PDA

View Full Version : armstrong attacks... and crashes!

David N. Welton
July 21st 03, 03:31 PM
A spectator hooked his handlebar when he was attacking and crashed
lance up the climb... ullrich and hamilton waited for him.

Wow...

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Robert Oliver
July 21st 03, 03:32 PM
"David N. Welton" > wrote in message

> A spectator hooked his handlebar when he was attacking and crashed
> lance up the climb... ullrich and hamilton waited for him.

If he doesn't get a new bike he could wipe out at any time...but he's
attacking as I type!

David N. Welton
July 21st 03, 03:33 PM
Lance goes again... looks like it's going to stick this time - Ullrich
is in difficulty.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

David N. Welton
July 21st 03, 03:35 PM
"Erik van Leeuwen" > writes:

> We'll see that moment a zillion times today, but I think it wasn't
> the spectator's fault.

We'll see better with the replays, but I *thought* I saw the spectator
with a little yellow cap in his hand. He stepped back, but the cap
cought the brake hood.

But it happened to quick to be sure.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

Robert Oliver
July 21st 03, 03:36 PM
"David N. Welton" > wrote in message

> A spectator hooked his handlebar when he was attacking and crashed
> lance up the climb... ullrich and hamilton waited for him.

Slo-mo replay shows a fan holding out something that hooks part of Lance's
bike.

Why in hell would anyone do that?

Erik van Leeuwen
July 21st 03, 03:38 PM
At least it wasn't an idiot jumping on the road. It looked like he even
didn't realize that Armstrong fell,

"David N. Welton" > wrote in message
> "Erik van Leeuwen" > writes:
>
> > We'll see that moment a zillion times today, but I think it wasn't
> > the spectator's fault.
>
> We'll see better with the replays, but I *thought* I saw the spectator
> with a little yellow cap in his hand. He stepped back, but the cap
> cought the brake hood.
>
> But it happened to quick to be sure.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
> Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
> Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
> Free Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/
> Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

David N. Welton
July 21st 03, 04:09 PM
Lance, in the post-race interview is saying it was "his fault for
pedaling too close to the spectators". Or at least that is the
italian commentator's translation of the french interviewer talking to
lance in French.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

Erik van Leeuwen
July 21st 03, 04:10 PM
Lance just admitted that it was his own mistake to ride so close to the
spectator who was just waving, but this was not a freakin' idiot. At least
i've seen a million more idiots already...

"Ken Prager" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Erik van Leeuwen" > wrote:
>
> > We'll see that moment a zillion times today, but I think it wasn't the
> > spectator's fault.
> >

> Thank god for TiVo...
>
> It was most definitely the spectator's fault!
>
> He was waving his cap around like a freakin' idiot and hooked
> Armstrong's brake lever. TiVo replay clear shows the hat flying through
> the air as Armstrong hits the ground.
>
> KP
>
> --
> Remove _me_ for e-mail address

Herbie Jurvanen
July 21st 03, 07:30 PM
In >, kaiser wrote:
> Armstrong was practically riding in the gutter. I'd been wondering for
> several minutes before this as to when a rider would clip someone.

And the funny thing is that even though he later admitted that he was too
close to the edge, he was still holding very close to the line after the
crash. I thought he was going to nail this one guy in a goofy fishing hat.

--
Herbie J.
Famous Curator

K. J. Papai
July 21st 03, 08:32 PM
Daniel Connelly > wrote in message >...
> What the Tour needs to to plant goons in the crowd on the side of
> terminal climbs -- every 50 meters will do. This happens way too often. when it happens again,
> those nearby converge and beat the crap out of the idiot.
>
> It would make good video, too.
>
> Dan

I suspect some of the goons in the crowd, who crowd
the racers, and barely get out of the way, are simply Haters,
and are like some of the crowd RBR attracts every year in July.

-Ken

Art Harris
July 21st 03, 09:35 PM
"Robert Oliver" wrote:

> If he doesn't get a new bike he could wipe out at any time...but he's
> attacking as I type!

Yahoo reports he broke a chainstay in this little mishap. And
Armstrong was quoted as saying he could hardly walk after the stage
due to a "locked-up" hip.

Art Harris

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home