PDA

View Full Version : Palm Springs to Pacific Coast

Pamela Dallas
February 27th 05, 01:02 AM
I'm planning a Spring tour starting mid-March from my home in Reno, NV,
down thru Death Valley, on to Palm Springs to visit a friend, then over
to the coast on CA74, up to Santa Barbara to visit family, then a
meander back to Reno most likely up the west side of the central valley
until I can head for Jackson on CA49, thence CA88 over the Sierras.

I would appreciate advice on whether CA74 is a good route over to the
PCH, and whether stealth camping is feasible before getting down to the
coast. I assume I'll be using the international hostel in Santa Monica,
or wherever it is down there. Advice on alternative routes between PS
and PCH with relatively low traffic volume is welcomed.

Thanks,
Pamela
BikeE RX w/ BicycleR Evolution trailer

Leif
February 27th 05, 01:10 AM
Pamela Dallas wrote:
> I'm planning a Spring tour starting mid-March from my home in Reno,
NV,
> down thru Death Valley, on to Palm Springs to visit a friend, then
over
> to the coast on CA74, up to Santa Barbara to visit family, then a
> meander back to Reno most likely up the west side of the central
valley
> until I can head for Jackson on CA49, thence CA88 over the Sierras.
>
> I would appreciate advice on whether CA74 is a good route over to the
> PCH, and whether stealth camping is feasible before getting down to
the
> coast. I assume I'll be using the international hostel in Santa
Monica,
> or wherever it is down there. Advice on alternative routes between PS
> and PCH with relatively low traffic volume is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Pamela
> BikeE RX w/ BicycleR Evolution trailer

Leif
February 27th 05, 01:23 AM
Wow, Pamela!
Sounds like an adventure.

I live in Los Angeles and have a little experience w/ some of the route
you're planning to take.

First, CA74 is a nice route that takes you through the mountains behind
Palm Springs but know this: it can be hot as heck--- even in March.
Having said that, though I've not taken it nearly as far as you plan,
I'm told that it's a nice, scenic way meander west as far down as San
Diego.
As far a PCH in concerned, here I have some camping experience. I
recommend you steer clear of Santa Monica Hostel--- it's a dive.
Rather, take advantage of the many really nice campsites along the
coast. My favorite in that area is Sycamore Cyn. or Sycamore Beach but
you'll have many to choose from and they're all quite nice.
I'll be coming South from SF on PCH in late March so wave if you see a
guy on a Street Machine.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Leif

February 27th 05, 05:02 AM
Pamela Dallas wrote:
> Advice on alternative routes between PS
> and PCH with relatively low traffic volume is welcomed.

Uhh.. between Palm Springs and PCH is the little hamlet of Los Angeles.
This is not a place known for its low traffic volume.

Having said that, I grew up in South Pasadena, and I rode as far east
as San Bernardino and out to PCH several times. I *think* the best way
to go is to stay north-ish, parallel the 210 though Pasadena, then
around the north side of the San Fernando Valley and over the hills
into Ventura. Once you get to Ventura, you'll find that there are
well-worn paths up PCH.

Email me. I have a recumbent-riding friend who lives near Palm Springs.
he may be a little more up-to-date on routes.

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home