages for each year since 1998 are: 5700, 6800, 6400, 5900, 6500,
6800, 7500, and 9400 last month. Doesn't look to me like it's dying.
Several other groups I looked at were similar.

Usenet is doing just fine, where it isn't intentionally destroyed by
flamers, idiots, and assholes.

Freewheeling
February 4th 05, 08:05 PM
"Usenet is doing just fine, where it isn't intentionally destroyed by
flamers, idiots, and assholes."

Well, I'm still not going to be convinced by a single case. My impression
is that Usenet is more vulnerable to trolls than the other media, mainly due
to cross-posting. And, again, every forum, group, or list I'm part of has
been battling over what I call the totalitarianism vs liberalism issue since
911. Those few groups that are severely moderated actually created
unmoderated spinoff groups so that people could continue to discuss these
issues. Now, I'm not sure why people insist on discussing this stuff with
each other rather than in groups devoted to the topic, but it's possible
that they just prefer discussions with people they know a little, as opposed
to rank strangers.

Also, if you go to a forum like Democratic Underground you're really only
going to encounter one point of view... and some people just aren't
stimulated by that. (And they also might have a healthy skepticism of
groupthink.)

Now, I guess I have to say that the war is usually not a big topic on the
gun forums, like Highroad... although it does come up. The debates there
are, however, surprisingly civil. Well, that's probably because it's
moderated, come to think of it. The moderation isn't severe, though, except
in certain dedicated threads and discussions. I also haven't been paying
attention to the HPV list very much, but would be surprised if they hadn't
avoided most of the intense debates. Of course, that's moderated too. So,
there yah go.

On the other side of the argument, those other venues don't have kill files.

--
--Scott
"Gary Fritz" > wrote in message
> "Freewheeling" > wrote:
>> What are the "per group" averages for usenet? I'm thinking that
>> it's usenet that's dying, and not just this newsgroup.
>
> I don't know the usenet averages as a whole, but I picked a group at
> random: alt.home.repair. A basic, steady, non-trendy group. Monthly
> averages for each year since 1998 are: 5700, 6800, 6400, 5900, 6500,
> 6800, 7500, and 9400 last month. Doesn't look to me like it's dying.
> Several other groups I looked at were similar.
>
> Usenet is doing just fine, where it isn't intentionally destroyed by
> flamers, idiots, and assholes.

February 5th 05, 09:43 PM
On 3-Feb-2005, Tom Sherman > wrote:

> You should know better than to twist what other people say. Especially
> when you know someone is being pedantic.

Does P*rry B*utl*r know you are a pedantic?

skip

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 04:30 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Jon Meinecke wrote:

>> The newsgroup is probably forever changed, but we can
>> drastically improve the curb-appeal of ARBR if there are
>> people willing to engage in reasonable discussion, share their
>> experiences, pose interesting questions, respond kindly to
>> newbies, etc....
>
> Bringing back Beth F, John Harper, Jeff Cowan, Bob Cardone et al would
> help, as they all contributed significantly when the group was at is high
> point ca. 2000. Heck, I would even be nice and not complain if a certain
> resident of Greater Houston came back. ;)

As long as you keep your ****ing liberal socialist-communist opinions to
yourself, all would be well.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 04:36 AM
"Freewheeling" > wrote in message

> --
> --Scott
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> Freewheeling wrote:

>>> Well, although it's not especially on topic at least this is a different
>>> topic. I'm apparently cursed because the only alcoholic beverage I can
>>> tolerate (apart from a glass of very dry wine once in awhile, which
>>> usually gives me a headache) is beer. And beer makes me fat. It
>>> doesn't just make me fat, it makes me *feel* fat, so I don't even get
>>> the benefit of a decent delusion. Plus it's not really nearly as tastie
>>> as lemonade. And no, I'm not gonna drink that brewed stuff that tastes
>>> like lemonade because *it's not freakin' lemonade." It has to be
>>> satanic, because lemonade is mixed not brewed. And, of course, it
>>> generally won't get you plastered....
>>
>> Odd. Usually it is beer and wine that cause headaches, not distilled
>> liquor. Neither is a good choice to drink while riding - I think the
>> cyclists that drink beer on RAGBRAI must spend most of the time riding in
>> an air conditioned team bus, or they would end up in the hospitals with
>> dehydration and/or heat exhaustion.
>
> No, no... wine & beer = headaches. (Beer less so than wine.) Hard liquor
> = pangs of hell. However, I do manage to down a small glass of cognac
> from time to time, just for the warm eusophageal dousing it gives my GERD.
> I consider it medicine.

I will say one thing for alcohol. It works every time which is more than I
can say for the ton of prescription medications I am taking. Those who put
alcohol down do not know what they are talking about.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 04:41 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
>> Ah So. Number one son Sherman say Johnny NoCom no coward. Johnny NoCom
>> humorous salesman of NoCom bicycle. Number one son see no flame war....
>
> Skip,
>
> You should know better than to twist what other people say. Especially
> when you know someone is being pedantic.
>
> Take the issue of Fabrizio Mazzoleni. It would not be funny if the person
> responsible for the posts used his/her real name instead of this "pen
> name". Hardly anyone objects to Fabby because he injects lighthearted
> humor into the cycling newsgroup.

Fabrizzio is an angel compared to Ed Gin.

> Posting the same irrelevant post to every thread is annoying if done once
> or twice, and offensive if continued beyond that. But it does not meet the
> usual definition of a "flame war", which is an unnecessarily heated
> discussion over a particular issue (or issues). Merely trading insults
> does not constitute a "flame war" if there is no discussion going on.

Why the **** don't you tell that to your buddy Ed Gin, the worst offender of
Usenet rules and etiquette that ever was.

> As implied above, it is also a matter of quantity. A "Johnny NoCom" post
> here and there is either unimportant or mildly humorous. The same post on
> every thread is offensive.

Tell it to him (Ed Gin), not Skip, you jackass!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 04:44 AM
"Mark Leuck" > wrote in message

> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> Mark Leuck wrote:

>> > I was hoping for a Fabrizio/Johnny matchup, I'm sure Fab has gone MUCH
>> > faster on his DF race bike than Johnny will ever hope to achieve :)
>>
>> Who has the faster imagination?
>>
>> --
>> Tom Sherman - Earth
>
> Exactly

They are both one note Johnnies. Is that what you jackasses like to read -
one note Johnnies?

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 04:54 AM
"Freewheeling" > wrote in message
> Gary:
>
> What are the "per group" averages for usenet? I'm thinking that it's
> usenet that's dying, and not just this newsgroup. And not so much because
> of the behavior, but because the alternatives (web forums, blogs) are on
> the rise.

Yes, it is Usenet that is dying and it will be as dead as door nail soon.
And it will be because of assholes like Ed Gin. I myself am preparing to
leave this ****ed up group. It is full of idiots and fools and jackasses. I
predict the future will consist of ONLY moderated forums where editors can
exclude assholes like Ed Gin.

A blog is nothing but a writer who depends on others to read him. Who in his
right mind would ever want to read someone like Ed Gin.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

> --
> --Scott
> "Gary Fritz" > wrote in message
>> Tom Sherman > wrote:
>>> Postings to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent generally peaked in
>>> mid-2000 to mid-2001, and underwent a seriously decline in 2004.
>>
>> Monthly averages of 3000-3500 posts in 2000-2002, 2600 in 2003, and
>> 1400 in 2004. And when you consider that the vast majority of posts in
>> 2004 involved various flavors of flame war usually involving you and Ed
>> Dolan, I'd say the group was pretty much ruined. Apparently that
>> hasn't changed, since Google says Dolan accounts for 1/3 of the posts
>> this month. Now the various NoCom / EdGin / Monkey / etc crap is
>> taking it down even further.
>>
>> I barely look at it any more. Why would anyone want to read this
>> drivel? Pity something so nice got destroyed.

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 04:58 AM
"Gary Fritz" > wrote in message
> "Freewheeling" > wrote:
>> What are the "per group" averages for usenet? I'm thinking that
>> it's usenet that's dying, and not just this newsgroup.
>
> I don't know the usenet averages as a whole, but I picked a group at
> random: alt.home.repair. A basic, steady, non-trendy group. Monthly
> averages for each year since 1998 are: 5700, 6800, 6400, 5900, 6500,
> 6800, 7500, and 9400 last month. Doesn't look to me like it's dying.
> Several other groups I looked at were similar.
>
> Usenet is doing just fine, where it isn't intentionally destroyed by
> flamers, idiots, and assholes.

A single asshole can easily destroy a newsgroup. You are deluded to think
otherwise. Ed Gin can take down
ARBR without half trying and the rest of you are too ignorant and stupid to
even know what is happening.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
February 6th 05, 05:07 AM
"Freewheeling" > wrote in message
> "Usenet is doing just fine, where it isn't intentionally destroyed by
> flamers, idiots, and assholes."
>
> Well, I'm still not going to be convinced by a single case. My impression
> is that Usenet is more vulnerable to trolls than the other media, mainly
> due to cross-posting. And, again, every forum, group, or list I'm part of
> has been battling over what I call the totalitarianism vs liberalism issue
> since 911. Those few groups that are severely moderated actually created
> unmoderated spinoff groups so that people could continue to discuss these
> issues. Now, I'm not sure why people insist on discussing this stuff with
> each other rather than in groups devoted to the topic, but it's possible
> that they just prefer discussions with people they know a little, as
> opposed to rank strangers.

All it takes is one rank stranger like Ed Gin to destroy the group.

> Also, if you go to a forum like Democratic Underground you're really only
> going to encounter one point of view... and some people just aren't
> stimulated by that. (And they also might have a healthy skepticism of
> groupthink.)
>
> Now, I guess I have to say that the war is usually not a big topic on the
> gun forums, like Highroad... although it does come up. The debates there
> are, however, surprisingly civil. Well, that's probably because it's
> moderated, come to think of it. The moderation isn't severe, though,
> except in certain dedicated threads and discussions. I also haven't been
> paying attention to the HPV list very much, but would be surprised if they
> hadn't avoided most of the intense debates. Of course, that's moderated
> too. So, there yah go.
>
> On the other side of the argument, those other venues don't have kill
> files.

Kill files don't really solve anything at all. Again, Ed Gin proves that
with all his pseudonyms.

Usenet is doomed. Only a moderator (editor) can save any group. Scott
(Freewheeling) is right as usual. We should be thanking Ed Gin for showing
us what Usenet groups are good for - nothing!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

> --
> --Scott
> "Gary Fritz" > wrote in message
>> "Freewheeling" > wrote:
>>> What are the "per group" averages for usenet? I'm thinking that
>>> it's usenet that's dying, and not just this newsgroup.
>>
>> I don't know the usenet averages as a whole, but I picked a group at
>> random: alt.home.repair. A basic, steady, non-trendy group. Monthly
>> averages for each year since 1998 are: 5700, 6800, 6400, 5900, 6500,
>> 6800, 7500, and 9400 last month. Doesn't look to me like it's dying.
>> Several other groups I looked at were similar.
>>
>> Usenet is doing just fine, where it isn't intentionally destroyed by
>> flamers, idiots, and assholes.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home