PDA

View Full Version : Have you bought a BigHa lately?

skip
February 19th 05, 02:21 AM
Someone did. And as a present they gave it to a woman in San Francisco.
She immediately listed it on eBay with a starting bid of $2,000.00 before
she even received the gifted BigHa. It got no bids so she's stuck with her
"present" for the time being.

I hope no one I know recently bought a BigHa for a San Francisco woman. If
you did...well, you have my sympathy.

Now I she has re-listed the bike, so if you are interested in a potential
bargain BigHa you can check it out at:

http://tinyurl.com/3vqof

Happy bidding.

skip

Tom Sherman
February 19th 05, 02:45 AM
skip wrote:

> Someone did. And as a present they gave it to a woman in San Francisco.
> She immediately listed it on eBay with a starting bid of $2,000.00 before
> she even received the gifted BigHa. It got no bids so she's stuck with her
> "present" for the time being.
>
> I hope no one I know recently bought a BigHa for a San Francisco woman. If
> you did...well, you have my sympathy.
>
> Now I she has re-listed the bike, so if you are interested in a potential
> bargain BigHa you can check it out at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3vqof
>
> Happy bidding.

From the eBay posting: "This bike is being sent to me, it is so new
that I haven't seen it yet! It is custom made and designed for your
body. (This bike was a present sent to me..."

I see logic is not the strong point of "415jennifer747."

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Zach
February 19th 05, 03:46 AM
skip wrote:
> Someone did. And as a present they gave it to a woman in San
Francisco.
> She immediately listed it on eBay with a starting bid of $2,000.00
before
> she even received the gifted BigHa. It got no bids so she's stuck
with her
> "present" for the time being.
>
> I hope no one I know recently bought a BigHa for a San Francisco
woman. If
> you did...well, you have my sympathy.
>
> Now I she has re-listed the bike, so if you are interested in a
potential
> bargain BigHa you can check it out at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3vqof
>
> Happy bidding.
>
> skip

I wonder if the person who gave her the bike knows she is auctioning it
off on eBay before she even receives it. I notice she has no record of
previous auctions or feedback but I guess you have to start somewhere.
I have yet to register with eBay. The hpv-forsale list,
rec.bicycles.marketplace newsgroup and for sale forum on BROL work well
enough and are free. I know a few people who are on eBay and they seem
addicted to it, constantly buying things and monitoring auctions. I'd
rather be out riding.

Zach

Tom Sherman
February 19th 05, 03:59 AM
Zach wrote:

> skip wrote:
>
>>Someone did. And as a present they gave it to a woman in San
>
> Francisco.
>
>>She immediately listed it on eBay with a starting bid of $2,000.00
>
> before
>
>>she even received the gifted BigHa. It got no bids so she's stuck
>
> with her
>
>>"present" for the time being.
>>
>>I hope no one I know recently bought a BigHa for a San Francisco
>
> woman. If
>
>>you did...well, you have my sympathy.
>>
>>Now I she has re-listed the bike, so if you are interested in a
>
> potential
>
>>bargain BigHa you can check it out at:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/3vqof
>>
>>Happy bidding.
>>
>>skip
>

> I wonder if the person who gave her the bike knows she is auctioning it
> off on eBay before she even receives it. I notice she has no record of
> previous auctions or feedback but I guess you have to start somewhere.

If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a "backdoor"
sales channel for BigHa.

> I have yet to register with eBay. The hpv-forsale list,
> rec.bicycles.marketplace newsgroup and for sale forum on BROL work well
> enough and are free. I know a few people who are on eBay and they seem
> addicted to it, constantly buying things and monitoring auctions. I'd
> rather be out riding.

I let other people purchase HPV's off eBay for me.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Zach
February 19th 05, 04:18 AM
Tom Sherman wrote:

> If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a
"backdoor"
> sales channel for BigHa.

Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
$2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
somewhat.

> I let other people purchase HPV's off eBay for me.

Good policy, let them take the majority of the depreciation.

Tom Sherman
February 19th 05, 04:42 AM
Zach wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>>If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a "backdoor"
>>sales channel for BigHa.
>
> Now who would be cynical around here?

Lorenzo L. Love?

> I wonder how many of these BikeE,
> I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
> having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
> $2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
> somewhat.
>
>>I let other people purchase HPV's off eBay for me.
>
> Good policy, let them take the majority of the depreciation.

I managed to get a Dragonflyer with less than 10 miles on it for less
than one-half the price of a new BigHa "Complete" that someone else
purchased for me off an eBay action (sorry Mr. Varney).

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Mark Leuck
February 19th 05, 06:04 AM
"Zach" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> > If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a
> "backdoor"
> > sales channel for BigHa.
>
> Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
> I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
> having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
> $2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
> somewhat.

It's possible she didn't know how much the bike cost the person who bought
it for her?

Mark Leuck
February 19th 05, 06:07 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Zach wrote:
>
> > Tom Sherman wrote:
> >
> >>If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a "backdoor"
> >>sales channel for BigHa.
> >
> > Now who would be cynical around here?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love?
>
> > I wonder how many of these BikeE,
> > I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
> > having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
> > $2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
> > somewhat.
> >
> >>I let other people purchase HPV's off eBay for me.
> >
> > Good policy, let them take the majority of the depreciation.
>
> I managed to get a Dragonflyer with less than 10 miles on it for less
> than one-half the price of a new BigHa "Complete" that someone else
> purchased for me off an eBay action (sorry Mr. Varney).
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

True but your Dragonflyer didn't come with a "high tech supercomputer", turn
signals, lights, air adjustable seats etc

Tom Sherman
February 19th 05, 10:06 AM
Mark Leuck wrote:

> "Zach" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>>>If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a "backdoor"
>>>sales channel for BigHa.
>>
>>Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
>>I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
>>having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
>>$2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
>>somewhat.
>

> It's possible she didn't know how much the bike cost the person who bought
> it for her?

The picture and much of the text of the eBay auction page are taken
directly from the BigHa website, so it is extremely unlikely that the
seller does not know the retail price of the bike.

Compare <http://www.bigha.com/start_exploring/what/index.php> to
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7136027529>.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman
February 19th 05, 10:09 AM
Mark Leuck wrote:

>>>Good policy, let them take the majority of the depreciation.
>>
>>I managed to get a Dragonflyer with less than 10 miles on it for less
>>than one-half the price of a new BigHa "Complete" that someone else
>>purchased for me off an eBay action (sorry Mr. Varney).
>>
>>--
>>Tom Sherman - Earth
>

> True but your Dragonflyer didn't come with a "high tech supercomputer", turn
> signals, lights, air adjustable seats etc

The point is not to compare my Dragonflyer to a BigHa, but to compare
what I paid compared to what Earth Cycle’s retail price for a
Dragonflyer was (before they went out of business).

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

skip
February 19th 05, 11:55 AM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Mark Leuck wrote:

>>>I managed to get a Dragonflyer with less than 10 miles on it for less
>>>than one-half the price of a new BigHa "Complete" that someone else
>>>purchased for me off an eBay action (sorry Mr. Varney).
>>>
>>>--
>>>Tom Sherman - Earth
>>

>> True but your Dragonflyer didn't come with a "high tech supercomputer",
>> turn
>> signals, lights, air adjustable seats etc
>
> The point is not to compare my Dragonflyer to a BigHa, but to compare what
> I paid compared to what Earth Cycle’s retail price for a Dragonflyer was
> (before they went out of business).
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

Which is, if I were to venture a guess, the primary reason Earth Cycle went
out of business. In all likelihood you paid less for the trike than it cost
to make it. Shouldn't a proper liberal feel bad about taking this kind of
advantage?

skip

skip
February 19th 05, 12:23 PM
"Mark Leuck" > wrote in message

> "Zach" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>> > If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a
>> "backdoor"
>> > sales channel for BigHa.
>>
>> Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
>> I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
>> having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
>> $2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
>> somewhat.
>
> It's possible she didn't know how much the bike cost the person who bought
> it for her?

Her opening bid amount was $2,000.00 with a reserve. We don't know what her
reserve (an amount below which she will not sell) is - it could be $4,000.
On the first go round she didn't get anyone willing to open up the bidding
which probably has something to do with the illogic Tom pointed out of
trying to sell a bike "custom made" for "her body" and not giving potential
bidders any information about "her body".

I've got the feeling she's not going to be able to convert this gift into as
much cash as she's hoping for. It would be interesting to know the real
story. But there's one thing I'm sure of and that is that it wasn't
Lorenzo L. Love who paid for the BigHa.

skip

Mark Leuck
February 19th 05, 03:10 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Mark Leuck wrote:
>
> The point is not to compare my Dragonflyer to a BigHa, but to compare
> what I paid compared to what Earth Cycle’s retail price for a
> Dragonflyer was (before they went out of business).
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

What was the retail price of the Dragonflyer?

Zach
February 19th 05, 03:20 PM
Mark Leuck wrote:

> What was the retail price of the Dragonflyer?

When the Dragonflyer was first introduced in the summer of 1998 it had
an introductory price of $2675 which went up to $2995 after 18 July
1998. These early Dragonflyers had Sachs drum brakes. The base price
increased over the years and in 2001 which was their last year of
production the base price was $3849 and that included Avid mechanical
disc brakes on custom Phil Wood hubs.

Zach

Freewheeling
February 23rd 05, 05:20 AM
What the deuce is a BigHa? It sounds like the name was inspired by preteen
scatological humor. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

--
--Scott
"Zach" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> If a person were cynical, they might suspect that this was a
> "backdoor"
>> sales channel for BigHa.
>
> Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
> I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
> having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
> $2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
> somewhat.
>
>> I let other people purchase HPV's off eBay for me.
>
> Good policy, let them take the majority of the depreciation.

Tom Sherman
February 23rd 05, 05:34 AM
Freewheeling wrote:

> What the deuce is a BigHa? It sounds like the name was inspired by preteen
> scatological humor. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

A bigha is a unit used for measuring land in India.

The proprietor of BigHa is John Acres. Coincidence?

"Have you bought a Bigha at the full retail price? If not, why? Is it
not worth $3000.00?" [1] - Lorenzo L. Love

[1] Price at the time LLL made the quote.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Freewheeling
February 23rd 05, 05:37 AM
Yah gotta think the guy who bought it for her either isn't playing with a
full deck (which could be a temporary condition related to having his brain
in the wrong head) or he has way too much discretionary income. Anyway, it
appears that the item has already been removed, so maybe they made up.

--
--Scott
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Mark Leuck wrote:
>
>> "Zach" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>>Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
>>>I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
>>>having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
>>>$2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
>>>somewhat.
>>

>> It's possible she didn't know how much the bike cost the person who
>> bought
>> it for her?
>
> The picture and much of the text of the eBay auction page are taken
> directly from the BigHa website, so it is extremely unlikely that the
> seller does not know the retail price of the bike.
>
> Compare <http://www.bigha.com/start_exploring/what/index.php> to
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7136027529>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Earth

Freewheeling
February 23rd 05, 05:39 AM
Maybe it's Marcie, and she's just reluctant to admit that she changed her
mind before even taking delivery. heh.

--
--Scott
"skip" > wrote in message

> "Mark Leuck" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Zach" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> "backdoor"
>>>
>>> Now who would be cynical around here? I wonder how many of these BikeE,
>>> I mean BiGHA is selling out the front door for $4200. I would think
>>> having the bikes showing up on eBay brand new with a starting price of
>>> $2000 would cheapen the high end image they are trying to cultivate
>>> somewhat.
>>
>> It's possible she didn't know how much the bike cost the person who
>> bought
>> it for her?
>>

> Her opening bid amount was $2,000.00 with a reserve. We don't know what
> her reserve (an amount below which she will not sell) is - it could be
> $4,000. On the first go round she didn't get anyone willing to open up the
> bidding which probably has something to do with the illogic Tom pointed
> out of trying to sell a bike "custom made" for "her body" and not giving
> potential bidders any information about "her body".
>
> I've got the feeling she's not going to be able to convert this gift into
> as much cash as she's hoping for. It would be interesting to know the
> real story. But there's one thing I'm sure of and that is that it wasn't
> Lorenzo L. Love who paid for the BigHa.
>
> skip

Mark Leuck
February 23rd 05, 07:41 AM
"Freewheeling" > wrote in message
> Yah gotta think the guy who bought it for her either isn't playing with a
> full deck (which could be a temporary condition related to having his
brain
> in the wrong head) or he has way too much discretionary income. Anyway,
it
> appears that the item has already been removed, so maybe they made up.

And just in time, I suspect Lorenzo Love was waiting in the wings to pounce
on this BigHa thread at any minute

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home