PDA

View Full Version : I wish...

Carl Sundquist
July 21st 03, 07:07 PM
The TdF organizers would create a formula to tie the green and polka dot
jerseys to GC so there wouldn't be *completely* different agendas for
competing in the race.

le gopheur de chuckhole
July 21st 03, 08:39 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:07:54 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
> wrote:

>The TdF organizers would create a formula to tie the green and polka dot
>jerseys to GC so there wouldn't be *completely* different agendas for
>competing in the race.

Have to agree with ya on this. Virenque is often guilty of losing
GC time on purpose, so he can go off on unchallened safaris for the
maillot pois. Sadly, the GC contenders just let him roll since he's
many minutes down.

It would be nice if the rules were different so this might not happen
as often.

And speaking of Virenque doing stupid crap, why, when sprinting
against Simoni for the win in stage 14, did he not close the door
through the last turn with only 100 meters to go? I'm amazed that
he left an opening big enough to drive the entire Saeco team bus
through on the inside while trying to win a stage in the TdF? What
is up with that? It looked more like a leadout and he was pulling
off wide on the corner.

Is he that stupid to forget basic sprint tactics 101? or was
there was a cash deal going on for a leadout/faux spint challenge/win
for Simoni?

check out the video of it on OLN if you didnt pay close attention to
it.

windows media player hig band width---
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/oln/tdf2003video/20action3_300.wvx

windows media player low band width---
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/oln/tdf2003video/20action3_056.wvx

quicktime peeps go here and find "stage 14 action Giro champ... wins
the stage" ---- ( this link is a Framedsub page on the
http://tdf.olntv.com/ page):

http://www.olntv.com/tdf03/03tdfvideo.html

g.

Raptor
July 21st 03, 08:47 PM
Carl Sundquist wrote:
> The TdF organizers would create a formula to tie the green and polka dot
> jerseys to GC so there wouldn't be *completely* different agendas for
> competing in the race.

Sorry, but that's a silly idea. Frequently, the points competition is
the only thing breaking up the monotony of the flat stages.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Boyd Speerschneider
July 21st 03, 09:15 PM
le gopheur de chuckhole > wrote in
:

<snip>

> And speaking of Virenque doing stupid crap, why, when sprinting
> against Simoni for the win in stage 14, did he not close the door
> through the last turn with only 100 meters to go? I'm amazed that
> he left an opening big enough to drive the entire Saeco team bus
> through on the inside while trying to win a stage in the TdF? What
> is up with that? It looked more like a leadout and he was pulling
> off wide on the corner.
>
> Is he that stupid to forget basic sprint tactics 101? or was
> there was a cash deal going on for a leadout/faux spint challenge/win
> for Simoni?

Virenque is not a sprinter.
I'm guessing that its one of the few times in his career as a professional
that he actually sprinted against some one.
He was probably just rusty on the tactics involved.
Just my $0.02,

- Boyd S.

David Ryan
July 21st 03, 09:28 PM
Raptor wrote:

> Carl Sundquist wrote:
> > The TdF organizers would create a formula to tie the green and polka dot
> > jerseys to GC so there wouldn't be *completely* different agendas for
> > competing in the race.
> >

> Sorry, but that's a silly idea. Frequently, the points competition is
> the only thing breaking up the monotony of the flat stages.

Maybe they should have all mountain stages? :)

Carl Sundquist
July 22nd 03, 05:05 AM
"Raptor" > wrote in message ...
> Carl Sundquist wrote:
> > The TdF organizers would create a formula to tie the green and polka dot
> > jerseys to GC so there wouldn't be *completely* different agendas for
> > competing in the race.
> >

> Sorry, but that's a silly idea. Frequently, the points competition is
> the only thing breaking up the monotony of the flat stages.

It still could be, and it already is to a certain extent: both the green and
polkydot jerseys are awarded to the finishers of the race with the highest
point totals in their respective speciality. For example: if Cipo or
Petacchi won every flat stage but was a DNF on the last day in Paris, they
would not win the jersey.

I just would like to see a formula that extend beyond that which gives a bit
of weight to GC placing.

Robert Chung
July 22nd 03, 05:44 AM
"Carl Sundquist" > wrote in message

> "Raptor" > wrote in message
> > Carl Sundquist wrote:
> > > The TdF organizers would create a formula to tie the green and polka
dot
> > > jerseys to GC so there wouldn't be *completely* different agendas for
> > > competing in the race.
> > >

> > Sorry, but that's a silly idea. Frequently, the points competition is
> > the only thing breaking up the monotony of the flat stages.
> >

> It still could be, and it already is to a certain extent: both the green
and
> polkydot jerseys are awarded to the finishers of the race with the highest
> point totals in their respective speciality. For example: if Cipo or
> Petacchi won every flat stage but was a DNF on the last day in Paris, they
> would not win the jersey.
>
> I just would like to see a formula that extend beyond that which gives a
bit
> of weight to GC placing.

You could ask Connelly to work out some cumulative weighted ordinal scheme.

Kurgan Gringioni
July 22nd 03, 06:05 AM
"Robert Chung" > wrote in message

> > I just would like to see a formula that extend beyond that which gives a
> bit
> > of weight to GC placing.
>
> You could ask Connelly to work out some cumulative weighted ordinal
scheme.

Connelly will give excessive weight to time trials.

warren
July 22nd 03, 06:46 AM
In article >, Kurgan
Gringioni > wrote:

> "Robert Chung" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > I just would like to see a formula that extend beyond that which gives a
> > bit
> > > of weight to GC placing.
> >
> > You could ask Connelly to work out some cumulative weighted ordinal
> scheme.
>

> Connelly will give excessive weight to time trials.

What's wrong with excessive weight for time trialists?

-WG

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home